Sad days for the Cuore :'(

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sad days for the Cuore :'(
So the oil burning.
It wont make it through its mot with this current issue and its mot is due in september. That means I have just over a month to fix the oil burning issue. Ive asked my dad and hes said he doesnt mind us fixing it ourselves.
People have suggested it could be the piston rings etc. I asked for some advice today from a garage whove done us quite a few solids in the past. Theyve said it will either need a complete engine rebuild or just a new engine altogether....both of which are very pricey. I think the first plan of action is to take the engine apart and figure out just what the problem is, then we can decide what the best option is from there onwards. But firstly I need to decide whether to do this up north or down south. So are any of u guys willing or free to help on this? Ive got steve obvs but think we might need a bit of help.
French Wench
Thanks given by:
This definitely is screaming out for an engine change...
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
I'm sure if you make lots of bacon and tea I can drive over and throw abuse at Steve while pretending to help? Tongue

Course I'll help, do it down South lol
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I'll help down south....giggidy

Your garage is talking a bit of rubbish though. There is only 3 reasons for oil entering the bores:
Worn piston oil control rings
Leaking valve guide seals
Cracked head or block

The last would be the only one to need a new engine and I highly highly doubt it's that.
When does it smoke? If it's just after it's been idling then you get a puff on pull away, it's normally valve guides.

Tbh we could have this back together in a day. There is sod all to this kinder egg present engine Wink
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
how much would a replacement unit cost?? Cant take long to swap motors?

Be quicker and simpler and possibly cheaper??
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
James these have a reputation of burning oil I think so you may pick up a new engine only for the same thing to happen 100 miles down the road
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(19-07-2014, 09:16 PM)Niall Wrote: I'll help down south....giggidy

Your garage is talking a bit of rubbish though. There is only 3 reasons for oil entering the bores:
Worn piston oil control rings
Leaking valve guide seals
Cracked head or block

The last would be the only one to need a new engine and I highly highly doubt it's that.
When does it smoke? If it's just after it's been idling then you get a puff on pull away, it's normally valve guides.

Tbh we could have this back together in a day. There is sod all to this kinder egg present engine Wink

It smokes mostly if I rev it while it not moving. Drops alot of oil out the back with no smoke if its left idleing for a while...hardly ever smokes while im actually driving

(19-07-2014, 09:09 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: I'm sure if you make lots of bacon and tea I can drive over and throw abuse at Steve while pretending to help? Tongue

Course I'll help, do it down South lol

Haha sweet man thanks. Will probably call u up on that and can defo provide the refreshments for ur trouble Smile

(19-07-2014, 09:20 PM)Niall Wrote: James these have a reputation of burning oil I think so you may pick up a new engine only for the same thing to happen 100 miles down the road

Yeh. On the one hand it would be easier and cheaper to just bang in a new engine...but as u say...might end up with exact same problem..or even something worse
French Wench
Thanks given by:
get a dry leakage test done followed by a wet leakage test that will tell if its rings
then whip the plugs out and look at the state of the bores with a boreoscope

no point trying to doit all in a day with scored bores as it will need a rebore/pistons/rings
Thanks given by:
I know they have a rep for it...but most do just swap them out. Find one from a reputable source, low mileage car. May even get lucky with a unit with 6months guarantee
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
No luck finding one, anyone think that another engine flush or two and running the car on diesel engine oil might help clear out the what are apparently gunked up piston rings? Since this what diahatsu drivers seem to be saying is the main source of the problem
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
The car surely isn't worth the money/effort?

I could understand if it was something desirable but it's like a peg down from a Nissan Micra? Just replace the car?!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Do it down here mate, we'll have it sorted in no time. Plan to spend two weeks, should be plenty of time to account for everything. We've got all the tools required short of a compression tester, and i want an excuse to buy one of those anyway lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I say stem seals.

My 2.6 vectra b puffs oil when you rev it but it never seems to use much oil on the dipstick level. It definitely is stem seals on my car Tongue
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
The Cuore has a rep for needing piston rings giving the symptoms you have so that would be a good guess.

It can technically be repaired with the engine still in the car but its far easier out and it is kinda a full rebuild job.

Personally I'd get a new lump off ebay (only £100) and strip it get the bores honed (niall and piggy both have hones IIRC) then fit new rings (about £80) and rebuild it with a new cam belt water pump and fluids (about £150 at a guess) also you can do the valve stem il seals while your at it, they are only a couple of quid each and theres only 12 of them.

Its probably 1 day to strip the engine, 1 day to rebuild it and then 1 day to fit it .

I am happy to help any day I'm off work if im fed and filled with the and cake.
Thanks given by:
I'm more than happy to help if I'm not working Smile

Having seen the issue I'd say it's definitely rings. Stem seals/valve guides tend to let the oil into the cylinder overnight causing a smoky start, this is worse when its revved.

I'd still try pouring a strong solvent into the bores through the spark plug holes and leaving it a couple of days.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Carb cleaner works a treat if you can get it in the non spray form, put the spark plug back in as well to retain the solvent in the bore for longer
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(20-07-2014, 09:03 AM)toseland Wrote: Carb cleaner works a treat if you can get it in the non spray form, put the spark plug back in as well to retain the solvent in the bore for longer
Yeah that's a good shout, would burn off easily too. I was thinking something like paraffin that would dilute and disperse the oil.
Thanks given by:
We have lots of STP injector cleaner about (thanks fcs lol ) would that be near enough to try or will it not evaporate or whatever?

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Carb cleaner would be ideal. Like Toseland said, get it in there and put the plugs back in. Just do not start it like this! Leave it over night, whip the plugs out and turn it over a few times to get everything out of the bores then get the plugs back in.
That said, i think thats only going to be a temporary fix. The damage will already have been done and if its valve guide seals, doing above won't make a blind bit of difference.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I'm certain its the oil control rings to be honest, caked with nasty oil.
Thanks given by:
(19-07-2014, 10:38 PM)Poodle Wrote: Do it down here mate, we'll have it sorted in no time. Plan to spend two weeks, should be plenty of time to account for everything. We've got all the tools required short of a compression tester, and i want an excuse to buy one of those anyway lol.

^this. We'll rip it apart in no time and then it'll be fairly obvious what the issue is, parts might take a few days to get hold of but as Alex says, allow 2 weeks and all should be fine Big Grin
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I have see a full one of these for £180

In Coventry I can post the link if it's any use
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
I agree with you Liam, no way it's valve stems... got to be rings that are the culprit here!

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Yea man can you post up a link ?

Reading up on freeing sticking piston rings people are suggesting using automatic transmission fluid and pouring that down the bores then leaving for a few days. thoughts?

If its the rings being dirty rather than broken what are the hopes that cleaning can bring it back

Thanks given by:
Can't seem to find it now :/

Quick eBay search fetches up this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321362067712

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(20-07-2014, 07:35 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Yea man can you post up a link ?

Reading up on freeing sticking piston rings people are suggesting using automatic transmission fluid and pouring that down the bores then leaving for a few days. thoughts?

If its the rings being dirty rather than broken what are the hopes that cleaning can bring it back

Wouldn't use ATF mate, that shit won't even burn in an XUD, you'd just be adding to the caked on mess. It needs a strong solvent to dilute and dissolve the caked-on oil. Even petrol would be better...
Thanks given by:
Gotta say I dont think a cheap fix will last any length of time.
Thanks given by:
I'm well up for giving a hand! Also have a bore hone. A re ring and a set of stem seals will sort it out bear in mind it will need 500 to 1000 miles to bed the rings in to notice if its sorted it. Or you could take it to your local friendly lenient MOT man.

The oil additive stop smoke really does work. Used it on all sorts. Google liquid rebuild
Thanks given by:
Xud's do burn ATF fluid Wink

I'd just keep topping oil up and get a new lump

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(20-07-2014, 08:11 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Gotta say I dont think a cheap fix will last any length of time.

have to agree with him. Poor a shit load of petrol down there and it will just dilute the oil and not do the bores any good.
There is only one repair for this and its to have the thing in pieces and replace the rings and/or stem seals.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  days when it all hangs together Magenta Sunset 5 1,329 21-04-2016, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  one of them days Stef205 6 1,576 23-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Last Post: welshpug
  the day of days is here daddyfixit 8 1,599 06-03-2015, 03:42 PM
Last Post: silverzx