Whats the 1.6 like?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats the 1.6 like?
Hello all, my d turbo failed its mot today on corrosion and its beyond repair really so looking at other 306s so i can take bits off my old one and swap them.

Anyway, came a cross a tidy 1.6 which is cheap enough, quite fancy a petrol and this is the biggest engine i can afford (first year of driving) what are they like compared to a dt? probably not as quick but not too bothered about that!

cheers, phil
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:
Nothing blisteringly fast but it does the job for someone who hasn't been driving all that long. If you want a bit more, get a quote on a 1.8. I found they were cheap to insure when i was younger.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
About as reliable as a 1.4 with the economy of a 1.8... lol

Go for a 1.8 imo...most reliable car I've ever owned! Just a shame they only average around 30mpg.
Thanks given by:
what Niall said... My 1.8 was only a bit more expensive than my dturbo for my first year of driving, pretty sure it was under a grand Smile
Thanks given by:
the 1.8 was a replacement for the early 1.6.

about as quick as a DTurbo and similar spec if its an XS, crap gearbox, decent engine.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Wank.
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
1.8 is a bit too expensive on insurance otherwise would of had one, as long as its similar to the d turbo performance wise im happy, whats the mpg like compared to a 1.4?
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:
what corrosion did it fail on. Surely cant be that bad!! Get some pics. If its a 5 door i.might buy it off you Wink
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Rotten on the chassis quite badly, ill take some pics tomorrow and pm you bud
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:
Also anything in particular to look out for with the 1.6? Not had any experience with these engines
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:
Headgaskets, coil packs and gearboxes are shit...check them well! Confused
Thanks given by:
second on the gearbox, if it feels slightly notchy it isnt going to last long
the only other problem ive had with mine is its knack of leaking its oil everywhere
Thanks given by:
Leaking oil through the headgasket on the corner you mean? lol
Thanks given by:
Tom has only had 1.4s not 1.6s, although they're quite similar my 1.6 was bullet proof, no gearbox probs, no HG probs, I scrapped it on about 170,000 miles because it was using too much oil, prob valve stem seals, and it made it fail all the time on emissions, great little car though, I'm a DT man these days though Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
That's true, but a few mates had 1.6s back in the day (2009!), I started a 306 craze in the village...they were all broken even back then though. lol

One of my mates also had a 1.8 at the same time, had it for ages, it was the only surviving 306 in the village from '09 right up to last year where someone decided to crunch the rear quarter of it. Dodgy
Thanks given by:
They're really not bad little cars when looked after, the tiny block makes it handle really well on the front end, also nearly 60mph in second gear is fun lol, you have to rev them high and kick their arse but mine took it all, I spanked that car to the redline everywhere for years, no complaints Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Yeah, they're not bad tbf, like any car they just need looking after and some mechanical sympathy. It's alright revving them and bouncing off the limiter, but not from cold and not on cheap gearbox oil for example! lol

Personally, with such a small price difference now, I'd go for the 1.8 over a 1.6, but if I was given a 1.6 I wouldn't turn it down. You don't even need mechanically sympathy with a 1.8 though. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Who wouldn't go for the 1.8 over the 1.6 lol, that's not the question though is it? Wink
Thanks given by:
I have a 1.8 here that'll be for sale soon Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I've got a late petrol 1.6 (100) meridian that I have had for over 6 years and has served me well. That said it has only done 86k to date and apart from routine cam belt/water pump change, exhaust, tyres, brakes it owes me nothing. Would recommend to anyone if you can drop on a lowish mileage well maintained example. Mines for sale next year if still looking then?
Thanks given by:
1.6 has a better cooling system design, it's more reliable and lighter by a tiny amount.

so ME, I'd go for a 1.6 over a 1.8 hahaha.
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
Turns out the dt can be saved! Getting it welded by someone with a decent welder! So all is well Smile
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:
I have a phase 3 1.6, It's no rocket ship but it's fast compared to the Peugeot Partner I drive all week.
Thanks given by:
Gearboxes are made of cheese. But I thought it mine decent. Most reliable car ive had so far
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
This is true. Mines already had a replacement gearbox
Thanks given by:
I have a 1.6 on ~44k miles and tbh it's very good, doesn't use/leak any oil or coolant. It only manages about 34mpg on average but then I only tend to do short journeys around towns so hardly ideal, I've seen over 40mpg on a good run. Gearbox is still very nice to use too!
Thanks given by:
Best 306 ever made. Get one.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(23-11-2014, 11:13 AM)philpemberton94 Wrote: Turns out  the dt can be saved! Getting it welded by someone with a decent welder! So all is well Smile

I was going to say, surely getting some welding done is cheaper than buying another car and swapping insurance over and getting worse fuel economy.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(21-11-2014, 08:24 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: They're really not bad little cars when looked after, the tiny block makes it handle really well on the front end, also nearly 60mph in second gear is fun lol, you have to rev them high and kick their arse but mine took it all, I spanked that car to the redline everywhere for years, no complaints Smile

Lmao I did the second gear 55 earlier in my 1.6 joining the m77 and it brought a huge smile!!! :-)))))
Probs brought on some bills too but it's going off the road and getting a power grip kit and pump and while the belts off the heads coming off for a wee rebuild too!

Nice one for getting the Dturbo back on the road but you should defo own a 1.6 at some point cos its a different drive from the heavier dturbo!
The 1.6 8 valve engine is fantastic and when wound up sings a sweet little tune although as has been said a bit limited top end but how often do you get to max your car anyway??
205, 206, 306,309, saxo,zx,xsara to name a few that all used it to great effect!
Most sensible and reliable petrol model for in town driving and a lot of fun too! Especially a 3 door!!!
Expensive on the tax front though but cheap and easy to fix! :-)
Thanks given by: