Newer Diesels...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newer Diesels...
Regardless, you seem to have ignored the main content of that post?!
Thanks given by:
Lol, having some issues cutting the quote on the phone. Tongue

You've added some criteria in there lol, I don't want handling, just grip, in fact the worse handling the better as it's more likely to have a comfortable ride...Vectra for example lol! And doesn't everyone want value for money? I have had to add some criteria that I wasn't expecting before, things like the comfortable ride, and sensible overtaking power (not that I think ~12s to 60 should be difficult anyway!).

But main criteria is:

£30 tax (or less)
60mpg avg book figure (or more)
Ride comfort
Sensible power (going on around 12s to 60 book figure, same as std HDi)
Some spec, particularly for future longer journeys (air con is a must)
Reliability (as few major common faults as possible)
Distance - MUST be within my travelling distance, which is roughly sod all currently which is causing the most issues here

While I like 5 doors and a load of spec, I'm already compromising on that. I don't need space either, though it seems I need a slightly larger car for the ride comfort.

I know the car I need doesn't exist...and the ones that do are always slightly too far away or slightly above budget. But that's ALWAYS the same, and I always end up massively compromising which is probably the reason I end up buying shitters and get quickly bored of them for whatever reason (usually a reason that I'd already expected to be an issue but compromised on, 3dr's is the one that springs to mind, probably would still have the silver Golf now if it'd had enough doors to be useful at the time).

I seem to be royally arse f*cked from every angle atm, with not coping at home, struggling with going out and car problems as well.... I know somethings gotta give...just get the feeling it's gonna be my sanity before anything else lol.
Thanks given by:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable, Comfortable.

Pick 2.
Thanks given by:
You need some rich lady garden to give you a job, drop you right in the deep end.

And btw Tom, you're a gem.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
This is completely off topic, Tom, but how did you end up in a 306 in the first place?!
Thanks given by:
Just get a diesel 190. Comfort, economy, tough, simple, and bitches will be swinging from your dick like Bradford folk on giro day.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2014, 12:37 PM)DarkInferno Wrote: Cheap, Fast, Reliable, Comfortable.

Pick 2.

Reliable and comfortable. Wink I'm not looking for cheap, I've got what I thought was a reasonable budget tbh. As for fast, not bothered, just after enough power for safe overtakes which is something I do 2 or 3 times every drive living at the end of a B road...

(15-07-2014, 12:43 PM)Tom Wrote: You need some rich lady garden to give you a job, drop you right in the deep end.

And btw Tom, you're a gem.

Yep, I do....as long as they provide close accommodation (not shared with inconsiderate buggers!) I'd be straight there! Wink Piggy's job would be ideal for me lol...

Alernative is to get some rich lady garden to adopt me lol... lol

(15-07-2014, 12:46 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: This is completely off topic, Tom, but how did you end up in a 306 in the first place?!

I got a bad case of PMA (positive mental attitude) around February...led to lots of plans, which started with good intentions and were quickly ruined by situation changing out of my control here, as usual...

(15-07-2014, 03:00 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Just get a diesel 190. Comfort, economy, tough, simple, and bitches will be swinging from your dick like Bradford folk on giro day.

Well that sounds both disgusting and painful. Confused

There is actually an old 190 near me lol, £300....big petrol though. Tongue
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2014, 03:14 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I got a bad case of PMA (positive mental attitude) around February...led to lots of plans, which started with good intentions and were quickly ruined by situation changing out of my control here, as usual...

I meant when you first got one, when you passed your test & set out looking for your first car.. what made you think a 306 was the right car?

Just interested thats all Smile
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2014, 03:17 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:
(15-07-2014, 03:14 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I got a bad case of PMA (positive mental attitude) around February...led to lots of plans, which started with good intentions and were quickly ruined by situation changing out of my control here, as usual...

I meant when you first got one, when you passed your test & set out looking for your first car.. what made you think a 306 was the right car?

Just interested thats all Smile

Oh I see. Actually bought it before I passed my test. May 19th 2009.

My neighbour had one lol, and I learnt to drive in a Peugeot (albeit a 206 1.4 HDi eco though, put me off diesels lol). They were the cheap and plentiful at the time, and 1.4 was cheaper to insure than a fiesta 1.25 or 106 1.1.

There was a really nice china Meridian locally....missed out on it, ended up compromising and going for a pov spec ph2 diablo instead, the only car I viewed, didn't even test drive it... When I got my 18th b'day money, bought a Meridian asap lol, but still diablo, headgasket failed and popped the rad hose 2 weeks later, right outside college and caused me to jump from the car and have a panic attack in full view of everyone around college. That fucker was the start of the distance issues... Then went on to buy a china Meridian (and wished I had first time round!) as it took me further than before, but then I shat myself at Chelmsford services, and then the gearbox gave up a month later. Replaced it but shortly after I was racing home from town with bad guts and the rear shoe broke and locked the drum solid about 8 miles from home. Called the RAC but before theyd even turned up had to call my Granadad to take me back to his for the loo...

