Newer Diesels...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newer Diesels...
(07-07-2014, 04:57 PM)Niall Wrote:
(07-07-2014, 04:50 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:
(07-07-2014, 04:30 PM)Niall Wrote: i wouldn't be worried about what colour it is or what interior it has.

This is why I drive a purple beemer with grey cloth.

Drives nice.

Yours is an exception with that interior. I would of carried on looking for a purple one with a black interior lol

It's in the process of being changed :p
Thanks given by:
Niall, thanks for the essay. Smile

I do agree with you on a lot of points, but there are certain aspects I just cannot do. You say about not relying on a car, and I totally understand that unless you've been in the situation, you wont be able to understand this, but that's something I can't do. If there is any doubt in my mind about something failing and causing a breakdown, it's magnified massively by the OCD, which then becomes a constant intrusive thought while driving...one of them is fine and can be ignored with a bit of effort, but when you get loads, it's just not possible to ignore, just end's up in constant panic and complete lack of concentration (ideal while on the road!) and that panic then triggers the IBS and it all ends in a horrible mess (literally...). May seem ridiculous but that's why I can often do longer journeys immediately after buying a car, but not again a short while later.

Now I KNOW it's my problem rather than the car's, but the only way to work through it is to go out more, which I currently can't afford to do! However unless I can go out more, I'll never be able to get a job to pay for going out more. lol It's got a lot worse over the last year tbh when I reduced going out to an absolute minimum. I do appear to end up in these stupid rock and hard place situations fairly often lol.

But the rest of your post I do mainly agree with. I suck at viewing cars, as frankly I just want to be out of the situation asap, I also cant test drive private sale cars because the insurers don't allow DOCs at my age which makes things even harder.

I really do need to go to some dealers and find the balls to ask to test drive though if I'm going to be changing car.

(07-07-2014, 04:50 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:
(07-07-2014, 04:30 PM)Niall Wrote: i wouldn't be worried about what colour it is or what interior it has.

This is why I drive a purple beemer with grey cloth.

Drives nice.

Lol, I might join you in the purple beemer club...just thinking how cool I'd look in this. Cool lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-BMW-Z4-3-...3f38c7768d

(07-07-2014, 04:53 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Can't anyone off here go to look at cars with you Tom? I would but your a jillion miles away...

Everyones a jillion miles away tbh. lol And due to home situation I only have a very narrow window where I can go out which is the time most people will be at work anyway.
Thanks given by:
Tom i do understand your situation and the issue with having to trust the car. I was in a similar (albeit not as severe) situation when my car shat its big end. I also understand that due to your OCD etc, its even worse but unfortunately your going to have to come to terms with the fact that a car can not be relied on. If its done 1 mile or 1 million miles, if it cost 5k or 500k new, its still not going to be 100% reliable. Like i say, anything that is mechanical WILL wear out. Thats just a characteristic of all things mechanical no matter how well made they are Sad

Sorry to say it mate but the sooner you come to terms with this, the better it will be for you. I know its not easy to just do like that but you will have to.
Also like i said, regular preventive maintenance will help prevent breakdowns (not not eliminate as obviously you can't check everything!)
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Seriously, get something simpler that isn't going to have much to break. That 106 diesel you had would have been perfect!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(07-07-2014, 05:23 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Seriously, get something simpler that isn't going to have much to break. That 106 diesel you had would have been perfect!

This. This is why a XUD 306 would be ideal. You know them well and the XUD is as basic as it gets. Only reason why they fail so often on here is because people chuck silly boost through them or veg oil
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
[/quote]

Everyones a jillion miles away tbh. lol And due to home situation I only have a very narrow window where I can go out which is the time most people will be at work anyway.
[/quote]

164 mile drive for me to get home next Monday lol
Thanks given by:
(07-07-2014, 05:27 PM)Niall Wrote:
(07-07-2014, 05:23 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Seriously, get something simpler that isn't going to have much to break. That 106 diesel you had would have been perfect!

