The toy, 306GTI trackday racer. *Dial-up warning: Picture heavy*

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The toy, 306GTI trackday racer. *Dial-up warning: Picture heavy*
My mechanic replaced the big seal, and everything was fine, then he took a longer test drive, and it started leaking again :-(
Tinkerer of 306gti6 trackday racer, less stuff, more hard, more umpf, more stop.
Thanks given by:
I hate it when things go wrong after all the work you put into it, but anyway looking good well done Smile
Thanks given by:
I hate crank shaft seals too mate.
Thanks given by:
How in the name of fsm did this happen???

[Image: 9f43cded0623467095de277cb80acbe6.jpg]

No wonder it was dripping like a Virgin bride on her wedding night!
Tinkerer of 306gti6 trackday racer, less stuff, more hard, more umpf, more stop.
Thanks given by:
Ouchy
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Oh, and the crank end play is 0,16mm..
Thanks given by:
0.16 is fine, tolerance is 0.07 to 0.27

seals are tricky to fit, probably rushing and pushed too hard.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2015, 04:29 PM)welshpug Wrote: 0.16 is fine, tolerance is 0.07 to 0.27

Not according to Peugeot ;-)
[Image: a968651a7c1029da77e1f2430cf7b3a6.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2015, 04:29 PM)welshpug Wrote: 0.16 is fine, tolerance is 0.07 to 0.27

Ok, fine, could you dig up some data for me? Starting to doubt everything I find! And French us not a language I speak so that pdf I showed a pic from is translated with the help of Google..
Thanks given by:
straight from haynes manual.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Thanks [WHITE SMILING FACE]
So with that in mind, and a thorough check of my dial indicators, I finally came to the conclusion that I have a 0,14mm clearance, a.k.a. Just right.

Handed in the custom clutch to get it skimmed a tenth or so since I had to smash gears in. I also ordered new rubber strips, all to be picked up today.
My goal is to have the car ready before Sunday turns into Monday!
Thanks given by:
I've been working on the car quite a bit lately. Engine went back together and got thrown in to the bay last Sunday, then I had starter motor issues so had to get a replacement, after that was sorted it was "MOT" time!
It failed a bit due to a busted cat, but I can now drive it semi legally for a month, and before that month has passed I'll get to go to two meets and give her a bit of abuse :-D she'll be put of the road by September 29th for the winter season, a bit early but Im satisfied.
Happy days!
Thanks given by:
Race report!
Got to within 3 tenths of a second of my personal best, but there's room for improvement in the chassis setup and tire pressure. When i removed the servo i decided to dial the castor angles back to stock(ish) to make the steering a bit less heavy. Unfortunately this meant that i'm not getting enough camber while turning so the tires showed tendencies to overheat on the outside edge. Normally i'd put this down to toe-in issues but i dialed in about 4mm toe out so that should not be the problem.

Also, i forgot to check the tire pressures before leaving. Turned out i had 2,7bar on one side and 1,9 bar on the other (hot)... And nobody had a pump!

By the end of the day i got issues with the battery, turns out i need a better ground between engine and chassis, thers's a 1volt difference between the gearbox and chassis so the battery (mounted under the passenger chair) never got charged properly during the day!
Thanks given by:
I very often get the question as to why I chose to buy a 306, why not something "better" ?

I think this chart shows that I made a good choice :

1:17,70 Lars Lindqvist Opel Speedster 
1:21,98 Anders Broman Honda S2000 
1:22,25 Peter Boström BMW 325 
1:23,35 Pontus Österlindh Peugeot 208 GTI 
1:23,77 Jan Levenrot Peugeot 306 GTI 
1:24,80 Alexander Modenius Porsche 997 Turbo 
1:24,99 Jonas Hjälsten Porsche 996 4S 
1:25,40 Ulf Jansson Honda Prelude 
1:25,76 Mikael Hultberg Porsche Cayman S 
1:26,61 Max Jarl BMW E30 V8 
1:27,38 Kalle Hjulström Sierra Cosworth 
1:28,78 Christian Karlberg BMW Z3 Coupe 
1:28,87 Per Myrander BMW Z4 
1:29,14 Christian Lindblom VW Polo 
1:29,30 Martin Örtengren Lotus Elise S1 
1:30,51 Peter Mellberg Volvo 242 

*pats myself on the back*
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2015, 12:39 PM)Janne L Wrote: I very often get the question as to why I chose to buy a 306, why not something "better" ?

