Legalities of towing a trailer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legalities of towing a trailer.
I'm thinking of getting a trailer for my 306 that I can use to put odds and sods in, i.e. Small sit on lawn mover etc. Does anyone know what I can legally tow with a normal driving licence and all the attachments I need between car and trailer. I passed my driving test 4 years ago.
Thanks Smile
[Image: 306_zpsadcff53a.png]
Thanks given by:
I've researched this recently because I'm getting a caravan, here goes...

GVW = gross vehicle weight, what a car or trailer can weigh loaded fully.

Unladed weight = weight of car or trailer unloaded.

The combined GVW of car and caravan can not exceed 3.5 tonnes, and the trailers GVW must be less than the cars unladen weight, even if it isn't loaded.

So basically, my 190E is 1170kg unladen, so my caravans GVW can not exceed that. The 2 berth caravans I'm looking at all weight about 800kg unladen and about 1100kg GVW, so I can legally tow that, but not much more...

Any trailer that can carry a lawn mower will probably have a plated GVW of about 1500kg minimum, which is more than a 306 weighs, so that wouldn't be legal.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
i thought the law had been changed so from a certain date people had to do a trailer test, or have i missread this somewhere?
Thanks given by:
If you passed after 1997 (most of were in school then lol) then you can drive (inc trailer) up to 3.5t as Liam states. Need a trailer licence for anything bigger.

Anyone that passed before that can drive pretty much anything lol (yes, the doddery old ladies have more towing rights than us lol ).
Thanks given by:
My mate goes on about this and says something to do with if its a braked trailer as well then u have less rights to legally be on the road after '97. I've towed trailers for yrs with no problems but depends on how clue'd up the coppers are and if u have been involved in an accident or something.......
I worked on a farm at 17 towing trailers with 7/8 tonnes of crop through the year on main roads so I don't see why to tow a 1 tonne car on a twin axle/ braked trailer I need a trailer test. Where is the logic????
Thanks given by:
Its not quite the same though, unless tractors can do 60mph and drive on motorways. Big Grin

But about the brakes, any trailer over 750kg (loaded) must be braked, so any car trailer must be braked tbh.
Thanks given by:
[attachment=17972]

From the 306 handbook, gives all the maximum unbraked weights, nothing over 630kg(or less dependant on engine size). Which isnt alot when you take the weight of the trailer.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That's interesting, never even looked at that when I was towing stuff!

So why can a 1.8 5dr tow MORE than a HDi 5dr!? Confused
Thanks given by:
Why can a 5dr tow more than a 3dr aswell?
Thanks given by:
Hmm, yeah, odd!
Thanks given by:
related to the weight of the vehicle (5 door and 3 door that is) as they are marginally different. not sure about the HDi tho.. maybe related to gross engine power too?

anyway, just like liam says

you can tow up to 750kg ON TOP of 3500kg vehicle,

or

you can tow a trailer that is heavier (and appropriately braked --up to 1200kg on the 306) where the Gross train weight (car and the trailer) equal 3500kg
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Will need a tow bar obviously with electrics

Trailor board with your plate on

Can tow upto 750kg unbraked

You can't tow more than your car weighs so trailor and what's in it can't be more than 1100kg ish

If it's over 750kg needs to be braked

That's how I see it
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(26-07-2014, 05:19 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Its not quite the same though, unless tractors can do 60mph and drive on motorways. Big Grin

But about the brakes, any trailer over 750kg (loaded) must be braked, so any car trailer must be braked tbh.

Those fast trac JCB things are fast. Something like 50/55mph I think. But braking with that weight behind you at a slower speed compared to a lighter weight going faster I'm not sure on the figures etc.
Thanks given by:
Theres two sets of limits. Licence and car.

Licence appears to be 750kg unbraked or 3500kg gross weight.

Car limits depends on the car obviously and most of the 306 limits are in the pic above.

Exceed any of these limits and your towing illegally.
Thanks given by:
You'll be fine with a small trailer. I tow 19 foot trailers and speedboats unbraked no problem.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What car; towing ginge191 26 5,283 24-03-2017, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  Trailer Questions tigerstyle 4 1,217 12-02-2017, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  Towing Question Orta 22 8,466 15-10-2016, 07:56 AM
Last Post: Blaze Addict