1.8 engine tuning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.8 engine tuning
Hi there ive got a xsara vtr 1.8 16v, same engine as a 306, was going to do an engine swap for a gti6 engine but im just wondering if anyones tuned up a 1.8 and what they did and how much power they got out of it

thanks
mat
Thanks given by:
Have a look at SRowells project thread mate Smile
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I've seen a sandy brown engine running 236 bhp IIRC, they were the basis of the 206 WRC engine, so yeah, 330 bhp with a 34mm restrictor 85mm liners and 88mm crank (1997 cc)

have seen those WRC engines taken to 550 bhp with larger restrictors on rallycross car (yes, they are still restricted!! 45mm afaik)
Thanks given by:
Had anyone taken the ac off a 1.8 and can help on what I need
mat
Thanks given by:
Yep you want a 306 Rallye aux belt setup. 2 tensioners and the belt Smile
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Cheers niall your a top fella, do you know if anyone has ever removed the heater out of the system completely
mat
Thanks given by:
Hello. Have a look at my thread. Im running throttlebodies and a omex 600 ecu. ive removed the AC too but still have the heaters. You want to be fitting a gti6 head to see the majority of performance gains from this engine. once youd done that any more power will cost you!
Thanks given by:
(08-07-2014, 05:01 PM)SRowell Wrote: Hello. Have a look at my thread. Im running throttlebodies and a omex 600 ecu. ive removed the AC too but still have the heaters. You want to be fitting a gti6 head to see the majority of performance gains from this engine. once youd done that any more power will cost you!

Changing the head will that increase much is it just a straight swap and using the 1.8 loom was going to put a 6 Iinlet manifold on anyways
Thanks given by:
step by step tuning guide to tuning the 1.8..

remove 1.8 from car
scrap 1.8
insert XUD into car..
Screw!
win

=D
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Anyway... Yes the head will make a massive difference but you need to map it for it to run properly and you can't map the standard ECU which means you have to fit an aftermarket one and make a custom loom. Mine uses the omex loom and a stripped down gti6 loom. I'm running gti6 injectors too as i wasnt confident the 1.8 ones would flow enough.

The most you can do on a standard ECU is gti6 inlet and exhaust manifold. Some people have had problems with this but I didn't have any. It sounded great and went well with just the inlet.
Thanks given by:
after all this is done, would it not be easier to drop in the '6 lump and loom?

i should imagine the ECU would be able to compensate with the sensors to an extent..

personally (on a more constructive note) i would want a better, more appropriate fueling map for it and that comes with the requirement of a different ECU.
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2014, 08:51 AM)toseland Wrote: after all this is done, would it not be easier to drop in the '6 lump and loom?

i should imagine the ECU would be able to compensate with the sensors to an extent..

personally (on a more constructive note) i would want a better, more appropriate fueling map for it and that comes with the requirement of a different ECU.

Depends what you want from the engine really. The end power figure isn't the most important thing most of the time (although a lot here seem to think it is lol).
For example, there's no point in having 300hp if it doesn't make that along with peak torque until 7.5k and it's lifeless below that because you have to rag the tits off it everywhere.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
yeah i spose...

that would be fine for me and my lead right foot.
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
The 1.8 block is what the used for the WRC car not the gti6...

so put that in your pipe and smoke it!
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the advice niall and sam, decided what im going to do for now ill get a 6 inlet and exhaust manifolds then when more funds are available ill get a 6 engine aswell.

Sam I checked out your 1.8 looks sweet on them throttlebodies

thans
mat
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2014, 04:38 PM)ayton autosport Wrote: Cheers for the advice niall and sam, decided what im going to do for now ill get a 6 inlet and exhaust manifolds then when more funds are available ill get a 6 engine aswell.

thans
mat

Someone before on the forum had that plan but never made it that far. To fit the exhaust manifold you need a gti6 cat/decat and you'll need to take the engine out to fit the manifold. probably worth just dropping a 6 engine in if you're planning on doing it in the future anyway.
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2014, 04:46 PM)SRowell Wrote:
(09-07-2014, 04:38 PM)ayton autosport Wrote: Cheers for the advice niall and sam, decided what im going to do for now ill get a 6 inlet and exhaust manifolds then when more funds are available ill get a 6 engine aswell.

thans
mat

Someone before on the forum had that plan but never made it that far. To fit the exhaust manifold you need a gti6 cat/decat and you'll need to take the engine out to fit the manifold. probably worth just dropping a 6 engine in if you're planning on doing it in the future anyway.

Just with it been lighter its ideal for my track car
Thanks given by:
In need of a gti6 exhaust manifold if anyones got one

mat
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2014, 05:52 PM)ayton autosport Wrote: In need of a gti6 exhaust manifold if anyones got one

mat

I've got one mate, also have an emptied out gti6 cat aswell if your after one
Thanks given by: