Sad days for the Cuore :'(

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sad days for the Cuore :'(
Yeah, sod mucking about with it, if it's half as bad as it looks then it'll just be wasting time and money.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I say try the petrol. A few quids worth of petrol and an oil change has to be worth a go to save a rebuild?
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
But better to get it done properly and once and for all while Ali doesn't need the car for work imo. Problem is, if it solves the problem for a couple of months, which realistically is the best outcome, then when it does go it'll be a serious problem which needs an immediate fix, which naturally quadruples the price of the job = 1 scrapped cuore.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
for the price of them cut your losses bail it and buy another if you like them there cheap enough to be throw away

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motor...1073534871

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motor...1073485402

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motor...1073685882
Thanks given by:
(21-07-2014, 12:25 PM)Poodle Wrote: But better to get it done properly and once and for all while Ali doesn't need the car for work imo. Problem is, if it solves the problem for a couple of months, which realistically is the best outcome, then when it does go it'll be a serious problem which needs an immediate fix, which naturally quadruples the price of the job = 1 scrapped cuore.

When what goes? The rings? If they're just gummed up with oil then surely they should seal properly with that washed out?
Thanks given by:
Were trying a redex stop smoke + fuel system treatment. Was only a few quid and I'm not around the cuore for much longer to try anything more. Not holding out much hope though haha

Going to have to organize sone time to get it sorted as logisticley Is a bit tricky at the moment
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Thanks for all the advice guys... All of it is really handy! As steve said we tried some redex stop smoke and fuel system treatment but so far its not really changed anything. However we did figure out that it only spits oil/smoke out the back when its left idle/revved straight from cold. We tried it after running around in it all morning and it was completely clean, then left it for a few hours and tried again and it spat big chunks of oil out all over the road. This had us thinking, if whoever does the MOT does the emissions tests while the cars hot, it might not cause a problem, but obviously thats all based on luck. Next time im down south we shall have to see if we can get together and put in fresh rings etc like you all say. Until then just gonna have to keep trying the easy routes and hope one of them work.
French Wench
Thanks given by:
(21-07-2014, 01:06 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: When what goes? The rings? If they're just gummed up with oil then surely they should seal properly with that washed out?

Fair point. Meh, up to Ali at the end of the day, you and I could argue this until the cows come home. lol
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
It's evidently shagged rings...

If you're intent on fixing it, it'd take you a week or so to pull it all to pieces, hone, replace rings and carry on... But seriously, I know we all love working on cars, but is it worth it... Is it insanely tidy underneath etc - any doubts of whether it's likely to stay reliable and carry on passing MOTs, I'd cut your losses.

And IMHO little point in magic potions, trying to clean the rings, you just won't do it... Remember the quantities of oil needed to get a shit off cloud off of it, a drip of the stuff goes a very long way!

Like, you could get a 1.3 Micra that's significantly more reliable etc, looks mostly the same and are pennies these days - and do 45mpg everywhere no matter how you drive them! Cracking little motors the CG13s as well!!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Seems a shame to bin a good car...
Thanks given by:
It's not a good car though if it won't pass an mot due to not even passing a diesel smoke test lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(22-07-2014, 02:09 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Seems a shame to bin a good car...

Always painful, but as said, unless it's a perfect example, it's financially insane!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Its a ceuore. Its one of 85 in the country or something. Thats rarer than a black rallye... would you scrap a black rallye??!!
Thanks given by:
(22-07-2014, 04:42 PM)SRowell Wrote: Its a ceuore. Its one of 85 in the country or something. Thats rarer than a black rallye... would you scrap a black rallye??!!

Are you joking?

http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/daihatsu_cuore

623 on the road, 91 SORN.
Thanks given by:
Seems there was a mix up with the cuore count,my apologies
however think most of those are the old model not the 2002 with the variable valve timing which is half the problem of finding a new engine as most are engine code ej-de not ej-ve, also has nicer bumpers etc

along on plus side it seems the cuore was sold on in a different name
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...?logcode=p
Could be a new source of parts

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(22-07-2014, 04:59 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Seems there was a mix up with the cuore count,my apologies
however think most of those are the old model not the 2002 with the variable valve timing which is half the problem of finding a new engine as most are engine code ej-de not ej-ve, also has nicer bumpers etc

And there was me thinking it was awesome... You used to be cool Steve...
Thanks given by:
If its gonna get scrapped I'll have it and rebuild it!
Thanks given by:
(22-07-2014, 05:56 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: If its gonna get scrapped I'll have it and rebuild it!

What he said
Thanks given by:
(22-07-2014, 06:24 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(22-07-2014, 05:56 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: If its gonna get scrapped I'll have it and rebuild it!

What he said
MINE!!! Allie likes me more because I'm also from Yorkshire, and Steve likes me because I'm beautiful and occasionally call his Rover an MG.
Thanks given by:
I get second dibs as i only made one head gasket related joke at Pugfest!
Thanks given by:
Might have to piss on it...
Thanks given by:
(22-07-2014, 07:27 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Might have to piss on it...

Dude!...what?

Thanks given by:
(22-07-2014, 09:04 PM)lolsteve Wrote:
(22-07-2014, 07:27 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Might have to piss on it...

Dude!...what?

Marking my territory bro...
Thanks given by:
Not if I piss on it first
Thanks given by:
Woooah woooah calm down ladies. No talk of scrapping her just yet. Honestly I kno shes not much and itd be easier to just get rid and buy a new one than try and fix her up, but its the first car ive honestly loved and I think all of u know how that feels. When I bought the car, it was purely just to see me through til me and steve move in together then scrap but weve both ended up with a soft spot for it. So I have to atleast try and fix her...even just to get her through just one last mot
French Wench
Thanks given by:
Rip it all apart then, new rings, hone bores.

Seems a bit excessive for a car that will very possibly be scrapped after the next MOT!!!
Thanks given by:
Just buy a kelisa or another curoe. Use the current one for parts. What I done with the hatch 306 I had
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
I think most "car people" can relate to an irrational attachment which can't always been seen as logical... At the end of the day if you like the car and want to save it, do it.

If you can get hold of another engine, it might be an idea to get one, strip it down and check/replace the rings and anything else that needs it, then swap the whole lot. That way it can be done over time, without taking the car off the road for too long.
Thanks given by:
Its true about irrational attachment. Ive.had some right sheds ive loved
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
I like the idea of repairing it. Its a big job but not overly pricy. It seems so many people are becoming wasteful and just scrap cars that are 10 years or older because there is something wrong with them, go out, buy a car for a grand and when that goes wrong, repeat. Its a false economy!

Plus if you love the car, do it. Ive had that unexplainable love for a car before and spent far more than its value on repairing it....

Oh wait, i still own it lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  days when it all hangs together Magenta Sunset 5 1,334 21-04-2016, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  one of them days Stef205 6 1,583 23-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Last Post: welshpug
  the day of days is here daddyfixit 8 1,607 06-03-2015, 03:42 PM
Last Post: silverzx