205/50/15 tyres

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
205/50/15 tyres
anyone run 205/50 tyres and if so, what problems have they come across?

195/55 is standard on 15" rims for the 306 and has a sidewall height of 107.25mm

195/50 is what a lot of us use and has a sidewall height of 97.5mm

a 205/50 tyre would have a sidewall height of 102.5mm

thus I can't see many issues with it. And I would like to run them tbh

I am currently running coilovers and +10mm spacers (spacers are bigger but with 206 wheels it equals about +10mm) so cant see I would be rubbing the front struts or inner arches

any thoughts? Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Why? And what's the difference in width?
Thanks given by:
erm....well 195 is 195mm and 205 is 205mm Undecided lol

...and I have just always thought that 195 isnt all that much for this size of car and the kind of power we lads like to run.

So without having to run 16"s I am thinking I can gain a bit of treadpatch area ThumbsUp

Plus I can get 205/50 cheaper than 195/50s with the tyre I have in mind for swapping to.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
The width is measured in mm so 10mm difference.

I can't see it causing any issues tbh, though I cant really see the point either, it's not a common size (205/55/16 is) so won't be any cheaper and I'm not sure you'd notice any extra grip.
Thanks given by:
Bit confused tom....I havnt said anything about 205/55/16s?!

I am planning on 205/50/15s

and with a 10mm more, thats 20mm more per axle. I rekon you would notice it, so long as they werent chinese 'winglongs'
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Sorry, I meant that was the next common size, cant think of anything that runs 205/50/15! Though if you can get them cheaper fair enough.

I ran 195s followed by 205s on the Golf, could spin them up just as easy and cornering grip wasn't noticeably more either. I've also ran 185s and 195s on lesser powered 306s without a noticeable difference. As said I don't see why you couldn't use them, I just don't think you'll notice a difference.

Tbh I was amazed at the grip the 107 tyres gave, they were only like 175s lol! lol
Thanks given by:
its all relative to the make of tyre though.

if you had some r888 185s, they are guna grip LOADS more than 255 yingyangs!

But with the same type of tyre, there will be a difference, and when we are all hunting down that extra bit of grip, extra bit of power...if it makes no difference to cost, I rekon, why not!

And actually for a set of 4 of the tyres I want, its cheaper by £40 to go for 205/50s!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Might be oversized for width of rim, and not give you any more useable contact area, not sure
Thanks given by:
Funny enough I didn't have track tyres on Swallows. lol

On the Golf both sets of tyres were the same, both Goodyear Eagle something (possibly F1).

On the 306s I've had many sets of wheels and tyres lol, but only budgets on the swallows, followed by cyclones on P6000s (oh no! lol ) T1Rs, rainsports and Michelins. There isn't a tyre size that I've had that was noticeably better than any other though.

As they're cheaper go for them (as long as your beams good, otherwise rubbing the inner liner would be the only potential issue)...
Thanks given by:
I run 205/45/16 on mine et15 can't see there been any issues taking it up to 50 profile, plenty of clearance on the front, current front struts are gti6 items too
Thanks given by:
(13-10-2014, 03:19 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: Might be oversized for width of rim, and not give you any more useable contact area, not sure

yeah thats my only concern I guess.

whats max width for a 6.5 width rim?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I run Michelin Pilot Preceda in 205/50/15, and they are fabulous!! Fit perfect, hardly can make them squeal on corners, they work great. No issues at all about the size
Thanks given by:
Hmmm, pondering the physics of this, isn't frictional force = coefficient of friction x normal reaction force ... logically you would assume a larger area = more grip, but there is no area factor in that equation.

Just had a google, and remembered that physics over simplifies everything Tongue
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
A wider tyre does not necessarily mean more contact with the road. A wider tyre might have a wider contact patch, but with the same weight over it you reduce the contact patch front to back. The total area in contact with the road won't necessarily be more. A wider tyre will also be more susceptible to aquaplaning.

