Free Dash Cam Apps

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Dash Cam Apps
Hi All,

There has been some talk recently about dash cams and which are the best. Just had a thought that my phone is already mounted to the windscreen as a satnav so why cant it be a Dash Cam too?

The answer is yes it can be and there are several apps that are available.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/dash-cam-an...omparison/

If you already have a phone, already have it mounted, the app is free, then this is a no brainer. Ill be giving CamOnRoad a go on the way home from work today!
Thanks given by:
Only problem i can see is it will take up alot of phone storage, unless you delete the videos it takes each night.. Other than that, good idea
Thanks given by:
So the way the real thing works and hopefully these apps is that you set the amount of storage size and it continually overwrites. It only saves when you tell it to. So dedicate 2Gb to it and it will never use more.
Thanks given by:
Tried this, drains the battery, uses memory, most mounts just shake like hell too

Good thought but for me £25 and I just leave it in place unless I ever want to look at footage in which case I just pop the memory card out.
Thanks given by:
I've tried that app too. You do allocate an amount of storage of your choice and it continually overwrites in 5, 10 or 15 minute segments. I also found it shakes about too much on the mount I've got, so it was useless at seeing detail like number plates, don't think it was that great in the dark either (but might differ with phone). Gave up with it in the end as I don't usually have the phone mounted to the windscreen so was a hassle putting it in the mount, plugging in etc every time I got in the car. Worth a try though since it's free, you might find it okay
Thanks given by:
For the sake ofwhat, £18 for a dedicated one, which turns on and off and can just be left alone...?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Tried this last night. Obviously not great in the dark. Films at 480 720 or 1080p.

It was quite clever really and easy to use. I always have my phone plugged in but you definitely wouldn't want to use it without the charger.
Thanks given by:
https://vimeo.com/112387654

I gave it a go the other night when I had this idea. I can agree there are advantages of an independent dash cam but I use my phone as one a lot Smile short snippet above. Found it poor in dark conditions unless there are street lights. Otherwise works brilliantly Smile
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
There is one that, in addition to the cam ability, overlays speed and location information at time of incident if you want it to. I think the pro is about £2.

Called dailyroads voyager
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Might have to look into this seems like a good idea.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fitness apps: What do you use? Any good? Dodgy Bob 11 2,298 04-01-2015, 10:54 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  android apps cully 23 5,426 27-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Mal
  Good/ useful apps for android? kentiiboii 40 15,326 14-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Last Post: Arron