New phone time.....what to get?!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New phone time.....what to get?!
I have a samsung galaxy note 2.
Yes its massive, but that's what I wanted due to never using my computer because my phone does everything I want it to.

The phones it's self is brilliant, the size isn't all that bad (I don't like using other phones now.
It's a quick phone, although does occasionally crash bit that's just because I have 573635644 apps running in back ground.
I can run 2 apps together on same screen which is also a good feature.
I have dropped it a few times but nothing has ever broken.

Battery used to last 2 and half days, now just a day of being battered. But clearly 8 just have apps that are killing it.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just gonna say that without my phone this weekend and listening to music while struggling with bits on my car i think i'd have gone mad! HTC One with it's speakers FTW Smile
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2014, 09:17 AM)Piggy Wrote: Gota say...the wifes Xperia Compact battery lasts almost 3days and she uses it a lot.

She is having issues with focusing...so will see how change of settings goes.

Stick it in Manual mode - works perfectly every time for me if it's in Manual!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Why can't they make phone batteries that actually last? I can do 6 hrs of WiFi and videos on the laptop without killing the battery...yet about an hour and a half of just forums on WiFi on the phone! Confused

It is a few years old now, but wasn't much better new...and it sounds like they haven't got better since! I don't have any apps on either, just whatever came with the phone.
Thanks given by:
Mine lasts a day....thats a battery which is dying in a phone which is almost dead. Wifi on all time. Bluetooth not. Few calls, loads txts/whatsapps, hour or two browsing or ebay etc, bit of gaming on the bog.

As I said, my wifes new sony is amazing. Nearly three days normal use...well over that if not using it. Z2 is supposed to be even better.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Get an app that lets you control the brightness of the screen. Set it as low as is comfortable.
Turn off NFC, bluetooth etc and should improve.
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2014, 12:12 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Why can't they make phone batteries that actually last? I can do 6 hrs of WiFi and videos on the laptop without killing the battery...yet about an hour and a half of just forums on WiFi on the phone! Confused

It is a few years old now, but wasn't much better new...and it sounds like they haven't got better since! I don't have any apps on either, just whatever came with the phone.

Tom its perfectly understandable... if you strapped a laptop battery to the back of your phone I'm sure it would last for a week. The phone battery is small and light so you can fit it in your pocket. It wouldnt be as usable if it was 3 times as big but lasted 3 days!

Anyway I leave mine on charge overnight and its plugged into the car whenever im in the car. It lasts a decent amount of time imo for what it does. Screen brightness and GPS are the main killers!
Thanks given by:
GPS bug has been fixed on Android 4.4.2 (the latest one) for my HTC One (M7). So i can leave it on all the time and it doesn't kill the battery as it only fires up when i'm using maps or something else which is authorised.
Thanks given by:
The Xperias are waterproof but Sony doesn't guarantee it. Sister put hers in a fish tank and it filled with water through all the pull outs that cover the connections
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2014, 01:01 PM)SRowell Wrote:
(01-09-2014, 12:12 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Why can't they make phone batteries that actually last? I can do 6 hrs of WiFi and videos on the laptop without killing the battery...yet about an hour and a half of just forums on WiFi on the phone! Confused

Tom its perfectly understandable... if you strapped a laptop battery to the back of your phone I'm sure it would last for a week. The phone battery is small and light so you can fit it in your pocket. It wouldnt be as usable if it was 3 times as big but lasted 3 days!

Anyway I leave mine on charge overnight and its plugged into the car whenever im in the car. It lasts a decent amount of time imo for what it does. Screen brightness and GPS are the main killers!

Its not that simple though, the laptop 'stuff' (technical term Wink ) is bigger/more powerful so will use a lot more fuel surely?

I don't use GPS, don't want the gov't tracking where I am. ninja
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2014, 03:28 PM)Lolben91 Wrote: The Xperias are waterproof but Sony doesn't guarantee it. Sister put hers in a fish tank and it filled with water through all the pull outs that cover the connections

freshwater only to be fair. And yes it is guaranteed IP55/58 rated. So long as its not longer than 30minutes and below 1.5m at a time.

anyway.....

looked at more reviews etc...nearly didnt...but this time I am ordering.

