Question on power

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question on power
Just getting used to my 6 and it may just be the characteristic of the engine but it feels almost sluggish on pick up until it gets to about 4k and then the "on cam" feeling comes in. I know it's only a 2 litre and isn't amazing bhp as standard but was wondering if I may have an issue? It doesn't jerk or hesitate or feel like the clutch is slipping but any thoughts/comments welcomed. I have some sort of induction kit fitted, racing 200 cell cat with janex system back, webber frp

Cheers

Dave
Thanks given by:
I'd get rid of the fuel 'power valve' and swap the airbox back to a stock one for starters (the hot intake air won't help with the sluggish feeling) and those power valves are poop.

But they generally don't have a huge amount of go down low, but as you say over 3.5-4k they pick up quite nicely.
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yea mate the max power induction kit I'm sure will suffer heat soak, and as far as the frp I don't know where to get a standard one from bar pug? Any thoughts? Same goes for standard intake actually
Thanks given by:
Intake wise, and infact for both bits you'd be best off getting your post count up and seeing if you could get one of someone breaking a '6 in the parts section, there's quite a few about at the mo.

But failing that, I assume pug would still do those bits? Albeit probably for ££.. I'd imagine the fuel reg would be a bosch one(iirc??) so probably available from a motorfactors.. but don't quote me on that, sure someone else will confirm
Thanks given by:
Its normal for these engines to come on song around 4000 rpm, that's why the gearbox works so well as it keeps the engine well in the power band. Defo swap the induction kit though, never heard of any aftermarket ones giving an improvement over the standard set up.
Thanks given by:
Ive been in a 6 and the power does definitely kick in at 4k+. If you are used to faster cars it could easily feel sluggish before 4k.
Thanks given by:
Yea midnightclub I hear what you are saying about the post count but I don't want to post trash and irrelevant stuff just to get the post count. I have a mate who works for a good motor factors so could probs help on the fpr.

Srowell I did have a 330d car before last which was 280bhp and 677nm, so I know what you mean about being used to faster cars but naturally I'm not expecting anywhere near that power from the pug, but with it being small and light maybe I was expecting a little more?
Thanks given by:
That's fair enough, it doesn't have to be 'spam', you could comment on project threads, even create your own project thread etc..

These might not 'feel' that fast due to the low torque, but flat out through the corners and it won't feel as slow I'm sure.
Thanks given by:
As Midnightclub says, on this forum there is no need to spam at all if you're sensible, we're active enough that you can get roped into a conversation quite easily really! Feel free to get a project thread on the go, and generally just try and get yourself involved! Wink
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Shocked 
(23-10-2014, 04:15 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: As Midnightclub says, on this forum there is no need to spam at all if you're sensible, we're active enough that you can get roped into a conversation quite easily really! Feel free to get a project thread on the go, and generally just try and get yourself involved! Wink

I'm all for getting involved mate I'm just not the best at taking pics and loading them lol (i am knocking on now like compared to most of you young uns)
Thanks given by:
my RR graph proves its bollocks that "power kicks in at 4k.

certainly the engine note does change at 4k and with an induction kit make a bladdy brilliant noise passing 4.5k and 6.5k.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2014, 03:13 PM)mossy1985 Wrote: Yea mate the max power induction kit I'm sure will suffer heat soak, and as far as the frp I don't know where to get a standard one from bar pug? Any thoughts? Same goes for standard intake actually

You could buy a 2nd hand fuel rail for probably 10-15 pounds off of someone, or I think places do sell pattern fuel pressure regulators., try ECP etc.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2014, 04:30 PM)welshpug Wrote: my RR graph proves its bollocks that "power kicks in at 4k.

certainly the engine note does change at 4k and with an induction kit make a bladdy brilliant noise passing 4.5k and 6.5k.

