Is anyone teetotal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is anyone teetotal?
(04-08-2014, 10:43 AM)RetroPug Wrote:
(04-08-2014, 06:10 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: I might give it a go, at least on a trial basis. I got the Merc as a reward for quitting smoking, maybe if I quit drinking I could reward myself with a Eunos as a second car.

I'd love to join a gym but because of my knee there's very little I can do besides lift weights, most cardio just causes the knee to stiffen up and swell. That's really when I started drinking heavily, when my knee went when I was younger and ended any hopes of playing rugby professionally, through the beer and lack of exercise I've put on 5 stone since that, which doesn't help the knee either.

Have you tried cycling?
I had joint problems in my knees throughout my teens due to growing very quickly, to the point that one day the ligaments just snapped.
I was told, and have read a lot since that cycling doesn't impact your knees much but does strengthen all the muscles around it.

Not sure what problems with your knee you might be having so it might not be suitable if it is movement that agitates it, for me it was impact so cycling was the answer.

Have you looked into whether or not you can get any sort of physiotherapy through the NHS? I know it's unrelated to drinking but perhaps if your knees were getting better it'd help you get out there and do more active things which would help you cut down on the drinking.

I also think that the idea of only bringing a certain amount out with you, and then saving the rest for a reward for yourself after a certain length of time is a good motivator.
Yeah cycling is just as bad for it mate. I shattered my knee joint and cap playing rugby, had 5 ops and years of physio and it's not much better. I won't complain though, a lot of people have a permanent limp with the same injury so have it worse than me. Mine just tires easily and has trouble with stiffness and swelling due to scar tissue. I'd love to still be able to play rugby, that always kept me fit.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
As for exercise swimming is probably the most low impact exercise you can do. Alot of the time I alternate front crawl with just my arms then back stroke with just my legs to give myself a bit of a rest. You just need to go up to your local pool and plonk yourself in the slow lane and paddle along at f*ck all speed as just getting used to using it is important. Quitting before your tired or hurt is also important.
Thanks given by:
I havnt got a lot of time to read all the messages in this etc but I've worked on bars for 9 years now. I've seen a lot and I care for a lot of the people who drink, often to excess in the pub.

The best advice I can suggest is to not go near the pubs. They're made to be attractive.

It's all well and good people saying for buy beer and I think I browser and saw someone talking about hobbies?? Set yourself reachable, small targets within a hobby. Investing in a bike is always handy. I really feel for you on this matter mate.

Another thing, you REALLY need the support from you friends and family; hearing they're handing you beers seems to me like it's routine and they know you'll drink. Be open with them, tell them how it is, be strong, take the banter when it comes and find an alternative to alcohol. There're a lot alcohol free/alternative drinks. Ginger beer is a good one, you can get them in cans if you're having a doo or shindig at home.

I really wish you the best of luck
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
(04-08-2014, 10:46 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: Yeah cycling is just as bad for it mate. I shattered my knee joint and cap playing rugby, had 5 ops and years of physio and it's not much better. I won't complain though, a lot of people have a permanent limp with the same injury so have it worse than me. Mine just tires easily and has trouble with stiffness and swelling due to scar tissue. I'd love to still be able to play rugby, that always kept me fit.

Ah that's a real shame.
I wonder if maybe swimming without kicking your legs too much would be a good workout that didn't aggravate the knee too badly.

In any case, don't write off just going to the gym and doing weights, at least it is something! It'd keep you busy in the evenings as well, as like you said, you don't enjoy being stuck in the house, better to go to the gym a few nights a week and the pub only a couple of times than go to the pub and drink all of those times?

The problem with cutting out something completely is that if you don't replace it with something it's much more difficult. Any activity that takes up a few evenings after work might be a good first step?
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Regards your knee.
I'm sure you're a young guy but have you looked into or has anyone ever suggested replacement?
My father had his knee replaced about 12 years ago. Similar injuries in his youth from football and coped with it for years but was unable to do various things.
He did find cycling helped but of course every injury is different.
He's basically regretted not getting it done sooner.
Walks the dog daily a good 15 miles and probably 5 rounds of golf a week too.
Has no complaints at all about it and it's got plenty of life left in it.