Going to have to be EE, due to signal in my area, and the Z2. Just ticks all the boxes for me...not for everyone I know...IE the camera on the LG3 and Nokia is better...But I cant stand Windows phones and the LG just isnt tough enough for my life! lol

So full aluminum chassis, water and dust proof and a nice dock to get for it so I dont wear out the USB like I have with other phones.

Here goes a 2 year commitment (whatever happened to 12/18months contracts Sad )
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I only had my Z1 for a week, looked after it... and it was still scratched on the back and sides. They're beautifully designed things, it seems a shame to put it in a case (plus the added bulk) but it seems that's the only way if you want to preserve the look.

After my experience, hope yours is a better one than I had. Also hope you tried one first, they're bloody massive...
Thanks given by:
yeah I know the size difference. But I dont wana be a guy with a tablet and a smartphone....so this is my idea of having both effectively.

There are some amazing thin cases out there for little money, a mate has the Z1 with the special case (HKong one anyway), he has had for over a year and no stratches or damage and he doesnt look after it at all!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
They're just too big to me, it is a phone at the end of the day, not a tablet... But it's all subjective.

I could never bring myself to use a case. They spend all that time, money and development to make phones look and feel good (well, apart from Samsung...) whilst keeping them as small as possible, usually at the expense of battery life... Just for most to put them in a case, and ruin feel, aesthetics and make something bulky, bulkier.

Again that's just me, my phones go through hell, just means they get scratched lol
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2014, 09:10 PM)Curt Wrote: I only had my Z1 for a week, looked after it... and it was still scratched on the back and sides. They're beautifully designed things, it seems a shame to put it in a case (plus the added bulk) but it seems that's the only way if you want to preserve the look.

I think all modern phones are like that. My HTC ended up covered in chips and scratches in a matter of weeks. The best looking phone I've had after 6 months is my iPhone and thats only because I've made a point of taking more care over it and even then it scratches and chips easily.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I will see how it copes.

To be fair, my S3 spent its first year in a cheapo 3.99 ebay "leather" case...last 12months without it.

The silver paint around the edge has chipped...but I have lost count the amount of times I have dropped it and had it in my pocket with cash/keys/nuts/screws...and the screen is perfect still.

Shall see how robust this new Z2 is. Aluminium chassis/frame as said...so should be pretty good. Theres a pretty cool aluminium bump clip on frame for them, 0.7mm thick...may consider that...but time will tell.

Just put the order in. £24.99 a month. Ultd stuff and 2gb internet. Also ordered meself a 32gb micro sd and a cool little magnetic dock.
IF its strong enough, I will retro fit it to me car I rekon.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I am due an upgrade in the next few weeks,so i am waiting for the alleged iphone 6 to be announced on the 9th of this month.
Thanks given by:
[Image: 3263454-impliedfacepalm.jpg]
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2014, 08:58 PM)Piggy Wrote: Here goes a 2 year commitment (whatever happened to 12/18months contracts Sad )

I hope you took it for a thorough test drive this time, and didn't just take the dealers word for it being good! Itwasntme

(01-09-2014, 09:20 PM)Curt Wrote: I could never bring myself to use a case. They spend all that time, money and development to make phones look and feel good (well, apart from Samsung...) whilst keeping them as small as possible, usually at the expense of battery life... Just for most to put them in a case, and ruin feel, aesthetics and make something bulky, bulkier.

Completely agree, similar to seat covers or headlight protectors....why protect the thing underneath that you're never gonna see because its covered up by the protector! Doh

Tbh I just keep my phone in one pocket and keys in the other, it's nearly 2 years old now and has the odd small chip but nothing major...

(01-09-2014, 09:40 PM)Piggy Wrote: Just put the order in. £24.99 a month. Ultd stuff and 2gb internet. Also ordered meself a 32gb micro sd and a cool little magnetic dock.

