1.4 headgasket repair time?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.4 headgasket repair time?
How difficult is it to replace a headgasket on a 1.4?
Any ideas on how long it would take??
Thanks given by:
If you dont skim the head, can be done in 3 hours easily
Thanks given by:
3?! 2 if you work real fast, dont take cambelt fully off and leave manifolds on etc!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(23-12-2014, 08:42 AM)Piggy Wrote: 3?! 2 if you work real fast, dont take cambelt fully off and leave manifolds on etc!

But this is shazilla.. Itll take an hour to comment about random stuff first etc lol
Thanks given by:
Depends if the head has to go to a machine shop for checking/skimming. You'll be looking at a few days turnaround if so.

Otherwise, if you've everything to hand and have done it before, literally a couple of hours. Loads of space on the TU 306s to work in.

Just make sure you get a decent HG (Payen etc). The cheaper ones don't have the red sealer on both sides, and you'll very quickly have oil coming from the front corner of the block.
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys,
No need for skiming, but cambelt needs to be replaced, car is 2001 and at 80k on the clock.
Thanks for help!
Thanks given by:
How would you know it doesn't need skimming without it off? Big Grin
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Got another one ready to go on!
Thanks given by:
A new head? Or one that's been skimmed already?
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
A used one, just has it skimmed as J G Engines in Wembley.
Thanks given by:
Just check the valve guides too before it goes on, they're usually pretty tired in most 306 TU's by now, mine want doing on my ported head. Although they don't seem to mind much, tend to just burn oil at idle if they're worn.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Headgasket refitting Toms306 6 1,857 30-04-2016, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Alan_M
  Squeeky Pulley After Headgasket Repair JethroJay 2 1,303 30-11-2013, 08:39 AM
Last Post: JethroJay