This. This is why a XUD 306 would be ideal. You know them well and the XUD is as basic as it gets. Only reason why they fail so often on here is because people chuck silly boost through them or veg oil

lots of people on here talk about those failures..

compared to the thousands on the road running around standards with 1/4 of a million miles or more on them,
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:

True dat, they will have problems, but won't leave you stranded unless you wreck the battery.

The *ONLY* time I've managed to be stranded in my 8 years of driving is by the volvo... But just had to wait and it fixed itself lol, my 306 actually never ONCE let me down!!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Once my pug let me down fully, when the clutch disintegrated, literally took gearbox off and was NOTHING left lol.
Drove about 2 miles home when timing belt jumped 3 teeth aswell
Thanks given by:
It's not going to be an XUD. As much for having to have a ph2 with a knackered beam, loom issues and a rusty rear arch as having to have the engine that by now has often been ruined by previous owners, we all know Id manage to find one with a blown headgasket at the least. I know you'll say engines are cheap but as said before I don't have the time or space to do car stuff now. Interestingly, the 2 XUDs that I thought about buying off here a few months back are now both dead! lol

The 'new' car is being collected today so maybe I'll get a chance to go and look at some others this afternoon.

Also, Ruan, didn't you lose a half a turbo trying to overtake a Micra? Or did you just drive on after that, a bit down on power lol? lol

And as we're listing breakdowns -

1.4 306 (less than 9 y/o, 65k miles, full service history) - blown headgasket, caused bottom rad hose to explode outside college - had to be recovered home.
Another 1.4 306 - brake shoe fell apart locking drum solid - had to be recovered.
Golf PD - turbo popped, loads of smoke, filling the cabin from the leaky decat - pulled over to let it cool, drove it 10 miles home, used a couple of litres of oil lol
Golf PD - lifter failed on my driveway, drove it half a mile but obviously didn't get better so drove it back again
Vectra - snapped spring coming off my drive, carried on as I thought the clunk was a rusty brake, tore a gouge out of the tyre, drove a couples back home

I've been kinda lucky that the last 3 we're able to be driven home, and happened so close to home...dread to think what would've happened if I was further away, if the Vec spring had snapped at 70 the tyre would've ripped through within seconds! Confused
Thanks given by:
I still think you buy shite, never known anyone have so much trouble with cars as you.
Thanks given by:
buy one off here that all the work has been done

your problem is youre not willling to spend a little over odds for a car that has been well cared for but yet want reliability, its either one or the other.

ill be the first man to admit i buy shite, but part of the fun is not knowing if itll start in the morning Big Grin
Thanks given by:
you dont pay "over the odds" for a car that has been well cared for.. you pay what is due..

you pay dirt cheap prices for piles of shite tbh

when i bought my vitara i payed next to nothing for it because i knew it had issues, and was prepared to work on them (brake m/c, calipers, head gasket, now i think a cracked head too, and some-lots-of bodywork rust)
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(08-07-2014, 08:52 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: I still think you buy shite, never known anyone have so much trouble with cars as you.

I'm just unlucky tbh, it's not just cars, but seeing as this is a car forum that's what I tend to moan about on here. lol

I don't have the choice that most people do either, due to distance, insurance etc. And the same thing happens every single time - I umm and arr about a really good car for so long it's gone by the time I decide to go for it....so then I just jump on the next one that's probably only half as good in case I miss it! Rolleyes Stupid thing is, I know I keep doing the same thing...so why do I keep doing it! Confused

(08-07-2014, 09:07 AM)sweeney1987 Wrote: ill be the first man to admit i buy shite, but part of the fun is not knowing if itll start in the morning Big Grin

Not my idea of fun! lol

(08-07-2014, 10:15 AM)toseland Wrote: you dont pay "over the odds" for a car that has been well cared for.. you pay what is due..