I've got similar issues with my shoulder, many dislocations and it's never been right since.
I've also got similar drinking issues. It's never a glass of wine, always the bottle or maybe the second.
The shoulder contributed to that too.
I've done the cold turkey no alcohol thing a couple of times, longest stint being nearly a year.
I'm psychicing myself up to doing it again shortly and permanently. But have to be in the right frame of mind.
Have failed once this year to start. Same deal, it's all or nothing. Additive personality plus other stress factors.
The key for me is to find an alternative distraction. Same goes for food. If I'm not bored (watching TV) then I'll not even think about it.
The Mrs reminding me not to does naff all. It has to be based on personal choice and the inner ability to refuse when offered IMHO.
Approach it as a life style change, not just stopping drinking. I find that has helped me more than just stopping something.
That's how I went cold turkey on smoking. Just found a new social set that didn't partake. Now if I'm near smoking I feel physically sick.

I'm planning to join the gym and swim as an alternative distraction.
It would be nice to get back to the fitness I had in my early twenties.
I need to stop pretending I'm still that age now Smile
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2014, 09:34 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: I don't drink, don't smoke, means I can afford to buy nice things Smile

This. Not interested in drink or smokes at all.

The mrs drinks, being a South African from the Western Cape (where some of the finest worldy wines originate from), but she doesn't drink heavily and in 3 years together has probably only got drunk 3 or 4 times. I have no issue with that.

Quite happy to play designated driver.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
about 3 to 4 years ago, I was so close of going off the rails my self, That was due to work, as I was getting the piss took right out of me, left right and centre. To this day I don't even know how I started, What would happen, would be working 2 till 10 doing a job of 4 people, and that would be it! so when I used to finish I would be full of f*cking hell, and then have a drink with a take away, and then it would start from there, I used to have the odd two bottles a week, but then it started to double and it got to the point where it was every night! I never got pissed but from a lad who didn't drink that much to nearly every night, then there's a problem straight away! I don't smoke either, and I was very close of starting and even thinking about doing cocain! My auntie said I am getting worried about you now, as that's not like you! That's how bad I got with work! also I was starting to get very bad tempered , i do have a bad temper but starting to snap at people, at work. Also starting to be a little un friendly to customers, so i was pushed to the point of beyond caring anymore. Work got worse, full sundays ( busy time of the week) on my own! again doing a job of 5 people this time!
How things stopped for me, was when another job role came a long. so applied for that, and got out of the sour environment, which was starting on an early 6 am starts, instead of 2 pms, So with a worlds a part team, a miles better manager, and better hours, in fact an all round better package.
i had to stop, with the every drinking, and takeaways. As i have to be up at 5am as i started work at 6 am.
i tell you what liam, a soon as i got out of the piss taking environment, that was it! I have come back to my old self! people saw a massive change in me again, and now i drink say once a week now, that maybe 2 to 3 bottles or cans. ( depending on what lager i buy)
best advice i can give you, from my side of points, find out what is causing you hell, and get out of the environment.
Things will sort them selves out from there, and the best part of it all, i don't piss drinking, yeah it was hard to break the habit. but the funny thing is, i a drink orange or something like that. as it was habit of drinking something, so i still drink something, but its not a beer etc. As soon as you have that control, you get set in a routine and your away.
lucky for me i got my self back to been me, as i wouldn't like to have seen where i would be now.
Also the high light, with me changing departments and hours, i have managed to meet woman for once, as now i have the better time, and its worked, i am dating someone now. not yet an item but we are getting there.
Thanks given by:
(04-08-2014, 10:52 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: As for exercise swimming is probably the most low impact exercise you can do. Alot of the time I alternate front crawl with just my arms then back stroke with just my legs to give myself a bit of a rest. You just need to go up to your local pool and plonk yourself in the slow lane and paddle along at f*ck all speed as just getting used to using it is important. Quitting before your tired or hurt is also important.

I'm pretty poor in the water, never been much of a swimmer but it is something I've meant to try.

(04-08-2014, 10:54 AM)ginge191 Wrote: I havnt got a lot of time to read all the messages in this etc but I've worked on bars for 9 years now. I've seen a lot and I care for a lot of the people who drink, often to excess in the pub.

The best advice I can suggest is to not go near the pubs. They're made to be attractive.

It's all well and good people saying for buy beer and I think I browser and saw someone talking about hobbies?? Set yourself reachable, small targets within a hobby. Investing in a bike is always handy. I really feel for you on this matter mate.

Another thing, you REALLY need the support from you friends and family; hearing they're handing you beers seems to me like it's routine and they know you'll drink. Be open with them, tell them how it is, be strong, take the banter when it comes and find an alternative to alcohol. There're a lot alcohol free/alternative drinks. Ginger beer is a good one, you can get them in cans if you're having a doo or shindig at home.

I really wish you the best of luck

Thanks Steve, I know what you mean about seeing people, I was in the bar game myself for a while and you really do see some sad sights, people who really are out of control, and know it, but can't stop. I'm quite tempted to do it on the sly, ginger beer pretty much looks like cider, and I doubt anyone would notice that I'm not getting pissed because I have a pretty high tolerance, you can't tell I've had a drink until 9-10 pints are down. Just drink soft drinks and not say anything.

(04-08-2014, 10:57 AM)RetroPug Wrote: Ah that's a real shame.
I wonder if maybe swimming without kicking your legs too much would be a good workout that didn't aggravate the knee too badly.

In any case, don't write off just going to the gym and doing weights, at least it is something! It'd keep you busy in the evenings as well, as like you said, you don't enjoy being stuck in the house, better to go to the gym a few nights a week and the pub only a couple of times than go to the pub and drink all of those times?

The problem with cutting out something completely is that if you don't replace it with something it's much more difficult. Any activity that takes up a few evenings after work might be a good first step?

I am quite tempted to go down the body building route, I'm just worried about piling on excess bulk and weight. It would be good though, I see photos of myself in rugby gear at 16 or 17, with big arms and a flat stomach and I miss it, I'm a right fat fucker now.

The drinking all started when I did my knee, I was gutted because I genuinely was close to playing professionally, I'd had trials at Salford, Batley, Hunslet, Wakefield and Bradford and was waiting to hear on them. I actually got a call from Bradfords coach asking me to meet him to discuss a contract 2 days after I got out of hospital, and I had to explain it was unlikely I'd be able to play again. I'm not a cryer, but I put the phone down and burst into tears, that'd been my dream for 10 years.

(04-08-2014, 11:18 AM)nominous Wrote: Regards your knee.
I'm sure you're a young guy but have you looked into or has anyone ever suggested replacement?
My father had his knee replaced about 12 years ago. Similar injuries in his youth from football and coped with it for years but was unable to do various things.
He did find cycling helped but of course every injury is different.
He's basically regretted not getting it done sooner.
Walks the dog daily a good 15 miles and probably 5 rounds of golf a week too.
Has no complaints at all about it and it's got plenty of life left in it.

I've got similar issues with my shoulder, many dislocations and it's never been right since.
I've also got similar drinking issues. It's never a glass of wine, always the bottle or maybe the second.
The shoulder contributed to that too.
I've done the cold turkey no alcohol thing a couple of times, longest stint being nearly a year.
I'm psychicing myself up to doing it again shortly and permanently. But have to be in the right frame of mind.
Have failed once this year to start. Same deal, it's all or nothing. Additive personality plus other stress factors.
The key for me is to find an alternative distraction. Same goes for food. If I'm not bored (watching TV) then I'll not even think about it.
The Mrs reminding me not to does naff all. It has to be based on personal choice and the inner ability to refuse when offered IMHO.
Approach it as a life style change, not just stopping drinking. I find that has helped me more than just stopping something.
That's how I went cold turkey on smoking. Just found a new social set that didn't partake. Now if I'm near smoking I feel physically sick.

I'm planning to join the gym and swim as an alternative distraction.
It would be nice to get back to the fitness I had in my early twenties.
I need to stop pretending I'm still that age now Smile

The knee replacement is an option for the future, because I've been told I'll probably suffer with arthritis in the joint, but for now I can't see it being better than flesh and bone.

Sounds like your in the same place as me really, kind of a turning point. I really hope it works out for you man Smile
(04-08-2014, 11:38 AM)procta Wrote: about 3 to 4 years ago, I was so close of going off the rails my self, That was due to work, as I was getting the piss took right out of me, left right and centre. To this day I don't even know how I started, What would happen, would be working 2 till 10 doing a job of 4 people, and that would be it! so when I used to finish I would be full of f*cking hell, and then have a drink with a take away, and then it would start from there, I used to have the odd two bottles a week, but then it started to double and it got to the point where it was every night! I never got pissed but from a lad who didn't drink that much to nearly every night, then there's a problem straight away! I don't smoke either, and I was very close of starting and even thinking about doing cocain! My auntie said I am getting worried about you now, as that's not like you! That's how bad I got with work! also I was starting to get very bad tempered , i do have a bad temper but starting to snap at people, at work. Also starting to be a little un friendly to customers, so i was pushed to the point of beyond caring anymore. Work got worse, full sundays ( busy time of the week) on my own! again doing a job of 5 people this time!
How things stopped for me, was when another job role came a long. so applied for that, and got out of the sour environment, which was starting on an early 6 am starts, instead of 2 pms, So with a worlds a part team, a miles better manager, and better hours, in fact an all round better package.
i had to stop, with the every drinking, and takeaways. As i have to be up at 5am as i started work at 6 am.
i tell you what liam, a soon as i got out of the piss taking environment, that was it! I have come back to my old self! people saw a massive change in me again, and now i drink say once a week now, that maybe 2 to 3 bottles or cans. ( depending on what lager i buy)
best advice i can give you, from my side of points, find out what is causing you hell, and get out of the environment.
Things will sort them selves out from there, and the best part of it all, i don't piss drinking, yeah it was hard to break the habit. but the funny thing is, i a drink orange or something like that. as it was habit of drinking something, so i still drink something, but its not a beer etc. As soon as you have that control, you get set in a routine and your away.
lucky for me i got my self back to been me, as i wouldn't like to have seen where i would be now.
Also the high light, with me changing departments and hours, i have managed to meet woman for once, as now i have the better time, and its worked, i am dating someone now. not yet an item but we are getting there.
I can really relate to that, I work in a high stress job and feel quite out of my depth some days, but it's the job I chose so I'm just having to force myself to learn. Glad things are going well for you man, you've mentioned the work issues before.

Thanks again everyone. Just goes to show that this place is far more than just a car forum.
Thanks given by:
(04-08-2014, 12:30 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: I am quite tempted to go down the body building route, I'm just worried about piling on excess bulk and weight. It would be good though, I see photos of myself in rugby gear at 16 or 17, with big arms and a flat stomach and I miss it, I'm a right fat fucker now.

The drinking all started when I did my knee, I was gutted because I genuinely was close to playing professionally, I'd had trials at Salford, Batley, Hunslet, Wakefield and Bradford and was waiting to hear on them. I actually got a call from Bradfords coach asking me to meet him to discuss a contract 2 days after I got out of hospital, and I had to explain it was unlikely I'd be able to play again. I'm not a cryer, but I put the phone down and burst into tears, that'd been my dream for 10 years.

Yeah I've read about it a bit in your other posts. It must have been extremely hard to deal with and I can't imagine how bad it was but I bet it's still painful.

Regarding the gym and lifting weights etc. There are ways to train that focus on lean muscle rather than bulking out and size gaining, for example, a lot of bodyweight type exercises are good as you exercise whole muscle groups and your body grows proportionately, for example pull-ups. Obviously do your own research if you decide to go down this route but weightlifting routines for general fitness and conditioning rather than mass gaining definitely do exist. Swimming is definitely good too, even if you're not the most confident swimmer if you go to most pools there are people of all abilities there so it really doesn't matter. It works lots of muscles at the same time and is a good aerobic workout as well.

It's good motivation to cut down on the drink, if you start putting in hard work at the gym you'll start feeling like you've wasted that hour in the gym in 10 minutes of a couple of drinks! If there's no motivation like a reward for money saved, or getting in shape, or both, then it's difficult to just force yourself with no goals or progression towards something.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
even though liam the route you took work wise, if its turning you sour, its best to move onto another area in the game, I am looking to change all together now.
Thanks given by:
AA? I know it sounds daft, but don't knock it till you've tried it.
I was pretty f*cked up on drugs a while back and went to NA and it was a world of help.
Thanks given by:
(04-08-2014, 02:58 PM)RetroPug Wrote:
(04-08-2014, 12:30 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: I am quite tempted to go down the body building route, I'm just worried about piling on excess bulk and weight. It would be good though, I see photos of myself in rugby gear at 16 or 17, with big arms and a flat stomach and I miss it, I'm a right fat fucker now.

Yeah I've read about it a bit in your other posts. It must have been extremely hard to deal with and I can't imagine how bad it was but I bet it's still painful.

Regarding the gym and lifting weights etc. There are ways to train that focus on lean muscle rather than bulking out and size gaining, for example, a lot of bodyweight type exercises are good as you exercise whole muscle groups and your body grows proportionately, for example pull-ups. Obviously do your own research if you decide to go down this route but weightlifting routines for general fitness and conditioning rather than mass gaining definitely do exist. Swimming is definitely good too, even if you're not the most confident swimmer if you go to most pools there are people of all abilities there so it really doesn't matter. It works lots of muscles at the same time and is a good aerobic workout as well.

It's good motivation to cut down on the drink, if you start putting in hard work at the gym you'll start feeling like you've wasted that hour in the gym in 10 minutes of a couple of drinks! If there's no motivation like a reward for money saved, or getting in shape, or both, then it's difficult to just force yourself with no goals or progression towards something.

I'm definitely going to look into this mate, could be just what I need, cheers.
(04-08-2014, 03:27 PM)procta Wrote: even though liam the route you took work wise, if its turning you sour, its best to move onto another area in the game, I am looking to change all together now.
My job is bloody hard work but it pays well and despite the stress I'm good at it, I worked hard to get here so I'm not gonna jack it in now. There's no way I could make this kind of money anywhere else with no qualifications.
(04-08-2014, 04:33 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: AA? I know it sounds daft, but don't knock it till you've tried it.
I was pretty f*cked up on drugs a while back and went to NA and it was a world of help.
As I've said mate, I'm not dependent, just drinking too much. Thanks though, NA is good, really helped one of my work colleagues.
Thanks given by:
I did the first half of uni not drinking... then went for it! I only drink socially and not much at that. You need to know your limits and being able to say no is what you need to do. I appreciate you dont want to feel left out but whats happening obviously isnt healthy and youre not remembering or most importantly enjoying it. Learn to say no, youll remember more, be more social, get into less trouble and save money x
Thanks given by:
(04-08-2014, 05:26 AM)Pete Wrote: A said moderation is the key, though some people can either do all or nothing. Personally I'll enjoy the odd beer/wine on a weekend and that's about it, Hardly get get properly drunk anymore as I'm usually up early for work or bikes the next day. The missus spends the entire next day hungover in bed and I see that as such a waste TBH

Have you stolen my life Pete? lol
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
I did the opposite of Sam, did my gap year and first year of Uni drinking a f*ck-tonne, my tolerance got worryingly high for someone of my build and I reckon I'd lost well over 24 hours from memory loss. Then started dating my girlfriend, who is a muslim, and consequently teetotal, and have hardly got drunk since. I realised I was mostly doing it for confidence, and no longer needed the dutch courage thanks to her.

I still absolutely love ale though, and will have a bottle probably every other night, but only ever one bottle. Occasionally on a night out I'll have two or three pints, but just because I like the taste and really don't like fizzy drinks. I feel like I'm mugging off the pub if I only drink water Tongue

Anyway, moral of the story is limit yourself to one if your drinking it for the taste, and you'll realise you don't need (or probably even enjoy) the sensation of being drunk. It's got to the point where if I have 2 pints I start to feel a bit tipsy and will then switch to water to sober up. Never thought I'd say that 2 years ago!
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Adult swimming lessons are surprisingly cheap but youll always remember how to swim if you could vaguely do it when you were younger.

Why not give up and tell yourself that you can start again (in moderation) at the christmas meet? Call it a 12 pint limit or a 9 pint limit if you want to sound good.
Thanks given by:
Also, be the designated driver, all the time, your mates will appreciate the lift, and you have an excuse not to drink.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Don't think anyone is suggesting you're dependant mate, I know people who reactically have to have a few tins to get up in the morning,

BUT

You're asking an internet forum about cars about something that could be a real issue. Yes the advice might be sound but it's certainly not professional, whereas the NHS OR AA would be hence the suggestions to go there.

I would want to be getting the most professional trained advice I could.

To be honest there is no shame in asking for help or advice any more, very little stigma like their used to be.

First thing to do is set yourself 4 days a week to drink absolutely nothing,

Start with a 2days, then next week go 3 etc.

I am obviously not a doctor, but I have a fair bit of training through the school on this sort of thing with the kids.

Go cold turkey and let me know if you feel any different via a pm if you like, that will be the ultimate test
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
I'm asking on here mate because there are people on here I count as good friends who I've known for years, who are outside of my usual group of friends in Leeds who I know can give me an impartial opinion, and who I trust to give good advice (which I think I've had). I'm not asking about alcohol dependency, I'm asking about being teetotal, because I'm considering steps to limit my boozing before it becomes dependency. As I've said I've seen alcoholism a lot in my family, and I know I'm not an alcoholic, so I don't need professional help.

