Another rusty result of missing arch liner

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another rusty result of missing arch liner
After seeing pictures of the rust that has been known to happen on 306's with no nearside rear wheel arch liner I started to wonder what mine would be like. I'd hoped mine had got away with it and looking up from underneath it looked okay. Then one day I started to get the telltale rust stains on the carpet in the boot so last week I decided to investigate Sad

[attachment=17082]
[attachment=17083]

After a few days of cutting out the rust, cleaning it up, making a new piece, waiting for a welding mask on order and then learning to weld, it's all sorted....although at one point I did wonder if it was worth it!

Well worth having a look behind the interior trim, even if you think your 306 has escaped the rot! It must rust for years before getting to the point where it's that bad it's noticeable with orange stains running down the boot carpet!
Thanks given by:
make sure you do a proper job there mate...thats the mounting point for the seatbelt. Dont want that going wrong!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
did you mig weld the repair piece in place?
Thanks given by:
Way better than what mine was like. Had to cut the whole inner rear quarter out and weld a second hand one in. Took me 8 hours was a bastard job. Glad I done it though
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Quote:make sure you do a proper job there mate...thats the mounting point for the seatbelt. Dont want that going wrong!!

Yeah I know, I well and truly took my time over it and made it stronger around the point at which the belt mounts to. Makes you wonder how many 306's there are out there which are unknowingly corroded around the mounting point and if it would hold up if the worst were to happen.

Quote:did you mig weld the repair piece in place?

Indeed I did

Quote:Way better than what mine was like. Had to cut the whole inner rear quarter out and weld a second hand one in. Took me 8 hours was a bastard job. Glad I done it though

It was worse than it appears. When the rust was cut out, it ended up approximately three times the area it looks in the photos I posted (haven't uploaded the rest off of my phone yet) as it was all under the earth point (right up to the top of it) and the top of the wheel arch too...although I dare say it was better than others. Wow yours sounds like it was really bad! I thought mine was a bastard of a job so can't imagine what that was like!
Thanks given by:
It was but then I was expecting it to be honest. I had already cut a rear quarter out ready for it. Had to weld other half's one too. But then again I have access to a full workshop so im lucky. Also I could already weld.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
so mig welding will not fry the ecu etc etc etc ?? was any "protection" for these components used or where they removed from the car????

i have some welding to do ( hopefully just a repair to the n/s/front outrigger, under where the passengers feet would be ) before mot time in November.........
Thanks given by:
(24-06-2014, 02:35 PM)pug306driver Wrote: so mig welding will not fry the ecu etc etc etc ?? was any "protection" for these components used or where they removed from the car????

i have some welding to do ( hopefully just a repair to the n/s/front outrigger, under where the passengers feet would be ) before mot time in November.........

there is no ecu . . . . Dodgy
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
No ECU in xud to worry about Smile
Thanks given by:
I still believe in using a surge protector across the battery, on any age/make of shed I am welding;
ecu or not theres still the alternator/dashboard/abs systems that will not thank you for a voltage spike....

would rather take the time to pop the bonnet and clip it on the battery terminals
Thanks given by:
Or just remove the negative. No flow then
Thanks given by:
mmmmmm....that's what was worrying me fried electronicary expensive to replace.....so whats the ruling here......a surge protection devise across the battery, or disconnect the earth, or remove all fragile electronics.......or don't mig weld??

I don't have oxyacetylene plant...........
Thanks given by:
As had been said, mine is an xud so no ecu to worry about. However I still disconnected the battery just to be sure
Thanks given by:
what about peoples hdi's.............any recommendation/advise/experience from them please.....
Thanks given by:
(23-06-2014, 01:24 PM)Mark Wrote: After seeing pictures of the rust that has been known to happen on 306's with no nearside rear wheel arch liner I started to wonder what mine would be like. I'd hoped mine had got away with it and looking up from underneath it looked okay. Then one day I started to get the telltale rust stains on the carpet in the boot so last week I decided to investigate Sad

Im new to 306, but i found the same thing just a lot worse when the seatbelt was a little slow...

[Image: IMG_0605_zps8c21657d.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Looks like you will have fun repairing that
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Thats obscene! Is this limited to 5 door 306's or does it affect the 3 door aswell?
Thanks given by:
(06-07-2014, 09:59 AM)af1 Wrote: Thats obscene! Is this limited to 5 door 306's or does it affect the 3 door aswell?

PH2s and late estates it looks like. Check to see if you have a N/S/R arch liner. If not, you need to check for rust Sad
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
yeah i will have to have a nosey! Im surprised to see a 306 rot so badly!
Thanks given by:
3 doors get it too. I welded other halves up.
Thanks given by:
(25-06-2014, 09:37 AM)pug306driver Wrote: what about peoples hdi's.............any recommendation/advise/experience from them please.....

when i welded my HDI estate arch i disconnected the battery and unplugged the ecu
just in case Wink
Thanks given by:
I have seen a hole bigger than that on a 3 door rallye on BOTH sides.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rusty jacking point DeeTurbo 2 1,394 13-06-2017, 07:27 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo
  Arch liner plastic rivets DeeTurbo 5 1,802 03-08-2016, 06:33 AM
Last Post: Frosty
  N/s/r arch liner fitting devils_fuel 10 1,955 28-03-2014, 09:45 AM
Last Post: kentiiboii