you pay dirt cheap prices for piles of shite tbh

when i bought my vitara i payed next to nothing for it because i knew it had issues, and was prepared to work on them (brake m/c, calipers, head gasket, now i think a cracked head too, and some-lots-of bodywork rust)

I have previously bought cars needing work, in fact my current HDi I bought with a snapped cambelt, 206 I bought knowing it was a non-starter etc, but I just don't have the option to do that now. I also don't have any confidence in my own work, despite having it all checked over at the garage anyway lol.
Thanks given by:
Its all about service history mate. My Merc is ancient and has 130k on it, but has every service stamp from new, all MB dealers, all genuine parts. Its had no expense spared, and so in 6k miles its cost me £40 to have the faulty tape deck repaired and serviced. That's it.
Thanks given by:
(08-07-2014, 12:26 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Its all about service history mate. My Merc is ancient and has 130k on it, but has every service stamp from new, all MB dealers, all genuine parts. Its had no expense spared, and so in 6k miles its cost me £40 to have the faulty tape deck repaired and serviced. That's it.

This.

My BM has 8 BMW dealer stamps, I've covered now just shy of 4k in it & I've had to have two punctures repaired because I drove over something. Apart from that it's been just add fuel.

Thing is Tom, you're too picky. That 107 for example, if it had been as advertised I'm sure would have been fine for you, you moaned that it made you feel sick.. you may well have gotten used to it.

I still prefer the way the Vectra handled over the E90, I've never been a huge fan of RWD.. but I'm used to the BMW now and have learnt how to drive and control it correctly..

I'm interested to see what you do buy, but I'm not looking forward to the 3 months of moaning at why you don't like it afterwards.

I absolutely adored my vectra for the nearly 2 years I had it & you knew that, but I'm sure if I leant it to you, you would have found fault with it. It's a case of making the best of what you've got.

Have you looked at something like a Mazda 3? They are supposedly underrated.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...?logcode=p

What's wrong with that? James May has one..
Thanks given by:
Most of my cars have had full service history lol, it means absolutely nothing!

Diablo 1.4 which popped the HG at 65k was full Pug history.
China 1.4 that ate gearboxes and broke the brake shoe was full history but not all Pug
Both Golfs had full VW history
Vectra had full history, but not all Vaux

The 1st 1.8 306 had absolutely no history at all and was mint bar the dodgy ICV! (And the stupid mpg that they do lol)

I've always gone for cars with as much history as possible, and as many large items replaced as possible when looking for a 'keeper' rather than a stop gap....still doesn't seem to make a difference lol.

(08-07-2014, 12:33 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: I'm interested to see what you do buy, but I'm not looking forward to the 3 months of moaning at why you don't like it afterwards.

Better prepare for that. Wink I think we both know it will end up that way. lol
Thanks given by:
Just to update this, I'm rubbish at making decisions. lol

Was quite interested in a 207 GT 1.6HDi 110 that's fairly local....but it's a year too old for the £30 tax so is £110 tax which is annoying, but not the end of the world. But the avg mpg figure is only 56mpg...how can that even be possible with newer tech, lower CC and a VNT turbo!? Confused 306 HDi is 54mpg avg on the same database.

I have also found a 207 S (pov spec Sad ) with a 1.6HDi 92 (not the older 90). This is £20 tax and an avg mpg figure of 67mpg!!

How can the same engine be so different? Of course I don't expect to get that MPG, but its useful to compare them. I'm struggling to find any info on the 92ps variant, and was wondering if anyone on here knows what makes it so much more efficient?

Also, are the figures done with extra load on the engine (AC on for example?) that might make the better specced one seem less efficient? Just cant get my head around how the same engine in the same car with just a different map (I assume) can vary so much. Dodgy
Thanks given by:
(14-07-2014, 10:41 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Just to update this, I'm rubbish at making decisions. lol

Was quite interested in a 207 GT 1.6HDi 110 that's fairly local....but it's a year too old for the £30 tax so is £110 tax which is annoying, but not the end of the world. But the avg mpg figure is only 56mpg...how can that even be possible with newer tech, lower CC and a VNT turbo!? Confused 306 HDi is 54mpg avg on the same database.