I think this chart shows why I made a good choice :

1:17,70 Lars Lindqvist Opel Speedster 
1:21,98 Anders Broman Honda S2000 
1:22,25 Peter Boström BMW 325 
1:23,35 Pontus Österlindh Peugeot 208 GTI 
1:23,77 Jan Levenrot Peugeot 306 GTI 
1:24,80 Alexander Modenius Porsche 997 Turbo 
1:24,99 Jonas Hjälsten Porsche 996 4S 
1:25,40 Ulf Jansson Honda Prelude 
1:25,76 Mikael Hultberg Porsche Cayman S 
1:26,61 Max Jarl BMW E30 V8 
1:27,38 Kalle Hjulström Sierra Cosworth 
1:28,78 Christian Karlberg BMW Z3 Coupe 
1:28,87 Per Myrander BMW Z4 
1:29,14 Christian Lindblom VW Polo 
1:29,30 Martin Örtengren Lotus Elise S1 
1:30,51 Peter Mellberg Volvo 242 

*pats myself on the back*

And so you should! That's awesome!
Thanks given by:
You got beaten by a 208!
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
He cheats! it's tuned, has a set of coilies, same brakes as I'm using and 30+extra bhp.

Also, I forgot to bleed one corner, had the wrong tire pressure and set the castor angles wrong! ^_^
Thanks given by:
My racing season is now officially over, managed a 1:23,09 at the same place as the above list came from. A new personal best from a previous 1:23,43 that I managed last year.
Car felt good on the track, I think I'm starting to get close to its capacity, especially the rear end, it's time for a camber kit! :-D
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2015, 07:45 PM)C2K Wrote: You got beaten by a 208!

(12-09-2015, 07:39 PM)Janne L Wrote: My racing season is now officially over, managed a 1:23,09 at the same place as the above list came from. A new personal best from a previous 1:23,43 that I managed last year.
Car felt good on the track, I think I'm starting to get close to its capacity, especially the rear end, it's time for a camber kit! :-D
Well done on the new pb :-) and well done for kicking ass of the 208's time from the list! ;-)))))
What do you's get upto over the winter months if the cars are off the track?
Thanks given by:
Saving money for my spouse's 30th, and our upcoming wedding in May [emoji14]

So anything that's cheap, I still have the sound insulation behind the dash to take out and I'll probably clean up the electrical system while it's out.

The wish list contains a roll cage and a rear camber kit.
Thanks given by:
Video from the last outing :-)
https://youtu.be/o816Ho58yh8
Thanks given by:
I dont like winter, the garage gets too cold!
Since i parked her in September absolutely nothing has happened, It failed the exhaust test due to a broken catalytic converter so i only got to drive it for about a month last year.

But spring is upon us, the days are getting longer and instead of getting married in May, I'm single, and happy..

Plans as if today for the 2016 season:

Half cage, 6 point harness(es) , replace passenger seat with another fibreglass unit , quaife diff. All but the extra seat are ordered.
Thanks given by:
Accidentally ordered a set of TD pro race 1.2 16x7" rims [emoji1]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  306 rallye trackday project twangy 383 178,410 19-03-2020, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  FXZ Steve's China HDi - Daily Driver (Picture Heavy) FXZ Steve 17 3,854 19-06-2014, 07:25 PM
Last Post: FXZ Steve