To saloon or not to saloon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To saloon or not to saloon
Ive been offerd a good condition saloon phase 2 xud9 which needs rear brakes and a exhaust for test. Its £150. Anyone have a saloon. Like them dislike. Pros cons. Break not to break. What woul you guys do. Ps it has WORKING air con. [Image: e3y3upyj.jpg]
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Turbo or straight d?

If its a turbo yes
Thanks given by:
Slam it, wide wheels, epic boost.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Terrible boot yes Ok for long flat things but anything tall your stuffed.

Thanks given by:
^^ the sedan boots are huge compared to the cabriolet boots. You'll never complain about boot space again if you've owned a cabby.
Thanks given by:
Its a turbo wouldnt entertain the idea of a nad. I only really carry tools in my boot sometimes and buggy. Does the boot ruin the handling? Used to have an estate and hated it!!
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
Estate handles better! More weight over the beam stops the rears skipping over rough corners I found. None of the hatches have felt as planted. Sad

Wouldn't bother breaking it tbh, cant see much value it in. Up to you though really!
Thanks given by:
Or I could keep it and sell mine fix this one. Basically earn money from changing car
Thanks given by:
As Tom says, i think the estate handles better than the hatchback! I'd have a sedan in a heartbeat, especially for that kind of money! If you don't want it, i'll have it, and get shot of the 'state. lol

EDIT: Oh, and working air con?! I call BS. lmao
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Anyone on here actually own one then? I hated the estate. But I sort of have a soft spot for this. Ive decided to buy but still not sure what to do with it. Also I called bs on working aircon till I turned up and switched it on. Cool as a cucumber. Turns out the women just got fed up of it when it failed. No rear arch rot either. Might just sell mine
Thanks given by:
The estate handles better than the hatch and the sedan is stiffer still due to the smaller boot opening, small aperture between boot and passenger compartment and bonded rear screen.

I've had a couple of sedans and loved them but handling wise I still prefer the estate as the estate just feels heavier at the back and more weight means more weight transfer for LO-OS and the passive rear wheel steering.
Thanks given by:
I'll have the engine and box as I said tom! much easier having an xud9 than a 7 doing head work!
Thanks given by:
you might have the engine and box out of my current motor if i decide i want his one. Wink all depends on how i feel when i pick it up
Anyone know if a standard five door interior will fit this as well as i would like to leather it up
Thanks given by:
I think the rear seat upper clips are different between phases
Thanks given by:
My brother used to have one before Dum-Dum bought it and 2.1 converted it, then sold it to Zakk who slightly crashed it..

I miss that car Sad
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
wait.. passive rear wheel steering?

i have rear wheel drive
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2014, 10:12 PM)toseland Wrote: wait.. passive rear wheel steering?

i have rear wheel drive

More rear wheel steer, try giving it some into a corner then lifting off the power see what happens.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:

i have rear wheel drive
No not rear wheel drive, rear wheel steering.

Because of the camber and to of the rear beam and the way the arms rotate around the beam tube the suspension geometry changes with the weight transfer of the car causing it to toe in/out more/less with weight transfer giving very slight rear wheel steering.

If you back off the throttle just a little mid corner (but so you are still accelerating ie not letting the engine braking start and causing lo-os) and hold the steering steady you can feel the car tighten its line because of the rear wheels turning in.

I'm sure rippthrough or someone will be along shortly to explain it 100x better than that.
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2014, 09:15 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I think the rear seat upper clips are different between phases

Im sure I can fanagle something then as I already have a 3 door interior in my current 5 door cant be that hard.

(10-07-2014, 03:36 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote:

i have rear wheel drive
No not rear wheel drive, rear wheel steering.

Because of the camber and to of the rear beam and the way the arms rotate around the beam tube the suspension geometry changes with the weight transfer of the car causing it to toe in/out more/less with weight transfer giving very slight rear wheel steering.

If you back off the throttle just a little mid corner (but so you are still accelerating ie not letting the engine braking start and causing lo-os) and hold the steering steady you can feel the car tighten its line because of the rear wheels turning in.

I'm sure rippthrough or someone will be along shortly to explain it 100x better than that.

Wow. You learn something new everyday. I genuinely did not know this and I love these motors!!
Thanks given by:
Pretty sure its more to do with the rubber beam mounts flexing as you corner tbh....that's the idea of solid ones to reduce it! Confused

Personally I don't like it, always feels like the back ends gonna let go on long sweeping bends!
Thanks given by:
That's why you keep it pinned tom Wink
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Oh, I do....just don't like feeling it gives lol, cars with proper rear suspension just feel so much more planted in the same corners! I was amazed how far the 107 could be pushed on 155 wide tyres!! lol
Thanks given by:
Get it! Huge spoiler on boot phase 1 it look.sweet
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
Have to admit I quite like the look of the saloon.
Thanks given by:
Right ive bought it and it will be replacing current motor! 31 quid extra to insure for the year with mods declared. Should be picking it up soon. Means engine and box out of mine is gone. Anyone want anything off my old shell? Im thinking lower it speedlines rear axle sorted then jobs a gooden. Intresting to see how this pans out

(10-07-2014, 08:12 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh, I do....just don't like feeling it gives lol, cars with proper rear suspension just feel so much more planted in the same corners! I was amazed how far the 107 could be pushed on 155 wide tyres!! lol

Also 107s do handle quite well although ive always liked the 306 feeling of will it wont it through the corners.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  406 V6 Saloon? THE_Liam 30 3,942 12-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Last Post: THE_Liam