I have also found a 207 S (pov spec Sad ) with a 1.6HDi 92 (not the older 90). This is £20 tax and an avg mpg figure of 67mpg!!

How can the same engine be so different? Of course I don't expect to get that MPG, but its useful to compare them. I'm struggling to find any info on the 92ps variant, and was wondering if anyone on here knows what makes it so much more efficient?

Also, are the figures done with extra load on the engine (AC on for example?) that might make the better specced one seem less efficient? Just cant get my head around how the same engine in the same car with just a different map (I assume) can vary so much. Dodgy

DPF.

The older 1.6 110 has a DPF, the newer 1.6 92 also has one, but much later generation.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
You need small Japanese petrol if you really want trust in a car.

Colt or Similar. The 1.1 colt does amazing mpg, sounds ace and is fun to drive. +jap reliability. Same with civic 1.4vtec....micra 1.0/1.3...list is good for choice.

That being said we did 50k miles in my ph1 xud turd on stg1 tune and veg. Only thing that it let me down on was starter relay....after being driven through a lake by the mrs...and clutch, due to me spilling a lot of veg over the bell housing.
So without those two issues...it was faultless tbh
Plus comfy and practical. Rust free too. And fun. And cheap to insure and buy service bits for (£27 all in for full service bits)

Why do people get SO caught up in this cheaper tax bracket thing and compromise on car choice....spread over the year its nothing. Its like people who buy a car to pull a caravan for just one holiday a year. Mad.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(08-07-2014, 06:15 AM)Ruan Wrote:

True dat, they will have problems, but won't leave you stranded unless you wreck the battery.

The *ONLY* time I've managed to be stranded in my 8 years of driving is by the volvo... But just had to wait and it fixed itself lol, my 306 actually never ONCE let me down!!

Amen to this
I've had countless issues with my 306, but non of them really warrant being called an issue as im used to conrods spitting out the side. little niggly shit can just be fixed there and then, as ruan said, there is so little to go wrong with them thats beyond the control/understanding of the average man. I've had gearboxes come off off, belts snap, radiator hoses split, injectors f*cked, glowies f*cked, no water even!, frozen water (causing the cambelt to slip over the water pump), ran out of fuel and used engine oil, ran dangerously low on oil and used veg in the fuel tank, brake lines splitting and plugging the connection with a plug fitting, blown turbos, completely f*cked rings, powersteering pump falling off, no clutch,

they are ridiculously hard wearing depending on your tolerance to what you think a failure is. In my eyes a failure is when it wont physically move anymore.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(14-07-2014, 11:56 PM)Ruan Wrote: DPF.

The older 1.6 110 has a DPF, the newer 1.6 92 also has one, but much later generation.

Is that it!? Confused I had no idea they reduced economy that much lol. Can't just get rid of them now either. Dodgy

(15-07-2014, 05:54 AM)Piggy Wrote: You need small Japanese petrol if you really want trust in a car.

Colt or Similar. The 1.1 colt does amazing mpg, sounds ace and is fun to drive. +jap reliability. Same with civic 1.4vtec....micra 1.0/1.3...list is good for choice.

That being said we did 50k miles in my ph1 xud turd on stg1 tune and veg. Only thing that it let me down on was starter relay....after being driven through a lake by the mrs...and clutch, due to me spilling a lot of veg over the bell housing.
So without those two issues...it was faultless tbh
Plus comfy and practical. Rust free too. And fun. And cheap to insure and buy service bits for (£27 all in for full service bits)

Why do people get SO caught up in this cheaper tax bracket thing and compromise on car choice....spread over the year its nothing. Its like people who buy a car to pull a caravan for just one holiday a year. Mad.

We've been over this already, I tried a small jap petrol, unfortunately they ALL come with a shit ride and solid seats that my stomach can't cope with. Move up to a slightly larger one (Yaris size) and they're so slow I'm gonna end up head on overtaking a tractor on a B road, though I do now understand why I'm often the arsehole that overtakes 2 small cars plus a tractor. lol

Don't get me wrong, 306's have their place, and I'm glad I owned the 1.4 4 years ago...but they're not useful for me now. Quite a few reasons really, apart from the stupid tax and not enough mpg for me. I don't find them comfortable, and they're actually killing my left knee, not sure if its the crap driving position or the heavy clutch (despite being new and 'light' for one of these) but I never had the same problem in the Vectra, town driving is unbearable some days if I'm honest. They're not cheap to insure, in fact EVERY newer car I've looked at so far has been cheaper to insure than a mapped HDi lol. Service parts are the same for most cars, it's larger, engine specific parts that tend to cost more. 'Fun' is subjective, I don't really understand it, and I don't find 306s 'fun', I'd rather have something with tonnes of grip that I can throw into a corner at 60 and not feel like it's gonna let go all the time - I know most of you will find that boring though. Then theres things like AC, I can't stand heat, and it makes dealing with panic a lot more difficult than being in a cool calm environment (note I say calm, all windows open roaring away is not calming). There are a lot of reasons, but a lot of it is specific to myself rather than the car, I am not 'slagging off' the 306s at all.

As for the MPG and tax for a compromise, every car will have compromises unless you have an endless pit of money lol, why do you chose to run a diesel on veg rather than a big petrol V8? Cost I'm guessing...so a compromise. Wink I've also had to seriously think about my situation. I don't want this thread to end up about my situation which is why I have avoided this so far, but I've had to face up to the fact I won't be working anytime soon, as I'm really struggling just at home atm. I have got some money saved, both to buy a newer car, and to move out (well that was the plan) and I've gotta look for something that I KNOW I can afford to run, even if I'm still not working in 2 or 3 years time (I'll have killed myself by then if that's still the case though haha) That's why £30 or less tax, and 60+ mpg are important factors in my choice, though they won't be so much for other people. I know most will say spend the savings on fuel and tax (despite the other issues I've got with 306s atm) but that's just wasted, and will run out. At least eco cars do hold value well and will still sell for a decent amount when I'm in a better position. The 107 really would've been ideal, if only I didn't get carsick so easily, so that's the reason I've been completely 'knocked' with what to chose now.

(15-07-2014, 06:09 AM)Dave Wrote:
(08-07-2014, 06:15 AM)Ruan Wrote:
(07-07-2014, 05:27 PM)Niall Wrote: This. This is why a XUD 306 would be ideal. You know them well and the XUD is as basic as it gets. Only reason why they fail so often on here is because people chuck silly boost through them or veg oil

Amen to this
I've had countless issues with my 306, but non of them really warrant being called an issue as im used to conrods spitting out the side. little niggly shit can just be fixed there and then, as ruan said, there is so little to go wrong with them thats beyond the control/understanding of the average man. I've had gearboxes come off off, belts snap, radiator hoses split, injectors f*cked, glowies f*cked, no water even!, frozen water (causing the cambelt to slip over the water pump), ran out of fuel and used engine oil, ran dangerously low on oil and used veg in the fuel tank, brake lines splitting and plugging the connection with a plug fitting, blown turbos, completely f*cked rings, powersteering pump falling off, no clutch,

they are ridiculously hard wearing depending on your tolerance to what you think a failure is. In my eyes a failure is when it wont physically move anymore.

I have NO tolerance to failure lol. IF I can still drive it home, that's a bonus, but the repercussions from any failure just are not worth it. And with an old 306 that's probably been used as a workhorse by 12 different owners, it's inevitable tbh.
Thanks given by:
Don't drive is my advice.