In reality, a 205 tyre won't necessarily be wider than a 195 tyre anyway depending on it's design. My 195 R888 tyres are at least as wide as my 205 Eagle F1's, as they have a squarer shoulder design. I'd go with a premium tyre in whatever size is cheapest and gives you the best choice of tyres.
'95 Peugeot 405 GLX with XU10J4RS and ITB's
'97 Peugeot 406 1.9TD with TD04
'05 RenaultSport 182 Cup
Thanks given by:
I'm leaning towards thinking having a decent tyre on will make the most difference, especially over a 10mm difference in width
Thanks given by:
However...same tyre (high end track based summer tyre) a 205 will be better than a 195 no!?

I get the whole aquaplaning thing...but thats relative and I still think a 195 tyre is quite small relatively speaking for the 306!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I'd imagine Peugeot put a lot of work into the ideal tyre size for the GTi6 tbh. Unless they just asked Pirelli which size they couldn't get rid of anyway. lol

Most 15s on family hatches seem to come with 195 width though.
Thanks given by:
(13-10-2014, 04:41 PM)Piggy Wrote:
(13-10-2014, 03:19 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: Might be oversized for width of rim, and not give you any more useable contact area, not sure

yeah thats my only concern I guess.

whats max width for a 6.5 width rim?

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-w...calculator
Thanks given by:
(14-10-2014, 08:21 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I'd imagine Peugeot put a lot of work into the ideal tyre size for the GTi6 tbh. Unless they just asked Pirelli which size they couldn't get rid of anyway. lol

Yeah. I was funnily enough thinking that this morning.

But I wonder if Pug and Pirrelli got together today and reassessed the 306 gti if a different tyre may be chosen with improved tech etc
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I used to run 205/50R15 on clones on my old black HDi. There was a definite increase in dry grip.

Tyres were alot more expensive for the most part though.
Thanks given by:
Used to run 205/50/15's on my ph1 dtub, seemed like decent increase in grip Smile
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Jumping on this thread, and if anyone fancies them. I have 2 x 205 50 15 tyres with 6-7mm tread if anyone wants them for £20
Thanks given by:
(14-10-2014, 09:30 AM)Piggy Wrote:
(14-10-2014, 08:21 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I'd imagine Peugeot put a lot of work into the ideal tyre size for the GTi6 tbh. Unless they just asked Pirelli which size they couldn't get rid of anyway. lol

Yeah. I was funnily enough thinking that this morning.

But I wonder if Pug and Pirrelli got together today and reassessed the 306 gti if a different tyre may be chosen with improved tech etc

That is a good point tbf.

Though if they were still making the 306 today, no doubt the wheels would be bigger anyway. Confused
Thanks given by:

Yes, I´d also imagine Peugeot put a lot of work into the ideal torsion bar size, arb size, spring height and compression rate, bla bla bla, but still theres a lot of things you can do, and everyone does to improve, same might happen with the tyres whistle
Thanks given by:
^^^^very valid point

And it does make me wonder why we have all gone to towm on almost every part of the 306 but always just slapped 195/50/15s or 205/45/16s for those running 16s rather than considered what may be a upgrade or improvement rather than what will fit without fuss or is cheapest.

End of day not many of us actually use the 195/55s Pug put on there anyway! And sidewall height has quite an effect
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I use 55s.

Cant see the point in saving a couple a couple of quid but ruining the ride, aesthetics and rough road handling. Tongue

Low profile tyres are fine for a smooth track, but just don't work on a rough B road, they don't have enough flex to keep a good contact patch imo. Granted 50s still aren't rubber band tyres, but its enough to be noticeable, particularly on my road.

Same with the torsion bars and springs tbh, on a smooth track they can be improved, but as a compromise for all road surfaces, I don't think you can beat the GTi6 setup...

I'll just get the broom for those worms that have escaped the can. Wink
Thanks given by:
Thats also what I was thinking, 205/50s bit nicer sidewall and one to use, as in, tyre pressures will have more effect when adjusting.

Biggest transformation for me was extra 20mm track and 21mm TBa
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I run 195/50's on my rallye and 195/55's on my Daily hdi. cant beat abit of sidewall for that extra comfort lol

Reason i got rid of my 16" TD 1.2's is because i despised the ride on 45 profile tyres.
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by: