Jack and Torque Wrench Recommendations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jack and Torque Wrench Recommendations
Ahoy-hoy.

Just got a tasty tax rebate, and figured I could treat myself to some new tools.

My cheapo halfords jack has been pissing me off of late, and the Radical guys had a beautiful Sealey aluminium low-entry, quick lift jack. It was wonderful, and I want one.
I found this:

SGS Jack and Stands

Which seems like a pretty good deal, really, as I need a couple more axle stands too. Anybody have experience of SGS Engineering? Or any alternatives they might recommend?

Secondly, I'd like a torque wrench, as just torquing my wheel nuts up to 'ummmm, that'll do' probably isn't ideal. No idea what they should be torqued up to, but a reasonably priced torque wrench that'll do them, and other jobs on the car would be great. Some sort of guarantee wouldn't go amiss, either.

I eagerly await your responses, I will wait vigilantly all through the night for them. Or I might just check up on this thread some time tomorrow. Whatever.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
I bought the 2.5 ton version from ffx

These axle stands http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0001K9Z...31_TE_dp_1

This torque wrench http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...1402767265

Should at least get topic started
Thanks given by:
I don't like the ally low entry jacks as they always feel flimsy with a proper car on them. I'd go for the sealey 2500le that alot of us have.

As for torque wrenches. I have no recommendations. My Aldi one appears to work and be accurate.
Thanks given by:
The lowered profile on that jack doesn't extend very far back, you'll only be able to jack on the sills. You might find you need more than the 1.5t capacity too, depends how much work you do on cars besides the 306 i guess. I've not heard of sgs, but i'd class that under suspiciously cheap. I got one of these a couple of years back: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcan-Aluminiu...4181f8a6ed. It's nothing special, but it's doing the job and has only needed a couple of minor adjustments, making sure all the fixings are tight every couple of months being the main concern. Also, the rubber stops for the handle perish and fail after a few months, something to watch for as over-extending the handle really isn't good for them.

Do you have any requirements besides shiny? Serious question, shiny is a very important consideration. lol I assume low entry is high on the list, as is low price?

Torque wrenches, i have a halfords one for low-range stuff and it seems to be fine. Not sure it's good enough for a recommendation, but it does the job.

EDIT: Having just looked at the sealey rocket-lift, low entry, two-tonne, all-singing, all-dancing, let's run it for president trolley jack, it appears to be 100% identical to my jack. So it seems if you want it, but don't want to pay £200, buy that ^^^. lol
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
To go off the back of what Alex is saying RE jacks. Occasionally the linked jack appears at Costco for about £100. Scott has one IIRC.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(27-08-2014, 12:44 AM)MisterGTR Wrote: I bought the 2.5 ton version from ffx

These axle stands http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0001K9Z...31_TE_dp_1

This torque wrench http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...1402767265

Should at least get topic started

This Jack?

Anything else is much more expensive.

Got owt to say for/against the torque wrench?

(27-08-2014, 05:32 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I don't like the ally low entry jacks as they always feel flimsy with a proper car on them. I'd go for the sealey 2500le that alot of us have.

As for torque wrenches. I have no recommendations. My Aldi one appears to work and be accurate.

Define 'proper car'? I've had a look at that sealey, looks to be the same but heavier, I'm only a wee chap...how heavy is it? I'll keep an eye out at Aldi, what do you mean by 'seems accurate' though Tongue

(27-08-2014, 06:11 AM)Poodle Wrote: Stuff I'm cutting out because it doesn't need posting twice.

I only really use it on the 306, and will use it on my second/project car when I get it in the coming months, but that's almost guaranteed to be lighter than a 306 anyway. I've had a but of a look around, and can't see any bad reviews for SGS. Yup that looks identical to the Sealey one, not cheap at £150 quid though, t'is stretching my budget rather!

Shiny is important, yes Tongue But the main complaints with my halfords one is it doesn't quite fit under the jacking points, is too narrow and unstable, and takes many, many pumps to get it up (ooh-er). Also, it's pretty f*cking heavy given its size.

(27-08-2014, 06:32 AM)Grant Wrote: To go off the back of what Alex is saying RE jacks. Occasionally the linked jack appears at Costco for about £100. Scott has one IIRC.