This all stems back to the root of the problem. You need to sort it out - you need to help yourself.

Just burying your head in the sand is not going to help.
Thanks given by:
Moped.
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2014, 09:40 AM)Ruan Wrote: Don't drive is my advice.

This all stems back to the root of the problem. You need to sort it out - you need to help yourself.

Just burying your head in the sand is not going to help.

Yep, you're exactly right, however to get over the problem requires going out more (this is essentially how CBT/counselling should've worked). At the time I was in the Vectra, only doing 47-50mpg and shit scared of springs snapping so I stopped going out unless I really had to.....biggest mistake I've made so far! It did work in the short term, saved money and was less anxious for a few days at a time...but much more so trying to go out after not going out for 3 days or so! That's just got progressively worse since to the point where I'm really having to force myself to go out. Dodgy

Living where I do also can't go without a car unless I just don't go out...which isn't helpful. And I tried going on a bus last month, only made it 2 stops, did not end well and an experience I'm not going to repeat (I had already guessed what would happen, it went a lot worse than expected)!
Thanks given by:
And not having a car because you're worried of it breaking is ridiculous...

Get yourself a Mk4 TDi again and just drive the damned thing.
Thanks given by:
Here's my take on it.

These are the cars I've worked on an the faults they have had (that I remember clearly, and ages are, in some cases very, approximate).

BMW 320: Starter Motor, Welding.
Ford Fiesta 1.6 (W): HCV.
Ford Focus 1.8D(W): Fuel Pump.
Ford Focus 1.9/2.0?D(10): Clutch (36k), Pissing Oil.
Ford Mondeo 1.8(X): All 4 springs, Rear Callipers, (currently burning oil).
Ford Mondeo ST200 2.5(W): Oil Cooler, Front Springs, Secondarys Motor (Cleaned) Air Con Pump.
Ford Mondeo ST200 2.5(X): Secondarys Motor (Replaced), Air Hoses, MAF.
Ford Puma 1.7(X): ABS Pump, Brake Hoses, Front Brake Calipers, Bushes, Clock.
Honda Jazz 1.6(06): Gearbox, EGR.
Mazda Xedos 6 2.0®: Cam Belt Tensioner, Rear Brake Hoses, Split Intake Hose.
Mazda Demios 1.4(S): Clutch(75k), Radiator.
MG ZT (04): Head Gasket.
Mitzubishi Shogun 2.8D(W): Head Gasket, Wheel Bearings.
Peugeot Partner 1.9(XUD) (P): Fuel Pump (lucas), Broken spring
Peugeot Partner 1.9(DW8) (W?): Indicator Stalk. Glow Plug relay ECU type thing.
Peugeot Expert 1.9DT(XUD) (P?): Clutch (120k).
Peugeot 306 1.9DT(P): Fuel Pump (lucas), Rear Beam, Door Loom, Power Steering Pump, Radiator, Rear Lights Earth, Indicator stalk, Clutch (170k), Main Earth.
Peugeot 306 1.9DT(M): Rear Beam, Door Loom,
Peugeot 106 1.1(N): Door Handles. Rear Lights,
Seat Ibiza: Gear Linkages.
Vauxhall Astra 1.6: Oil Pump.
Vauxhall Vectra 1.8: Head Gasket.
VW Golf GTi PD150: Starter Motor.

That just looks horrific, and (my) 306 has the longest list by far! EEP!
But if you factor in the number of miles/years and costs (rough):

BMW 320: 3Years, £80 (£26/y)
Ford Fiesta 1.6 (W): 3 Years £40 (£13/y)
Ford Focus 1.8D(W): 15 Years, £180 (£12/y)
Ford Focus 1.9?D(10): 2 Years, £220 (£110/y)
Ford Mondeo 1.8(X): 2 Years, £150 (£75/y)
Ford Mondeo ST200 2.5(W): 7 Years, £80 (£11/y)
Ford Mondeo ST200 2.5(X): 2 Years, £200 (£100/y)
Ford Puma 1.7(X): 6 Years, £100 (£16/y)
Honda Jazz 1.2(06): 2 Years, £900 (£450/y)
Mazda Xedos 6 2.0®: 5 Years, £200 (£40/y)
Mazda Demios 1.4(S): 2 Years, £170 (£85/y)
MG ZT (04): 8 Months, He didn't bother with repair as it had so many other faults.
Mitzubishi Shogun 2.8D(W): 6 Years £300 (£50/y)
Peugeot Partner 1.9(XUD) (P): 10 Years £40 (£4/y)
Peugeot Partner 1.9(DW8) (W?): 1 Year £100 (£100/y)
Peugeot Expert 1.9DT(XUD) (P?): 4 Years £150 (£37/y)
Peugeot 306 1.9DT(P): 8 Years £200 (£25/y)
Peugeot 306 1.9DT(M): 3 Years £90 (£30/y)
Peugeot 106 1.1(N): 1 Year £40 (£40/y)
Seat Ibiza: 6 Months £40 (£80/y)
Vauxhall Astra 1.6: 5 Years £90 (£18/y)
Vauxhall Vectra 1.8: 6 Years £200 (£33/y)
VW Golf GTi PD150: 3 Years, £60 (£20/y)

My 306 isn't looking too bad now Smile

Now how many times they have left people stranded, with the probability of each car leaving you stranded per year in order with the least reliable first, sorted by costs. So your ideal car will be last on the list.

Honda Jazz 1.2(06): 4, 200% (£450/y)
Peugeot Partner 1.9(DW8) (W?): 2, 200% (£100/y)
Seat Ibiza: 1, 200% (£80/y)
MG ZT (04): 1, 150%
BMW 320: 2, 66% (£26/y)
Mazda Xedos 6 2.0®: 3, 60% (£40/y)
Ford Focus 1.9?D(10): 1. 50% (£110/y)
VW Golf GTi PD150: 1, 33%(£20/y)
Peugeot Expert 1.9DT(XUD) (P?): 1, 25% (£37/y)
Vauxhall Astra 1.6: 1, 20% (£18/y)
Mitzubishi Shogun 2.8D(W): 1, 16% (£50/y)
Vauxhall Vectra 1.8: 1, 16% (£33/y)
Peugeot 306 1.9DT(P): 1, 12% (£25/y)
Ford Focus 1.8D(W): 1. 7% (£12/y)
Ford Mondeo ST200 2.5(X): 0, 0% (£100/y)
Mazda Demios 1.4(S): 0, 0% (£85/y)
Ford Mondeo 1.8(X): 0. 0%(£75/y)
Peugeot 106 1.1(N): 0, 0% (£40/y)
Peugeot 306 1.9DT(M): 0, 0% (£30/y)
Ford Puma 1.7(X): 0, 0% (£16/y)
Ford Fiesta 1.6 (W): 0. 0% (£13/y)
Ford Mondeo ST200 2.5(W): 0, 0% (£11/y)
Peugeot Partner 1.9(XUD) (P): 0, 0% (£4/y)

So clearly if you want something that won't leave you stranded, and requires almost nothing extra to normal maintenance, minimal yearly outlay on parts, you need an old XUD van, but make sure you don't get a newer one and for the love of god shy away from Honda's

Newer cars certainly seem to cost a lot more to repair when they go wrong, but anything I say will be biased as I don't tend to repair cars that are working fine.

Older cars have common faults: this is true. Newer ones have uncommon faults (until the get known).

Can you guess which costs more to repair, and which take far longer to find get spares and repair:
The noise at the back of a 306 or the noise under the bonnet of the Jazz?

