Audio Install

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio Install
I currently have an Alpine IDA x100 Head Unit Click here for specifications, which has the 'lightning' ipod control cable and USB input and can be controlled via the stalk which I am very happy with, this increased SQ all by itself.

I would like a decent audio set-up on a budget. I would consider paying more if this is unrealistic, but I am more than prepared to buy 2nd hand, as I did with my HU.

I have been thinking of purchasing these as a decent, budget set of components and trying to fit the tweeters behind OEM tweeter covers.

I think that with an amp, these would provide good enough sound quality, considering the Ph.1 is full of road-noise anyway and I'm not spending massive amounts.

I do, however, have no idea what amp to go for, and have been looking at alpine ones 2nd hand on ebay (got HU 2nd hand cheaply and would rather get good 2nd hand stuff than bad new stuff for the same cost). Are there other brands of amp that I should consider? An all-alpine setup is likely to be pretty good even if it is budget stuff.

I also think that if I had amped components, I'd need something to cover the low-ranges, I don't want a big sub in an enclosure in the boot, and have seen under-seat amps etc. and shallow-mount subs, but these often seem very expensive. Would it be possible to have speakers in the rear parcel shelf that exclusively play low-ranges that would be suitable? I don't want to shake the car or wake the neighbours, just have decent sound across all ranges.

I know there are some audio enthusiasts on here, so any advice, offers of equipment, spotted good deals on ebay etc. would all be appreciated!
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
First of all, I highly rate Dynamic Sounds as a supplier for both service and price. Or at least I did when I used them in the past.

Cracking head units they are, I've got an 001 in mine and I won't use anything else now. I liked it so much I bought another for my other car actually lol.

For components I would recommend Focal. Just the entry level ones are fantastic for the price, I've used them for years now and wouldn't choose anything else. They're a lot cheaper than when I bought my first set but I'm not sure what price I paid for my second ones. I've tried to find a link but I can't seem to, they may have discontinued them and replaced them with a new line.

Amp wise, I recommend JL (I love mine but they're not cheap, second hand is a good option), Rockford Fosgate, Focal again and Alpine. I had a cracking Focal 4-channel amp which I had to sell a while back (this one: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/focal-pe...e-fpp-4100) which was great for running components and a sub.

Personally, I would highly recommend a small sub. You can get a subtle one which won't take up much room, and it's not chavvy to have one, just better. You can then set up the amp to supply the components and sub with the right frequencies using the correct filters, and it sounds so much crisper. I've never found the "space saving" active subs to be any good, in my experience.

It would also be a good idea to pick up some Silent Coat or similar when you're fitting the door speakers etc.

Anyway, I'm by no means an expert but that's my opinions Smile.
Thanks given by:
Thank you for the response!

The reason I was thinking of those components from Alpine is that I know that they are a direct fit which is preferable. Do you have links to the focal components that you mentioned?

I would potentially consider a small sub in a small, discreet enclosure in the boot, I suppose this would give the best SQ for my money as well. Any recommendations?
I suppose for an amp I need anything from those brands that is 4/multi channel to run components and a sub, and not a 2-channel?

I've already got silent-coat. Smile

I might PM you with some links to ask your opinion!
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
What is your budget?

i run a decent kenwood headunit
Focal 165Vs
Stock Shelf Speakers
JBL 12" 1000W Sub
Maystar 600W amp powering the fronts and sub.

Sounds great and id recommend the focals to anyone!
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2014, 04:17 PM)RetroPug Wrote: Thank you for the response!

The reason I was thinking of those components from Alpine is that I know that they are a direct fit which is preferable. Do you have links to the focal components that you mentioned?

I would potentially consider a small sub in a small, discreet enclosure in the boot, I suppose this would give the best SQ for my money as well. Any recommendations?
I suppose for an amp I need anything from those brands that is 4/multi channel to run components and a sub, and not a 2-channel?

I've already got silent-coat. Smile

I might PM you with some links to ask your opinion!

It is easier but it's no biggy to have to space them slightly. I made some MDF rings for mine when I had them in the 306 briefly. I've had a look and it does seem that the 165A1s have been discontinued... These are the only ones I can find: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Focal-165A1-Acce...B009E34IMU but I think they were around £90 when I bought them... These seem to be the replacement: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/speakers...rt-ps165as although it's probably more than you want to spend. I only recommend them as I do like my music and if you can justify it, they're worth it.

Yeah I would suggest that's the way to go. I'd say 8" would be your best compromise between size/SQ/price. You can get 6" ones but the only ones I'm aware for are JL, and they're, erm... Pricey. This is the sub I have, love it: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/subwoofe...o-12w3v3-4 but doesn't really fit any of your needs lol. Here's a couple of 8s which look decent value:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/subwoofe...ate-p1s2-8

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/subwoofe...ne-swg-844

Yeah, 4-channel is what you need. What I liked about the Focal amp I linked was it was specifically 3/4 channel, designed for 1 channel to be bridged for a sub, which is fairly unusual. As that's exactly what I was doing, it was ideal.

