306 TCT throttle position sensor - Advice needed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 TCT throttle position sensor - Advice needed
After transplanting the XU10J2TE engine into my 306 I am having issues with the idle speed. The idle air control valve was messing about which I replaced. I have traced the fault to the throttle position sensor. With the sensor plugged in the idle shoots up to 4000 rpm unplug it the revs drop to 1500 rpm. Today I plugged in another sensor I have with it not connected to the throttle housing and using a screw driver to simulate the throttle set the sensor to its stop and the engine sat quite happily idling at 950 rpm as it should do.

It's as though it needs setting up. Does anybody know if the throttle sensor can be calibrated at all? And how to do it?
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Flying the Flag for the XU10J2TE

You Tube: 832 Performance
Thanks given by:
Hi Mate,
Got a pic of the TPS so i can see if its the same as the rest of the XU ones?
Theres no way to calibrate them as such but i had a similar issue with mine. Old one failed so replaced with a new one and it idled at 1400rpm. In the end, i loosened the two screws and turned the sensor (holes are bigger and the screws) slightly and was able to move it to perfect idle. Its work spot on since. Id try that if you can mate.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
It's the same sensor as the one on my 1.8 ,Bosch 3 pin but there seems no room to be able to move it. Tomorrow I will try un screwing it and move the sensor to see what it does. 
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
Yeah trust me there will be room to move it ever so slightly and that will make a big difference! I know on the 1.8 and GTi it doesn't matter where you have it within reason as it only uses the sensor to know when its idling and on full throttle but the ECU you have sounds like it works in a similar way to how my Omex is setup and is used party for load calcs.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Fingers crossed. Would be great if it works.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
[attachment=20980]

Only a tiny amount of movement, made no difference tried swapping the signal wires over and that did nothing 

The only thing I have not done is buy a new TPS 
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
(06-01-2015, 11:20 AM)PUGNUT_XS Wrote: Only a tiny amount of movement, made no difference tried swapping the signal wires over and that did nothing 

The only thing I have not done is buy a new TPS 

might be better chancing ebay or a scrappy i went to EuroCarParts and they wanted £80 for a 206 one
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Best Position/Location for Battery -ER- 2 1,433 11-03-2016, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Frosty
  Cranksaft position sensor failure? Niall 5 1,286 21-10-2014, 07:38 AM
Last Post: Eeyore