But clearly, Honda's are reliable but that one wasn't, every XUD I've ever worked on was bulletproof, I've never had to do a HG on one, but people stick silly boost in and lift the head or blow a rod out the side. Is the engine unreliable? Its extremely reliable in my experience, but does that mean the next 200bhp+ monster will last 200k?

What I may however be trying to say in a very exaggerated way is the plural of anecdote is not data. Even your own experiences can't be relied on to tell you the reliability of a car.

They all break, but the probability is they won't. In my experience newer cars cost more to repair and are more likely to leave you stranded than they are to fail in a minor way. I'd pick a XUD'd 306, as its cheap to run and hellish reliable.

TLBig GrinR. Get the car you want.
Thanks given by:
Mk4s and equivalent cost more now than I was paying for them 3 years ago! Dodgy There's a nice PD150 Leon near me...11 years old and still £4k! There's better about for the same money...unfortunately it ends up being French lol.

I do agree it's ridiculous though! And its so easy to sit here and say that....its a completely different story actually doing things though. Dodgy

(15-07-2014, 11:00 AM)DarkInferno Wrote: TLBig GrinR. Get the car you want.

There isn't a car I 'want'. Confused

But that's definitely an interesting way of seeing the data though!
Thanks given by:
The thing is Tom, that 4k Leon with a desirable engine will still be worth 3k in a years time, and lets be honest, you wont keep it more than a year as you'll find something to fault on it.

As I've said to you time & time again, the more you spend, the more you lose. If I part ex'd my BM now, 2.5 mths after buying it, I'd lose probably 2 grand on what I paid. That's sickening, but I knew that when I purchased it, doesn't matter to me as I'll keep the car 5 years and get my moneys worth - I made sure I purchased a sensible, practical, economical car that I can live with & grow into (Having a family etc)

You seem to want this:

Ultra Reliablility
Fair performance
Handling
Huge economy
Value for money
Little depreciation
Cheap tax

You MUST realise there's a compromise to be made somewhere here, as a rule of thumb if we're looking at 'Newer diesels' - the newer they are, the more 'Niggly' problems there is (DPF, DMF, EGR etc) - So buy an older one, cheaper, higher miles - No can't do that as the tax is too much - So which would you prefer? Cheap tax but the small chance of having to complete general maintenance on it throughout, or possibly better reliability but paying a higher tax class.

Personally I'd go for a newer one, when I purchased by BM (and the astra) I decided to not even bother researching the problems they have, and for once I really enjoyed actually buying a car and learning about it as I drove/owned it - How many 1000's of diesel Astra J's and 320d's do you see on the road? How many do you see in laybys with their bonnets up? I just drive my car and don't even think about it breaking, if it breaks I call recovery and get it towed home - What else can I do? Why would you spend ££££ on a car, and then just worry constantly that it'll break, you'll never enjoy the car. If you then say that you don't want/need a car to enjoy any more, then get something that is completely practical and boring, the 107 for example.

I can't see how you're ever going to find a car, you seem to find more and more requirements each time you post, leaving almost no cars that suit your requirements now.

Time to compromise.
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2014, 11:15 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: As I've said to you time & time again, the more you spend, the more you lose.

That just isn't the case!

I paid £3k for the Vectra, sold it a year later for £3k.

I paid £2.6k for the silver Golf, sold it 9 months later for £2.4k.

I paid £2.4k for the Blue Golf, sold the parts 6 months later for £2.6k lol.

I didn't lose out on the expensive cars at all. But I've lost a hell of a lot on 306's in just the last few months despite paying fairly low prices for them. And in fact the same was happening before, which is why I stopped buying them the first time around lol.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should we be concerned about our diesels bashbarnard 65 14,580 15-05-2017, 09:10 AM
Last Post: r3k1355
  Diesels in london lolsteve 57 18,259 10-05-2017, 06:22 AM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  ByeBye Diesels lolsteve 109 27,224 14-04-2017, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Piggy