Suicidal Seat Rails

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suicidal Seat Rails
I have a Ph3 which has been fitted with Ph2 GTi6 leather / alcantara seats and recently the passenger sliding mechanism has been problematic.

Basically it will fail to 'lock' in and if there's an occupant in that seat it has been known to slide forward under braking. Obviously, this ain't right.

I plan to remove the seat at the weekend and inspect the mechanism, but I don't really know what I'm looking at / for. Any tips on how to fix this or is it more a case of finding a replacement set of sliding mechanisms from a breaker?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
I had a car like this once, think it may have been a 306.

It was a case of a piece of metal on the runner had become 'limp' I suppose you'd call it, I literally looked at the runners whilst in the car for driver/passenger, saw the passenger one had a piece of metal sitting lower down... bent it up with a screwdriver & it was perfect after that!

Hope it makes a bit of sense Confused
Thanks given by:
I suspect / hope the same, I'm guessing there's got to be some form of ratchet mechanism as you can hear it clicking as you slide the seat into position. Will have to inspect, hoping it's not something broken as going on holiday at the end of the month!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
My ph1 used to do this, I just used to push the seat back harder and it worked lol
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2014, 10:19 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: I had a car like this once, think it may have been a 306.

It was a case of a piece of metal on the runner had become 'limp' I suppose you'd call it, I literally looked at the runners whilst in the car for driver/passenger, saw the passenger one had a piece of metal sitting lower down... bent it up with a screwdriver & it was perfect after that!

Hope it makes a bit of sense Confused

This!

I had it on my old polo, there was a plastic clip the front part of the seat used to slide over, and that was missing resulting on the clip mechanism not actually holding the seat in place. Replaced the plastic clip, good as new!
Thanks given by:
there is a sliding "bracket" that slides/locks on the inner seat rail---the one nearest the handbrake. my drivers seat had an episode like yours, braking/accelerating !!

before you take seat out, try tilting seat forward then slide all the way back BEFORE you lift the seat back up

sometimes as you slide back in the tilted position the seat hooks under the slider----takes it fully backwards to the end stop---then as you un-tilt the seat it locks back in.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star Aftermarket seats with original rails. pr0ject_6 0 891 10-06-2021, 12:21 PM
Last Post: pr0ject_6
  Estate roof rails? LewisG 11 2,036 21-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Last Post: tigerstyle