I'll have a look at your PM in a sec Smile.
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2014, 04:47 PM)SRowell Wrote: What is your budget?

i run a decent kenwood headunit
Focal 165Vs
Stock Shelf Speakers
JBL 12" 1000W Sub
Maystar 600W amp powering the fronts and sub.

Sounds great and id recommend the focals to anyone!

I don't have a specific budget in mind, which I know is very annoying when people ask for ICE recommendations and help. I was planning on scouring ebay for a decent amp for a bargain then taking recommendations on budget & midrange components.

That sounds like a good setup! You are not alone in recommending Focals I've heard a lot of good things about their products.

Curt, thank you for your reply again, I have looked at the links you posted and am considering the advice you gave me about subs. Smile

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I have focals in the fat datsun but ones that cost a wee bit more. Top top quality. The JL HD amps are worth seeking out. Tiny but effective.

I'll go down the audio route once I've fixed the mechanics of my car. So following this with interest. Saying that if I hadn't thrown my 20 year old mix tapes out recently I'd be keeping it original as its actually not that bad.....or maybe it just takes me back to good times.
Thanks given by:
I've had a scout around and I think JL amps are out of budget! If I see a cheap one 2nd hand I'll keep in mind that I should go for it though. Big Grin

I did have a look and see if the standard CD changer I have would plug into the alpine HU but it was either not really possible or way too much hassle as the plugs don't match at all, and I can't really justify buying an alpine CD changer, even though they are cheap 2nd hand.

I'm only 22 and just running the gti6 is pricey enough. lmao

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Well, I now have a multi-channel alpine amp on the way. Smile

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Cool what model (spamming for 100)
Thanks given by:
I fit a set of vibe components at the front without an amp and they sounded rubbish and not as loud, so fit the standard speakers back
Thanks given by:
Well, I've got an amp:

[Image: iqgd1u.jpg]

Looking on ebay for bargains. Smile

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
IMO alpine isn't all that great anymore.

So an all alpine system IMO would sound shit. Go for focals and a JL, you won't regret it
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2014, 09:11 AM)Matt Wrote: IMO alpine isn't all that great anymore.

So an all alpine system IMO would sound shit. Go for focals and a JL, you won't regret it
Not gonna get that kit on a budget
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2014, 09:11 AM)Matt Wrote: IMO alpine isn't all that great anymore.

I've heard several alpine setups that were excellent.

Bear in mind that I simply don't want to spend massive money. JL subs occasionally come up at reasonable prices though, and their 8" ones are ok new. I am looking at other brands though.

Where do people typically mount amps?

I am thinking of running the power cable conduit-shielded under the car into the boot, I'd prefer not to have it in the boot really, even though this is easy, as then removing that and a sub for boot space will be a pain. Under seats? Too much other wiring and crap in the way there perhaps?

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Most practical place to put them is in the boot. Either run the cable under the car to the boot with shielding or run it through the bulkhead and under the carpet. I prefer the carpet method myself.
Thanks given by:
Nothing wrong with running it under the car.

I think you'll struggle with mounting the amp anywhere but in the boot. Very much doubt there's enough space under the seats. However, if you mount it on some MDF on the side (how mine were in my DT years ago) then it should be out the way enough to just remove the sub.
Thanks given by:
When I get in from work and wake up will sort some links

I run old school alpine (before v12 lol) for my focal 165vb's and it sounds sweet. I also run a ppi pc275 for my sub which is a 12.

As I say tomorrow sometime will give some links to some old school kit but I recommend focal access for the price but you need some other bits to fit them in front door that ain't too much.

Out of interest what phase is yours so I can get you the right speaker adaptors link?
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
Speaker adapters are shit, much better off making your own.
Thanks given by:
Your experience is clearly different from mine. Mdf is crap it cracks where as the autoleads one I used in 2 of my 306's have been sweet as a nut lol
Thanks given by:
Yeah, definitely different... Made mine out of 18mm MDF and there's no chance of them cracking. Sound better too, not being made of flimsy plastic. My only experience with Autoleads (due to lack of options) is cheap tat.
Thanks given by:
Definitely different the autoleads ones were stronger then the 3/4" ones I made and the like coming apart and back together lol. I use foam paper as a gasket which helps I guess

Anyway I'm at work playing early to early doors so will chat tomorrow lol
Thanks given by:
It's a ph.1.

I've looked and focal access components seem to be about 100 pounds which is a bit more than I ideally wanted to pay, although I'm sure they are very good.

Thanks. Smile

Project Thread
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Fuel/air gauge install hilly5672 5 1,347 26-05-2016, 05:09 PM
Last Post: Ruan
  Estate audio upgrade pdg 8 3,281 21-05-2016, 08:24 PM
Last Post: pdg
  Audio setup - help LewisG 70 25,461 13-01-2015, 04:43 PM
Last Post: Ruan