Brakes lost there bite

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brakes lost there bite
So today I replaced the the rear hoses with the braided ones that came with the set.

Still no change, they feel exactly like before.

Next I'm going to check all sliders, I know the ones on the front are good as I checked and regreased those when I replaced the seals so it must be the rears.

I could do with replacing the rear discs as the getting pitted and looking a bit shit, the pads will be changed as well.
Thanks given by:
On closer inspection of the braided hoses the other day I found there to be something that looks like rust under the clear PVC coating on the offside front. When I bought them I was lead to believe that the braiding was a stainless braid? Could this rust be an indication of a leak in the hose?
Thanks given by:
Probably where it's been in the clamp, give it a rub down with some cleaner and it should disappear, the clear coat discolours against the rubber.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
I give it ago, I did think it was like that under the cover but I may have been mistaken. I think I've got to the point where I'm running out of ideas of why my brakes aren't right.

Do you know if there is a procedure for bleeding the ABS unit because I can't find anything? I'm sort of thinking could there be air in that?
Thanks given by:
My 266 brakes was shit, I upgraded to 283 and they was still nothing amazing. Yet my dads '6 put you through window!
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hi guys,

Still having this issue and I think it must be air in the abs pump.

Does anyone know how to bleed the abs pump? I have pp2000, so do I activate the pump with that and then just bleed the system as normal?
Thanks given by:
The abs pump doesn't need bleeding as such however you can use the pump to one man bleed the system (takes for ever) but that will get rid of any air that may be trapped in there. If i was you, get PP on it, another bottle of fluid and bleed it with PP.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Yeah I should have frazied that differently.

I shall give that a go and report back.
Thanks given by:
Right then guys I have now found out why my brakes aren't too great.

While bleeding them again but the old fashioned way I notice movement in the sliders. I've replaced the sliders before the pins are ok but it looks like the guides in the caliper carrier are worn and allowing the caliper to move in away they reduce the effectiveness of the brakes.

I've only rebuilt the calipers last year so I am going to try replacing the carriers and see how that goes. Does anyone know a good place to get them from? So far I have found this guy on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-CALIPER-...20ea94c9ca
Thanks given by:
How much movement?
They're not a tight fit to start with.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
When my mate applied pressure you could see the caliper move forward and out mainly at the top. When we took the caliper of the carrier there was a lot more play on the top sliders then the bottom.

I'll do a video of them when I get the new carriers.
Thanks given by:
I painted up the carriers the other week and got around to fitting them today.

[Image: IMG_20141208_084353_zps3eb8va14.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20141214_151835_zpsey9hwn7w.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20141214_145859_zpsnlfhxkbq.jpg]

Made little to no difference though Sad
Thanks given by:
No difference? Surely painting them red increased the brakeforce by 50%? Big Grin
Thanks given by:
It's also added 10% in engine performance! lol 
Thanks given by:
so is there anything you haven't changed yet?

oh and also, do you now have a spare set of carriers / sliders potentially for sale?
Thanks given by:
In theory yes, PM me with an offer.

To summaries:
  • Rebuilt front caliper seals
  • Replaced the front caliper carriers
  • Swapped master cylinder with another but used item
  • Greased rear sliders and pistons
  • Replaced rear rubber flexies with braided items
Next I'm thinking about clamping all the pistons on all the calipers and see if I still get the same pedal feel.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help lost all brakes daniel909 13 1,928 09-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Last Post: cully