Haven't touched a drop since Saturday night, and we had a meet at a pub last night, haven't had a drink. Really fancy one though, but I'm just going to do something else. Stopping in and cooking a meal tonight.
Thanks given by:
Good effort mate. Smile

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Nice one mate. Carry on like that and soon you will suddenly bit a point of realisation and think why the hell did I enjoy drinking as much as I did!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I know matey, just saying,

I wasn't saying only take the doctors advice, one of the things I do when sorting out something is get opinions from both professionals, nhs etc, and experienced, on here.

Then use both. Either way progress is already being made with what you are doing and I hope I could have that resolve someday
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2014, 10:42 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: I'm asking on here mate because there are people on here I count as good friends who I've known for years, who are outside of my usual group of friends in Leeds who I know can give me an impartial opinion, and who I trust to give good advice (which I think I've had). I'm not asking about alcohol dependency, I'm asking about being teetotal, because I'm considering steps to limit my boozing before it becomes dependency. As I've said I've seen alcoholism a lot in my family, and I know I'm not an alcoholic, so I don't need professional help.

Haven't touched a drop since Saturday night, and we had a meet at a pub last night, haven't had a drink. Really fancy one though, but I'm just going to do something else. Stopping in and cooking a meal tonight.

Result mate !! Keep going Smile

Make sure you have things to do in the evenings as well (I did this when stopping smoking), you cooking etc is awesome - it may become a new hobby Wink

Thanks given by:
Just make sure you test fire alarm before you start cooking Wink

Seriously tho mate well done should be proud of ya sen
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2014, 10:42 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: I'm asking on here mate because there are people on here I count as good friends who I've known for years, who are outside of my usual group of friends in Leeds who I know can give me an impartial opinion, and who I trust to give good advice (which I think I've had). I'm not asking about alcohol dependency, I'm asking about being teetotal, because I'm considering steps to limit my boozing before it becomes dependency. As I've said I've seen alcoholism a lot in my family, and I know I'm not an alcoholic, so I don't need professional help.

good lad, best thing too, if you fancy a drink then get an orange or something, at least you are drinking something.
also two of my family have alcohol problems, one had a stroke due to it, the other is having problems now, another reason why I binned what I was doing too.
Thanks given by:
Found something else as a distraction - Pokemon Fire Red Wink
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2014, 09:14 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Found something else as a distraction - Pokemon Fire Red Wink

Result...awaits a new addiction thread lol

Thanks given by:
Mate you really sound like your doing the "I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings" thing. Fact is you are starting to display some of the signs of it and you could almost certainly be classed as a problem drinker. I know they aren't labels you want because of the stigma attached but the first step to fixing your problem is admitting you have a problem which you have pretty much done.

Speaking to your doctor could get you some extra help or ideas none of us have thought of and if you decide you don't like his ideas your still free to ignore him.
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2014, 09:14 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Found something else as a distraction - Pokemon Fire Red Wink

that's a start, keep going with that, then before you know it, you are set in a routine, i have two nights of drinking, that's only been two cans last night, and three to night, i am on a late night finishes this week, but that's me done for the week after tonight with drink, as i am back on my training on the fork lift, ( that's a different story) so i will be getting up at 8 am for the rest of the week. so i want a clear head. you might aswell say that adds up to a night out,
i tell you what i do too, is when i know i have to get my head down at 9 30 pm, for 5 am, is i take a drink of milk or water etc ( no booze )with either a two yogurts or something to munch on, bung a dvd on and then just shut down.
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2014, 11:39 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Mate you really sound like your doing the "I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings" thing. Fact is you are starting to display some of the signs of it and you could almost certainly be classed as a problem drinker. I know they aren't labels you want because of the stigma attached but the first step to fixing your problem is admitting you have a problem which you have pretty much done.

Speaking to your doctor could get you some extra help or ideas none of us have thought of and if you decide you don't like his ideas your still free to ignore him.
Not being funny mate but I haven't had a drink since Saturday. Alcoholics can't do that, I've been around enough to know. I know that's the way I've been heading though, which is why I posted this thread, to see how people find being teetotal.
Thanks given by: