fuel pulsation buffer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fuel pulsation buffer
hi,
ive just bought a X reg hdi, it has the common high frequency whistling noise that can be heard from inside the car. When i brought the car the lad i brought it off suppied a fuel pulsation damper with it (as he hadn't had time to fit it), and he thought that, that would stop the noise.
Ive looked in service box as to where the feul pulsation buffer should be fitted. Service box shows it between the fuel heater and the fuel filter housing (on the coolant-to-fuel) heater vresion. but it doesn't show where the buffer goes on the electric fuel heater.

i have an electric heater and asumed that the buffer would go in the same place as the coolant heater. so i fitted it between the heater and the filter housing, with some rubber fuel hose, but the noise is still present. Huh

Picture of coolant headed fuel system with fuel buffer
[attachment=18412]

picture of electric fuel heater system without buffer
[attachment=18413]

Could anybody advise me, if ive put it in the wrong place, or if the noise could be something else
306 XUD9 gt2052s
306 hdi stage 2 (hdi tuning)
205 STDT -new project
Thanks given by:
I think youive put it in the right place, that''s where it was on my old HDi. This wasn't an item fitted to later HDis, so i can only assume they either found it wasn't working or there was a better solution. No idea which one, i'm afraid, i've always just put up with the noise, it's barely noticeable anyway.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
thanks, i will just put up with the noise then, i just thought i'ld try and fit it seeing as tho i had on.
306 XUD9 gt2052s
205 STDT -new project
Thanks given by:
(17-08-2014, 07:32 AM)Poodle Wrote: I think youive put it in the right place, that''s where it was on my old HDi. This wasn't an item fitted to later HDis, so i can only assume they either found it wasn't working or there was a better solution. No idea which one, i'm afraid, i've always just put up with the noise, it's barely noticeable anyway.

Both a 2001 and 2002 I've driven make the noise.. I find a an OEM Purflux fuel filter helps for some reason - maybe the way the fuel flows through it.
Thanks given by:
The later HDI's are plumbed slightly differently to reduce the pulse knocking noise.

The high frequency whistling noise might be sign of your pump struggling. It might be worth checking the pump to see if anything is restricting it's flow.

An OEM fuel filter could also help as that will be more "tuned" for the system.
Thanks given by:
cheers, the fuel filter was changed not long ago (with a OEM one i think) but i might change it again to see if that helps.

The noise does sound like is coming from the HP pump, I've checked lines to the pump and there is a no kinks etc and no sign of any obvious restriction but i will look over the the system again.

Thinking about i should check the strainer for the LP pump too
306 XUD9 gt2052s
205 STDT -new project
Thanks given by:
So the noise is coming from the hp pump or the lp pump?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
the noise is coming HP pump (or atleast the area around the HP pump)

i just thought i would check the stainer in the LP pump to see if it is causing any restriction
306 XUD9 gt2052s
205 STDT -new project
Thanks given by:
Oh right ok, bizarre. Don't know mate, out of ideas here.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I always used OEM filters for it so that shouldn't be the issue. And I would have thought something would have given up by now if it was struggling as it's made that noise since I owned it.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
yeah i knew you only used OEM parts.

as poodle said in an earlier post, it's barely noticeable when driving and i have got used to it now, so i will just leave it alone.
306 XUD9 gt2052s
205 STDT -new project
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel Pulsation Buffer MY95 2 1,057 23-12-2016, 08:10 PM
Last Post: toseland