Wheel wobble/play

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wheel wobble/play
Ok guys just replaced both ball joints, & everything is all tightened up.

With both the wheel off and wheel on there is play in that side.

I know ball joint is up & down play usually, p bush is back and forth play, and track rods are left and right play.

Basically, p bush play seems non existent, but there is play both up and down as well as left and right.

As I say does it with both the wheel on and wheel off, im led to believe wheel bearing but would like this confirmed?

Thanks.
Thanks given by:
(04-10-2014, 05:55 PM)mcglynn Wrote: Ok guys just replaced both ball joints, & everything is all tightened up.

With both the wheel off and wheel on there is play in that side.

I know ball joint is up & down play usually, p bush is back and forth play, and track rods are left and right play.

Basically, p bush play seems non existent, but there is play both up and down as well as left and right.

As I say does it with both the wheel on and wheel off, im led to believe wheel bearing but would like this confirmed?

Thanks.

how i test this would be to have someone press the brake pedal down if the play then disapears then yes probably wheel bearing< also the hub hole where the ball joint goes into with the pinch bolt can become oval no matter how tight you do the pinch bolt you can still have play so try with the foot on the brake pedal test first.
Thanks given by:
Would the ball joint hole being oval give left & right (the same as would apply to a worn track rod) play aswell then?

Will do that test now. What should the results be for a certain scenario?
Thanks given by:
Ovalled ball joint could show play either way
Thanks given by:
Ok brakes on and play is still there. I have spare hubs so would I be as well putting them on and seeing if theres any difference?

Or is it more likely to be wheel bearing?

Cheers for the help guys.
Thanks given by:
sounds like wheel bearing
Thanks given by:
Does sound like the bearing tbh. Though with spare hubs just swap one on, much easier than changing the bearing tbh!
Thanks given by:
Yeah ill swap the hub out for MOT and will refurb the spare set with new bearings as the other ones won't be too fresh either.

Is there any way to bench test the ball joint hole when I have the current hub off? Smile
Thanks given by:
Could measure the hole diameter. It should be the same length from any angle (obviously! lol ) if its longer one way it's f*cked lol...
Thanks given by:
Didnt think it would be that noticeable? Lol..

Have a vernier there but would need some way of measuring accurately, & have the pinch bolt etc to consider.

Was thinking of just putting an old balljoint into it and feel for play once tightened?
Thanks given by:
Depends how bad it is... Confused

It should be pretty noticeable tbh.
Thanks given by:
Fair enough I shall swap them out and try trace the fault before putting a new wheel bearing into a perhaps duff hub.

Cheers for the help guys
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Small play in rebuilt beam? daveylennon93 9 1,647 23-10-2016, 09:22 AM
Last Post: daveylennon93
  Wheel wobble annoyance :( Piggy 40 4,459 08-03-2015, 10:02 PM
Last Post: ct-hdi
  Acceleration wobble sherman306 7 2,224 07-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Janne L