What does your graph prove? Can't find it
Thanks given by:
Or you might have a cam timing or lambda problem like I have with mine! Check my project thread got uber disappointing dyno result
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
The GTi does feel sluggish under 4-5k. You even notice it pulling away from the lights next to a modern derv.
A standard FPR is made by Webber and could be had for pennies from a breakers or maybe even eBay. Don't get a new pattern one because they are shite.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2014, 04:34 PM)RetroPug Wrote:
(23-10-2014, 03:13 PM)mossy1985 Wrote: Yea mate the max power induction kit I'm sure will suffer heat soak, and as far as the frp I don't know where to get a standard one from bar pug? Any thoughts? Same goes for standard intake actually

You could buy a 2nd hand fuel rail for probably 10-15 pounds off of someone, or I think places do sell pattern fuel pressure regulators., try ECP etc.

I've got a fuel rail with fpr for sale Wink
Thanks given by:
Orta just had a look mate and yea can see its a disappointing read out, I could check the timing if someone can tell me what size timing pins I need (Niall) also I have a diagnostics machine so might plug it in and see if anything irregular catches my eye

(23-10-2014, 06:43 PM)rocker8742 Wrote:
(23-10-2014, 04:34 PM)RetroPug Wrote:

Any chance of a picture? Please
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2014, 06:45 PM)mossy1985 Wrote: Orta just had a look mate and yea can see its a disappointing read out, I could check the timing if someone can tell me what size timing pins I need (Niall) also I have a diagnostics machine so might plug it in and see if anything irregular catches my eye

(23-10-2014, 06:43 PM)rocker8742 Wrote:
(23-10-2014, 04:34 PM)RetroPug Wrote: You could buy a 2nd hand fuel rail for probably 10-15 pounds off of someone, or I think places do sell pattern fuel pressure regulators., try ECP etc.

Any chance of a picture? Please

Haven't got one to hand I will get one for you ASAP
Thanks given by:
Cheers rocker

Sorry Niall just noticed you said the standard regulator is a webber item? Mine s webber so you think it's just the standard regulator I have already???
Thanks given by:
To test if its a standard regulator you need to put a fuel pressure gauge on the inlet to the rail. Standard is 3.5bar. I'd assume that unless you know what pressure it was swapped to or its stamped as being a higher pressure that its standard.

Induction kits are good as long as they are getting enough cold air and nice and clean.

If your worried about it being down on power a good way to test could be just going and getting it on a rolling road as especially if they stick a probe in the exhaust you'll be able to see how its running and where the power is and compare it to other peoples graphs to see if you are down on power.
Thanks given by:
Cheers Dum Dum,
As far as rolling road goes I'm not sure there are any near me tbh (darlington)

I like the idea of having an induction kit if it works but the cone filter I see fitted on many pics (like mine) have the radiator hose running over the top of it so for me this deign is poor. I'm thinking a long ram kit like the aem design would be better and there certainly looks enough room down in front of the gearbox to get some low cool air, maybe remove a front fog and make an air intake hole from it?
Thanks given by:
FYI if you only have a cone filter on the end of a pipe down in front of the gearbox you have essentially halved the inlet tract and will probably lose a tiny bit more low down grunt, although likely not enough to notice.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
i put the induction and exhaust back to std and gained loads of low down power on my six Wink
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2014, 04:39 PM)cully Wrote: i put the induction and exhaust back to std and gained loads of low down power on my six Wink

Well to be honest it's a toss up between a long arm kit or standard intake for me, probs the standard intake with a good panel filter like maybe the crosland one could be the way to go?

As for exhausts I would like to maybe exchange the standard 4-1 for a 4-2-1, but I've noticed that there ain't many threads about manifolds on here which is unusual with my experiences of forums
Thanks given by:
have you seen the standard manifold? Big Grin
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2014, 05:04 PM)welshpug Wrote: have you seen the standard manifold? Big Grin

Yea why?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Strange question regarding power jay5488 4 1,452 08-01-2014, 08:18 AM
Last Post: BigTallPaul