That sounds promising, but I have no access to Costco :/

I am willing to wait for a few months though if it'll save me £50, so if anybody else has seen something suitable pop up at a good price let me know so I can keep an eye out.
Thanks given by:
This is the one I bought http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Seale...ket%20Lift

Compromise on full aluminium one. I have heavier and lower cars than x5

I looked at reviews online for torque wrenches. The halfords one was best but 3 times the price. http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories...group-test
Thanks given by:
can't fault the halford torque wrenches, have a 1/2inch and a 3/8inch and they've have both been excellent - go find someone with a trade card for a bit of a discount
Thanks given by:
I also have 2 of the Halfords Torque wrenches. 8-55Nm and 60-300Nm iirc. Cant fault them tbh, except not quite enough for front hub nuts lol. Also used trade card ofc.

And I have a sealey low entry jack, its taken plenty of abuse on a sloping gravel drive without bending like an ally one lol. Just wish it was a bit lighter, really have to be careful of your back putting it in the boot!
Thanks given by:
Poodles torque wrench dud a good job on the zr so gets a thumb up the bum approval from me
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Got a siegen torque wrench off of eBay and it does the job only goes to 203Nm though

Also have the exact same issue with my halfords jack as you it's ever so slightly too tall
Thanks given by:
Another vote for Halfords torque wrenches. Even their jacks aren't too bad I find, but I've also got an SGS cheapy jack that works well. I find having two jacks useful.
Thanks given by:
(27-08-2014, 07:27 AM)MisterGTR Wrote: This is the one I bought http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Seale...ket%20Lift

Compromise on full aluminium one. I have heavier and lower cars than x5

I looked at reviews online for torque wrenches. The halfords one was best but 3 times the price. http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories...group-test

Ooh, that jack looks like pretty good value, and still light enough for a weed like me to lug around! It's not low entry though, which could be an issue.

And cool, likes like that's the best deal for a torque wrench by far.

(27-08-2014, 07:38 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: can't fault the halford torque wrenches, have a 1/2inch and a 3/8inch and they've have both been excellent - go find someone with a trade card for a bit of a discount

I had been looking at those, but they're bloody steep, especially compared to the one above, so I'm not sure whether they're worth it. Are they lifetime guaranteed? How much does trade knock off?

(27-08-2014, 07:59 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I also have 2 of the Halfords Torque wrenches. 8-55Nm and 60-300Nm iirc. Cant fault them tbh, except not quite enough for front hub nuts lol. Also used trade card ofc.

And I have a sealey low entry jack, its taken plenty of abuse on a sloping gravel drive without bending like an ally one lol. Just wish it was a bit lighter, really have to be careful of your back putting it in the boot!

Don't have a trade card, might be able to get one with all my uni paperwork but just never got around to trying. Again, the one that MrGTR seems to be almost as good for half the money though, so I'll probably just get that one!

And has anyone actually seen an ally jack bend, though? I don't want something that's going to be that cumbersome, as it comes in and out of my boot all the time.
Thanks given by:
Hahaha i've had dads tranny van jacked up on a muddy hill on my ally jack, still straight as a die, take from that what you will. Bear in mind these ally jacks still weigh a fair bit, the steel ones are ridiculous, not what you want if you're going to be humping it about lots.

I'd suggest revising either your budget or your expectations, you can't get top quality kit for bargain basement prices unfortunately.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Well I'm happy to spend a little over £100, which seems like it should get me what I need. I was just checking out how much the lifting range varies between the low-entry and non low entry jobbies, and the answer is not a lot, to be honest. They're all at least 50mm lower than my halfords one is, so I think the sealey non low entry one might be just the ticket.
Thanks given by:
Ive got a trade card if your passing by gloucester way often. If its any help, can always pick parts up for you or something. PM me if you want.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(27-08-2014, 05:32 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I don't like the ally low entry jacks as they always feel flimsy with a proper car on them. I'd go for the sealey 2500le that alot of us have.

i have had an aldi one (similar to that draper one incidently) which has only just given up and i have been abusing it the last 10 years
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
I would highly recommend Sealey jacks. Ive had mine for 15 years and its had some abuse but still working well. When or if it dies i will be getting one of these
Sealey Jack
Thanks given by:
I desperately need a new, low entry jack. Can never afford one though. I think I'd prefer to go for a classic heavy one, for peace of mind. I don't need to carry mine around with me however...

