darrenjlobb's Rolling Road Chassis Dyno Project

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
darrenjlobb's Rolling Road Chassis Dyno Project
Yeah... I really could learn a lot from your approach to completing things.

My cars all need odds and ends finishing, rather then doing one at a time I tend to do all four at once and flutter between them usually leaving sh1t unfinished.. Big Grin
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
From my experience, the only thing that makes a project good/successful is patience and perseverance.

Something that often this forum is sadly lacking!

The amount of projects I see "oh the head gasket has gone, scrapping it" or "broke down again today, scrapping it"...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(03-02-2015, 10:45 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Haha the little one on the bottom yes, thats just for solenoids, all the expensive computer / load cell stuff is powered from the quality RS one in the top left.

Let me guess, you wired it up, turned it on and boom? If so i know what happened Tongue

One had no power coming out. The other was wired up and you said went boom. Horrible things. 
Thanks given by:
Yeah we know exactly why they're like that haha - go look at the wiring label on the top vs the the labels on the PCB.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Not updated this in a while,

We are largely up and running now, all computer controlled, able to run in both intertia, and fully brake modes, or a combination (for faster power runs), and can do steady state tuning / data logging. We are seeing very repeatable results which is a good sign, however having problems with calibration at the moment of torque, so under reading torque by about 1/3, obviously therefor effecting the hp considerably. Below was a photo after doing 3 power runs on a stock hdi, so can see how repeatable it is, just on the low side, but am sitting here doing some maths at the moment trying to figure out where ive gone wrong / what ive added up the wrong way around!

Note - The pulls were obviously just "testing" so didnt rev them out / load down low for a "full" graph, just the area where it makes power to see where we were at!

[Image: IMG_20150307_162526.jpg]

Either way its already up and running as a tuning tool with good repeat ability, just need to iron out the calibration and should be good for accurate power runs then as well!

Also took the time today (Finally!!) to plate in around the rest of the dyno, and re fit most of the covers, so cut up some plate I had kicking about:

[Image: IMG_20150308_150003.jpg]

And painted it up to match:

[Image: IMG_20150308_155057.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150308_155108.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150308_162504.jpg]

Really pleased with what I've ended up with, already prooving itself as a very useful tool! Cant wait to get my car project back underway now! Should be able to do a tonne of initial setup / tuning without even MOT/Insure/Tax'ing it / hitting the public roads this time, which should save me a penny and be very useful development tool!

If we have any budding mathematicians on here who know about torque / effects when applied at an angle etc let me know as trying to figure something out at the moment and could use someone who knows these complicated matters!

Thanks for reading Smile
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
No good at the math but well done on the effort of getting this finished, well near as dam anyway. Will be good when you can do accurate power runs as well. I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in a rr day at yours recouping some of the costs as well. Smile
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
This literally the coolest thing i have EVER seen . self built RRs in cow shed ftw lol

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Darren this is epic! Nice one for getting this far with it. Look forward to seeing you're car on it tuning away soon
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Thats ridiculous!!!
Jealous and Astounded in equal proportion (even if your maths is a tad out)

I think for the torque being a third out don't you get about a third more nms compared to lb/ft? Could that be the cause?
Thanks given by:
305 will be down shortly....
Thanks given by:
 stock hdi ftw Smile[attachment=22087]
Thanks given by:
Hehe, should have said before , Thanks very much to Rhys for providing the stock HDI for the afternoon for playing with calibration, and also big thank you to Tom Horton who has listened to me going on about load cells / output voltages for many nights checking my maths etc, much appreciated as always.

Chris, everything is calibrated in nm, however the software is in "imperial" mode, which means the readout is in ft/lbs and hp, but currently incorrect, just working on some maths which I think might be the root cause at the moment, but will need to persuade Rhys over again for another test, as sadly I dont have any trustworthy stock cars in my yard that I know what they should make!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
that zx 16v if its still there should make 155 bhp Big Grin
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Indeed, but it dosnt, it makes about the same amount under as the HDI, the zx has been the official test car up until this weekend heh, hopefully find some answers next time I sit down and work on it...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Another video showing some of the digital conversion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z0CvJcl24Y
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(08-03-2015, 07:20 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Not updated this in a while,

We are largely up and running now, all computer controlled, able to run in both intertia, and fully brake modes, or a combination (for faster power runs), and can do steady state tuning / data logging. We are seeing very repeatable results which is a good sign, however having problems with calibration at the moment of torque, so under reading torque by about 1/3, obviously therefor effecting the hp considerably. Below was a photo after doing 3 power runs on a stock hdi, so can see how repeatable it is, just on the low side, but am sitting here doing some maths at the moment trying to figure out where ive gone wrong / what ive added up the wrong way around!

Note - The pulls were obviously just "testing" so didnt rev them out / load down low for a "full" graph, just the area where it makes power to see where we were at!

[Image: IMG_20150307_162526.jpg]

Either way its already up and running as a tuning tool with good repeat ability, just need to iron out the calibration and should be good for accurate power runs then as well!

Also took the time today (Finally!!) to plate in around the rest of the dyno, and re fit most of the covers, so cut up some plate I had kicking about:

[Image: IMG_20150308_150003.jpg]

And painted it up to match:

[Image: IMG_20150308_155057.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150308_155108.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150308_162504.jpg]

Really pleased with what I've ended up with, already prooving itself as a very useful tool! Cant wait to get my car project back underway now! Should be able to do a tonne of initial setup / tuning without even MOT/Insure/Tax'ing it / hitting the public roads this time, which should save me a penny and be very useful development tool!

If we have any budding mathematicians on here who know about torque / effects when applied at an angle etc let me know as trying to figure something out at the moment and could use someone who knows these complicated matters!

Thanks for reading Smile

Whats the maths problems you need sorting mate, i could take a look at it.
if you are concerned about the dyno running at an angle it shouldnt make any difference though as you are not moving the car and therefor are not having to worry about gravity as a force. 
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
I assume you've sorted it, but I also might be able to assist with the mechanics (non of this getting greasy nonsense, REAL mechanics!) of it.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
hats off Darren, this is brilliant.
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Random video I made of Sams 305 / James ZX and Foobys GTI at the weekend, not a very good video / thought went into it, but captured a few pulls all the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPXTvOr6jys
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Wow! This is awesome. Well done Smile
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
nice work darren! Want to run the 205? Wink looks like youve got everything sorted Smile
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
So much awesome
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reinstate The 25Year Rolling Road Tax Exemption Uberderv 9 1,615 21-02-2016, 09:15 AM
Last Post: welshpug
  Rolling road near darlington mossy1985 5 1,192 20-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Last Post: mossy1985
  FAO Anyone trying to contact the farmer (darrenjlobb) Tom 10 3,078 23-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Atterz