Is that £25 a month for the whole 2 years? Could buy a 306 for less! Confused
Thanks given by:
I never used a cover for years. But on the HTC One you end up with sharp edges and looking rubbish after a few drops. I now use a case which is a stand for watching videos and playing music, and also has a couple of credit card slots. And means when I sell the phone I'll get a few more pennies.
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2014, 03:35 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(01-09-2014, 01:01 PM)SRowell Wrote:

Its not that simple though, the laptop 'stuff' (technical term Wink ) is bigger/more powerful so will use a lot more fuel surely?

I don't use GPS, don't want the gov't tracking where I am. ninja

Yes but the energy density will be higher if anything on the mobile phone unless you have a seriously specced laptop battery. The technology simply isnt there to have a quad core mobile phone with a high res bright screen to last more than a few days when the battery is new!
Thanks given by:
All modern phones do the same thing, the only difference is the size and the cost. Might as well stick with the S3
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 08:17 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Completely agree, similar to seat covers or headlight protectors....why protect the thing underneath that you're never gonna see because its covered up by the protector! Doh

Tbh I just keep my phone in one pocket and keys in the other, it's nearly 2 years old now and has the odd small chip but nothing major...

Exactly. Apart from mine is f*cked, I just don't care lol.

(02-09-2014, 08:22 AM)MisterGTR Wrote: I never used a cover for years. But on the HTC One you end up with sharp edges and looking rubbish after a few drops. I now use a case which is a stand for watching videos and playing music, and also has a couple of credit card slots. And means when I sell the phone I'll get a few more pennies.

Mine is now basically serrated around the edge, doesn't matter though. I've stopped caring what it looks like, anyway. It just seems so counter-productive... Keep something protected so you never actually get to see or use what you're protecting :/.

However if it's specifically to hold value, fair enough. Mine will never be sold so doesn't matter.

(02-09-2014, 01:17 PM)ADV_93 Wrote: All modern phones do the same thing, the only difference is the size and the cost. Might as well stick with the S3

That isn't really true. They may essentially perform the same tasks, as all phones do. But there are many differences other than you mentioned.
Thanks given by:
Chucked my S3 out the window today...onto the gravel drive... From upstairs...so annoyed with it.

No damaged...at all!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
So the Z2 has arrived. Its a cracking phone. Main pluses are amazing battery life...was 100% at 7am today...now at 76% at 9pm. Amazing screen and feels proper well made. Nice little features here and there too.

2 main issues.

1) I get NO signal unless I am on the window sill in my house...signal boosters I be curious to hear about from tech guys

2) the camera SUUUUUUUCKS! Seems a big issue across the Z1/compact/Z2 range. Despite the 20.7mp camera and amazingly large lense...it seems Sony left it to the guys who made the first BT mobile to write the software. Its really really really bad.
S3 outshines it without breaking a sweat...and my S1, well, even that takes some better pictures, especially indoor and most certainly in macro.

Hoping Sony will have an update for it.

Im no photo mad guy...but I do use it for car shows etc, I dont own a diff camera...and tbh, if they cant fix it, I have half a mind to send it back just on the camera alone. Its that bad.

Just see my latest for sale thread for my guitar amp. Thats in 8mp supposedly. terrible quality.

And my forsale thread for the key fobs, that photo was taken at 15.5mp. Looks like I used a crude 35mm instant camera.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
The camera is basically the same as the Z1 and the camera itself, does not suck. Far from it for a phone camera. The software isn't good or it wasn't on mine, laggy and bugged. I'd imagine it's more a case of how you're using it... Megapixels mean nothing by the way, unless you're blowing them up for prints.
Thanks given by:
Its the software that sucks yes...the hardware is fine. The hardware is found in other makes and creates much better pics
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I can't see how it could be worse than the Z1 and that took decent pictures.
Thanks given by:
Theyre 'ok' on first impression...still worse than the s3...but zoom in a tiny bit or pop them on the pc and its like vga camera images
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New phone time. What do you think? bingham123456 50 15,293 10-03-2013, 02:53 AM
Last Post: Stephen
  Time for a new phone... Dan! 20 3,310 14-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Hammer time ... no wait MOT time, err same thing! Megamonkey 13 13,482 19-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Megamonkey