dw10 crank swap 400HP

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dw10 crank swap 400HP
Hmm that previous post of mine now I read it back sounds wrong. The incomplete burn WAS an issue. But not the reason I bent a rod. As quite a few already know on here I may have ran it a "tad" advanced. For a week. Because it was my daily and had no time to swap timing around again. Hey ho. Live and learn I guess.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
So we love "living on the edge"... ;-)
Thanks given by:
Really we LOVE "living on the edge":

Before: 
[Image: 1z3uko4.jpg]

After:
[Image: 73mkhj.jpg]
[Image: egxp2u.jpg]

merry christmas Wink
Thanks given by:
If you want extra valve pockets in your piston there are other ways? ;-)
Thanks given by:
Somewhere in this forum Daniel posted a topic about modifying a VE pump including disabling the max. rpm control but he forgot some measurements for that part:

I used stainless round 10mm and drilled a hole in it 6.5mm (minor grinding to the end part else the locker washer can't be placed)
Thanks given by:
nice gov mod . . . .Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Does any off you here knows which fuel lines to use with a VE pump?

For my line pump on the puller I buy straight ones from the same length and bend them myself but for the VE maybe something existing will fit. (a bit)
Thanks given by:
You might find that the ones off the XUD9 will fit with some bending. Not sure on the end fittings though, I can check if you like?
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I used land rover ones with landy delivery vanes and just bent them. So essentially what you're doing with straight ones only far more pikey.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
The 300tdi nozzles and the VE pump both have M12x1.5 threat, if XUD9 would fit it would be pretty easy...
Thanks given by:
the 300tdi injectors are M14x1.5 but have been looking at a 2.5 peugeot boxer and thing those will work. (I hope Wink
Thanks given by:
Only for fun my first brakedown, new piston design 86mm bore but skirt broke off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4QpYCOR1IM
Thanks given by:
sucks that it broke but did look like it was going well before hand
Thanks given by:
Do you reckon there too much sideways force on the cylinder causing the skirts to smack the side of the bores? What would be the next thing to look at to make it work do you reckon?
Thanks given by:
It was not running very well, looks like detonating but that would be silly on a diesel right? ;-)

Started this year with 86mm bore and a DW11 crankshaft but the larger stroke gives more side force on the piston and by scaling from 85 to 86 I made a mistake so the pistons where a lot less strong....
For forces it would be better to use a 2.2 block with a 2.0 or 1.9 crank and very long rods.

The rods are pretty strong do...

Thanks given by:
That rod looks in great condition considering what it's been through!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Holy crap tht rod does look good!! Wonder how they would handle daily use as the price is fairly low on them as well
Thanks given by:
Need to slice your block up to fit them mind. Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(23-07-2016, 06:07 AM)Poodle Wrote: Need to slice your block up to fit them mind. Wink

Thy do standard hdi size ones somewhere ive seen them
Thanks given by:
Those rods have there 5th season this year and small ends are still in pristine condition, no cracks to be found so I think they can be used for daily use at least for rally/race application when they are checked every winter.
The condition they are in surprised me a lot.

New piston design coming up!

Thanks given by:
Hai guys, does any of you know if there are other waterpumps that fit the engine that has more flow?
Running into some cooling issues...
Thanks given by:
Are you permitted to run an external electric pump?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(15-08-2016, 05:54 AM)Piggy Wrote: Are you permitted to run an external electric pump?

If permitted in the rules this is definitely the way forward. Davies Craig etc make brilliant electric pumps. Clip the fins on the back of the mechanical pump so the electric pump is doing all the work and to remove restriction in the cooling system.

Excellent thread by the way, no idea how I've missed it until now!
Thanks given by:
I know the Alfa JTDm engines use an electric water pump from the factory...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Electric is allowed but I have limited battery power and nothing to charge, I do have HP in the engine enough so who cares if the pump would eat 10 away.
Have been looking trough different shops and noticed that the new 16V 150HP models have waterpumps with 18 teeth instead of 20 so mest bet is that they only speed up the pump to get more flow so with a bit of luck a one to one swap.
Another option would be milling my own impeller but hard to tell if that would be better or worse...
Thanks given by:
Fabricobble a belt driven waterpump? Something huge like a bilge pump could provide a lot of flow?
Thanks given by:
The issue with belt driven water pumps and high RPM's is that you get pump cavitation. The pump blades and pulley will be designed with the original engine RPM's in mind and you're likely exceeding that for the duration of the run. Increasing the RPM of the pump will probably make the problem worse. An electric pump will maintain a constant high flow and improve cooling. If weight is an issue RE electrical power, why not run a lightweight alternator - you can get baby ones that are only a few KG.
Thanks given by:
In that case, ice in the header tank Smile

Good call on cavitation though.

hmmmm google thinks cavitation is not a word...
Thanks given by:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation

EDIT: just did another google and I found a thread where the problem is explained in a better way than I have already:

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28023

Check out the post by the guy called "pheyden" (and subsequent post where he is corrected RE size of pulley).
Thanks given by:
(17-08-2016, 02:53 PM)tigerstyle Wrote: hmmmm google thinks cavitation is not a word...

As in with the spellcheck.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DW10 vs DW12 vs DV6 Dreijers 43 16,047 03-12-2017, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Poodle
Wink Converting DW10 to IDI (XUD) TwinkleToes 22 6,694 27-09-2017, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  DW10 Piper cam 306clot 17 5,616 13-05-2016, 12:29 PM
Last Post: toseland