Question for computer boffs External HD's

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for computer boffs External HD's
(02-12-2014, 11:29 AM)Ruan Wrote: Because Windows is a sack of shit, make sure that your SSD (or whatever your operating system boot drive is...) is the FIRST drive on the controller on the motherboard.

I.e. ensure the SSD is in the port labeled sata0 or sata1 and make sure that your data drive is in a port higher than that (i.e. sata2, sata3 etc). This is because the "bootloader" (the bit that tells the computer where to find the operating system) is forced onto the first drive detected by the Windows installer. That way if you ever remove your data drive for some other reason, your computer won't boot anymore... Nice one Microsoft!

I need to check this.... :S
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Yeah, if it's already done, don't try and fix it, you'll probably end up with a computer that doesn't boot.

You can fix it with the Windows 7 rescue disc iirc, but god knows what buttons you poke to make it work again. I've done it for someone in the past.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(02-12-2014, 11:34 AM)Ruan Wrote: Yeah, if it's already done, don't try and fix it, you'll probably end up with a computer that doesn't boot.

You can fix it with the Windows 7 rescue disc iirc, but god knows what buttons you poke to make it work again. I've done it for someone in the past.

Rescue disk .. Yeah .. ninja
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(02-12-2014, 11:29 AM)Ruan Wrote: Because Windows is a sack of shit, make sure that your SSD (or whatever your operating system boot drive is...) is the FIRST drive on the controller on the motherboard.

I.e. ensure the SSD is in the port labeled sata0 or sata1 and make sure that your data drive is in a port higher than that (i.e. sata2, sata3 etc). This is because the "bootloader" (the bit that tells the computer where to find the operating system) is forced onto the first drive detected by the Windows installer. That way if you ever remove your data drive for some other reason, your computer won't boot anymore... Nice one Microsoft!

Yes! I have had this problem before too. Its very annoying and difficult to fix!
Thanks given by:
Bit of a thread hijack. What NAS drives do you guys suggest. I am looking to use it as a media centre to play DVD's and blu rays off. Plus as a storage for my pics.
Thanks given by:
I know with the XP boot disc it's a case of get into recovery console and run "fixboot" and "fixmbr" and that'll solve the problem. Dunno about 7 - I think it's similar, but more involved steps as the "recovery disc" is a bit more hefty these days! The XP one would fit on a floppy FFS!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
(02-12-2014, 12:02 PM)Pompey306mark Wrote: Bit of a thread hijack. What NAS drives do you guys suggest. I am looking to use it as a media centre to play DVD's and blu rays off. Plus as a storage for my pics.

If you're wanting to play Blu-Rays off it, you'll definitely need it attached to the network at at least 100mbit - Blu-Ray is about 55mbps which will almost certainly drop out over wireless unless you have a very nice router with 100% perfect signal.

Get a DECENT one if you want to stream films off of it, I'd almost go as far to recommend one of the little HP Home servers, which will do the job a treat!
Thanks given by:
I have been looking around trying to find what would be best. I have a whole load of DVD's and Blu rays from the past and they take up so much room. So if I can get them all stored on there, I can get a box and store all the boxes in the loft or somewhere warmer.

I have wired Virgin Broadband in the main rooms in the house and I think this would just be sat next to the TV in the living room. I am not much of a person for watching TV in other rooms.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Computer gurus - crashing PC ginge191 8 1,870 24-02-2017, 08:14 AM
Last Post: MisterGTR
  Computer People - Is this a virus? Toms306 53 12,346 28-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Last Post: MisterGTR
  gopro external mics Stef205 2 838 11-02-2015, 12:04 AM
Last Post: bigcheez2k3