I'd recommend Teng and Snap-On wrenches, may be more than you're looking to spend though.
Thanks given by:
(27-08-2014, 07:16 AM)Kezzieboy Wrote:

Define 'proper car'? I've had a look at that sealey, looks to be the same but heavier, I'm only a wee chap...how heavy is it? I'll keep an eye out at Aldi, what do you mean by 'seems accurate' though Tongue

Proper car = anything over about 800kg. When I've used peoples ally jacks yes they are lovely and light but with a 306 on it it fairly moves about. The Sealey is a hefty beast, about 35kg but even at full extension theres no side to side movement and it really is a solid bit of kit. I have no trouble moving/lifting it although its not the sort of thing you can swing around and I'm aware you aren't a very big bloke.

As for the Aldi/Lidl torque wrench "seems accurate" means it feels about right from having used other peoples and i've never had anything that was over tightened or come loose with it but I have no idea what sort of standard of accuracy something that cheap is made to and I've never had it tested.
Thanks given by:
Oh fair, that should be more than adequate for the jack. Just realised that SGS thing is heavily reduced, so perhaps not such a bad deal. Try it and see, can't really go wrong for that price and if you're not going to be using it daily it'll probably last for years whatever you buy. Smile

(27-08-2014, 03:58 PM)Curt Wrote: I desperately need a new, low entry jack. Can never afford one though. I think I'd prefer to go for a classic heavy one, for peace of mind. I don't need to carry mine around with me however...

I'd recommend Teng and Snap-On wrenches, may be more than you're looking to spend though.

Maybe... Rofl
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ally jacks are fine providing you take into account that they can flex. Use them on flat ground (where you should be anyway) and it will cause you no problems at all!
I have seen the really cheap ally ones (like £50 jobbies) literally bend when on slightly uneven ground which is quite concerning.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Oh meant to say, going back to torque wrenches again, imo it's worth buying something decent second-hand. It'll be more accurate than a cheapo, probably last longer and if you buy snap-on will be immeasurably easier to get it replaced when it does eventually die. Some absolute bargains on ebay at the moment: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Teng-torque-wr...4d232da631.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I have this one: http://www.screwfix.com/p/teng-tools-dri...-3-8/49363 and for the quality I don't think they're expensive. Can't have it all at the end of the day.

My snap-on one, however, is like £300 worth. Sure as shit didn't pay that though lol

(27-08-2014, 05:11 PM)Poodle Wrote: Some absolute bargains on ebay at the moment: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Teng-torque-wr...4d232da631.

That is an absolute steal. I'd have that, if I had the money, even though I don't need one.
Thanks given by:
Problem with second hand torque wrenches is you don't know how it's been looked after. From first hand experience it doesn't take much to f*ck them up.

I'm thinking I'll go for the Ally/Steel Sealey hybrid. Need to do a bit of saving first though, probably worth the extra £20-odd over the cheaper ones though given how long it should last.
Thanks given by:
I was just going to reccomend one of them sgs jacks

I got one off from the company on eBay free delivery but went to derby to pick them up as I needed one there and then

Had mine a year now still works fine

Had it under some silly low things too manages to lift my recovery truck no bother and come with a year warranty
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Oooh, interesting, which one specifically?
Thanks given by:
I got the exact same jack 1.5t but I opted for 4 stands

If it ever fails I'll replace it with the same jack without any thought

It gets used every day and a year on it's still performing like new

Got a Halfords low entry one lasted 4 weeks before breaking, bodged it back together then 2 weeks later seals went

So tried one of those wouldn't have anything g else for the price
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Btw the Jack I bought is still 26kg.

Compared to the Jack my dad used for years it's a tank. His probably cost ten quid

I'm a crap workman ...So need good tools so I only have myself to blame
Thanks given by:
Used this yesterday for first time. It's definitely a sturdy bit of kit. Probably overkill. Certainly much more kit than I used to use on my Mark 2 fiesta.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sealey 1250cx trolley jack Iceman299 6 2,079 06-05-2017, 07:53 AM
Last Post: Ben
  Scissors Jack corrosion - lucky :) maxaret 36 9,120 05-11-2016, 08:38 PM
Last Post: maxaret
  Dashcam Recommendations Toms306 95 18,490 17-06-2016, 06:51 PM
Last Post: 306carter