The memories I have of 306's really aren't great now I think of it! Confused Think I just like the familiarity of them though? Don't like change lol.
Thanks given by:
Just get a china hdi... seriously. you know the engine and things. Theyre cheap, pretty reliable, cheap to repair, stage 1 map is good. You cant have everything tom. that car just doesnt exist!
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2014, 04:38 PM)SRowell Wrote: Just get a china hdi... seriously. you know the engine and things. Theyre cheap, pretty reliable, cheap to repair, stage 1 map is good. You cant have everything tom. that car just doesnt exist!

I don't think the colour is the reason he wants rid of his current one? His HDI he has now seems sorted, but as he's already said - it doesn't suit his needs..
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2014, 04:45 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:
(15-07-2014, 04:38 PM)SRowell Wrote: Just get a china hdi... seriously. you know the engine and things. Theyre cheap, pretty reliable, cheap to repair, stage 1 map is good. You cant have everything tom. that car just doesnt exist!

I don't think the colour is the reason he wants rid of his current one? His HDI he has now seems sorted, but as he's already said - it doesn't suit his needs..

Toms needs are to get a job and move out. Not to keep buying car after car. :/ Sorry man but i would be concentrating on other things than the car.
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2014, 05:38 PM)SRowell Wrote:
(15-07-2014, 04:45 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:

Toms needs are to get a job and move out. Not to keep buying car after car. :/ Sorry man but i would be concentrating on other things than the car.

I still think Campervan.

Your house is on wheels, you're always at home, it's got a built in shitter, you can't complain you have to travel far to the shops because you'll always be at home.

Smile
Thanks given by:
Getting a job and moving out isn't happening while I can barely drive to town lol...

Campervan is a good idea but not exactly practical for every day use though, shite mpg and town parking would be a mission. However a caravan would work well for longer trips and there have been a few cheap ones about....just no space to store it when it's not being used though. Sad
Thanks given by:
You could get a cheap one, have a few weekends away to help your situation, working to get further & further.. I think it'd be win win...
Thanks given by:
It's not gonna happen tbh, not while I'm here anyway. I wont try explaining why lol.
Thanks given by:
Well, i can see this thread getting out of hand sooner or later..

Toms... your only chance of finding a car you like is to go and drive some, unfortunately. you have single handedly argued the point with almost every single bit of advice in this thread.. if someone suggests a car, you disagree, if someone suggests an engine, you find fault etc..

might be worth just saving a little time and not posting next time?
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Lol, I've got time to burn in the evenings anyway. Tongue

I had hoped there would be something pop up in this thread that I hadn't thought of....I've already done my own research, and checking Ebay/AT/Gumtree everyday which is why I'm not interested in the cars themselves, I can see those. Was more after engine reliability and real life experiences, which there has been some useful posts if you can look past the crap lol.

Realistically, I will hate anything on a test drive, purely because of the state I get in just getting to town before even starting one, so the only thing it'll show me is my poor driving skills in those circumstances lol. Don't forget, I DID test drive a 107...and I cant remember anything about it tbh! I certainly don't remember the ride being anywhere near as bad.

Think I'm gonna give up with the search though tbh, it's not going anywhere now lol.
Thanks given by:
sure one of the guys (or girls) on here would be more than happy to go look over a car for you if you ask, or see something you like and give you a "yes its a keeper or run the f**K away" sort of thing
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Tom, out of all the cars you've considered.. what would you actually be prepared to go and look at & buy if you liked? I'm interested as you've dismissed 99% of suggestions.

I think 207 was one of them?

Being realistic, you've discounted a few cars purely because they aren't under £30 a year tax, is that REALLY a major factor? I didn't even think about the price of tax on the BM when I purchased it, especially with the October rule change so it'll be a case of a few pounds difference per month.
Thanks given by:
I think that Avensis was the best choice you've made. Comfortable, reliable, economical and cheap. And don't tell me it wasn't economical, 30mpg+ is economical.
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2014, 03:51 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: don't tell me it wasn't economical, 30mpg+ is economical.

See I don't agree with you on that one Liam, you may think it is but considering in my case I do 22-25k a year, my 320D that does over 60mpg real time is what I call economical, I wouldn't run a 30mpg car, my E46 did 36mpg real time & it was sold because it was costing too much to run.

In this day & age a 30mpg car with the specs the avensis had (a slow barge, not a 2 seater convertible) is certainly not considered economical.

Personally, 45mpg+ I'd consider economical..
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2014, 03:51 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Tom, out of all the cars you've considered.. what would you actually be prepared to go and look at & buy if you liked? I'm interested as you've dismissed 99% of suggestions.

I think 207 was one of them?

Being realistic, you've discounted a few cars purely because they aren't under £30 a year tax, is that REALLY a major factor? I didn't even think about the price of tax on the BM when I purchased it, especially with the October rule change so it'll be a case of a few pounds difference per month.

Tbh, nothing atm, I've failed at getting to town 3 times this week and it's really frustrated me if I'm honest, which is why I'm tempted to just give up looking, as I don't see the point when I can't seem to get out anyway. Though that is partly to do with the car, and partly to do with circumstances here which I know will change slightly in September (so need to sort something soon to make the most of the 'break' that I should get).

I was going to go view that 207 yesterday (didn't happen), but it's sold now so that decisions been made lol. I've got to go out for food tomorrow though, so with any luck I'll be able to have a quick run round some of the dealers that are near the supermarket, but I can't see that happening after this week so far.

I haven't actually discounted any purely because of the tax, I can see the 'value' in going for something that's £500 cheaper but £80 more in tax per year. I wouldn't go higher than the £130 tax band though, the Golf was only £115 3 years ago but they seem to add a fiver every year! But obviously MPG tends to go with the lower tax brackets as well, which IS a major factor. The HDi burnt £20 last week, about 130 miles in the 2 days that I was able to get out and look round dealers/shopping/go to Nans etc. And I can really only afford to spend a tenner a week on fuel atm unless I dip into the savings which I'm having to do more and just feels like it's wasted. Part of the problem here is that I'm trying to guess what my circumstances will be in the next few months/years which is obviously impossible! Dodgy

(16-07-2014, 03:51 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: I think that Avensis was the best choice you've made. Comfortable, reliable, economical and cheap. And don't tell me it wasn't economical, 30mpg+ is economical.

Lol, it was actually 'economical' for what it was, 45mpg average...not sure how when a 1.8 306 only manages 35mpg average but that's what it did lol. But 30mpg is NOT economical at all lol, I'll be scraping it on 60mpg tbh! At 30MPG it'd cost £6.07 for the round trip to Tesco! You have to realise I don't sponge off the government, despite being unable to work.

It is annoying that to get 'better' I will have to spend money on fuel, but I can't afford to spend money on fuel until I am 'better' and able to work. Same catch 22 I've been in for a few years now, with no way out that I can see which is why I've gotta make a move now really. Only way it's gonna happen is if I do 'waste' some money on fuel in the hope that it does work in the long run and I'll eventually make that money back again.
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2014, 03:54 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:
(16-07-2014, 03:51 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: don't tell me it wasn't economical, 30mpg+ is economical.

See I don't agree with you on that one Liam, you may think it is but considering in my case I do 22-25k a year, my 320D that does over 60mpg real time is what I call economical, I wouldn't run a 30mpg car, my E46 did 36mpg real time & it was sold because it was costing too much to run.

In this day & age a 30mpg car with the specs the avensis had (a slow barge, not a 2 seater convertible) is certainly not considered economical.

Personally, 45mpg+ I'd consider economical..
You're welcome to your opinion mate but a Range Rover that does 15mpg, now that's thirsty, but if you can average 30mpg, you have a relatively economical car. I've never driven anything that actually sees 60mpg aside from a Seat Arosa TDI my ex drove. Insignia CDTi did 36mpg mixed driving, Focus 1.6 did 31mpg, Focus TDCi 1.6 did 42mpg, the book figures are total bollocks in my opinion. If a car can average 60mpg, fair play, but that's mega economical, if a car can get say 40mpg on a run, 28mpg in town and average about 30mpg that's never going to break the bank. Hell, people say XUDs are economical, and I've always struggled to average 40mpg, not that I care. I usually got about 33mpg...

Oh well, mine is mega economical with depreciation taken into account. Sorry, I meant appreciation Tongue
Thanks given by:
Just find a low mileage looked after ph2 xud with a bosch. Leave it all well alone, keep it standard and service it.
If it has kept its arch liners, and been looked after, it wont rust.
Standard seats in a number of specs are super comfy...others like 406 armchairs can be fitted. It grips, does decent MPG and could run it on veg to make up the MPG and tax difference. Also cheap to insure and no worries if someone dings it etc.

I spotted one the other day for under a grand, was basically mint condition, std other than bosch pump conversion and cyclones replaced the original steels. and it had done 80 something thousand miles, with full dealership service histroy.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
:facepalm:
Thanks given by:
Piggy hasn't read the thread. lol.
Thanks given by:
I have....and tbh its a bit frustrating...

every good suggestion someone comes up with, you rip apart Tom. There is no perfect car for you buddy, unless you have 15grand perhaps. But then why would you buy something cheap if you had that money.

You want cheap to run, comfy, reliable, practical and with a bit of performance..... my suggestion ticks all those boxes. We all know it, you know it.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't buy a 306 if I wanted cheap tax and comfort!
Thanks given by:
I've owned more 306s than most on here, I know full well they are NOT the car I'm looking for lol. Only thing I'd come back for now is a '6 for weekends if I suddenly came into money, but that'll never happen lol.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should we be concerned about our diesels bashbarnard 65 14,575 15-05-2017, 09:10 AM
Last Post: r3k1355
  Diesels in london lolsteve 57 18,257 10-05-2017, 06:22 AM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  ByeBye Diesels lolsteve 109 27,216 14-04-2017, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Piggy