help me get a life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help me get a life
But with what prospects? You haven't got to walk into a high paying job straight away. For instance these ones your finding now down south may only be offering 18k bit with the potential for moving up to a more senior role in a few years on double that where as the jobs your mates are on at 25k might not have the luxury. If I was you, get your self to as many interviews as possible and ask these sorts of questions. Even if you get offered the job you don't have to take it. Leave your options open and think about where you will be in 5 years time Smile
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(19-06-2014, 11:50 PM)ginge191 Wrote: I'm still unsure why everyone is about money? You want money, make money; don't work for someone else.
Secondly, as long as your content with what you're doing it shouldn't matter? Are you living to work, or working to live...?

Personally, being a recent graduate and now an employee the world, it seems, is open to me. Knowing I'll be buying a house this time next year is a nice feeling.

As Rowell said above; don't rush into something because it seems wise now.

This!

I can't believe it took so long for someone to post mentioning something other than money! Surely the job itself is far more important than the wage? And then second to that is living in an area you're going to like. Wage comes way down the list for me, I just need enough to survive, and having lived on less than £6k a year for the last three years at uni, even minimum wage would satisfy that wish!
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Have you considered trying to get in on a public sector civil/structural engineering job? Most local councils in london have them and the chief one on any council earns a fair whack although its not the money you'll get designing bridges and skyscrapers and shit its at least a start to get experience.
Thanks given by:
(19-06-2014, 04:45 PM)lolsteve Wrote: It's in Waltham Abbey, Essex. Seems a nice place (although most places do against bradford)
Places nearby seem to be commanding around 750-850 for a nice 2 bedroom flat which makes me very sad when i think back to northern prices

The idea of being worse off than when I was a student isn't all the appealing especially when I was hoping to have some cash to actually be able to invest in the modifications/have fun.

My degree is in Civil & Structural engineering so there's plenty of work out there for me not like a media degree which I would struggle more for

haha thats a 5 min drive!
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
Bear in mind it's a lot easier to get a job if you've got a job, maybe worth getting something mediocre in the short term and continuing to job hunt for something perfect. Gives you the money to live for now, hence the time to find the ideal, and the incentive to progress.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Turned down the call back interview today, been talking with Dad and we agreed can do better and not in a rush

(20-06-2014, 08:54 AM)Niall Wrote: But with what prospects? You haven't got to walk into a high paying job straight away. For instance these ones your finding now down south may only be offering 18k bit with the potential for moving up to a more senior role in a few years on double that where as the jobs your mates are on at 25k might not have the luxury. If I was you, get your self to as many interviews as possible and ask these sorts of questions. Even if you get offered the job you don't have to take it. Leave your options open and think about where you will be in 5 years time Smile
Good point but once I have a couple years worth of experience there's alot more jobs that open up as there seems to be graduate jobs and graduate with experience jobs. So I could start somewhere with a good starting pay in a not so nice area then when have the experience move to somewhere who want more experienced graduates with bigger prospects

(20-06-2014, 09:54 AM)Kezzieboy Wrote: This!

I can't believe it took so long for someone to post mentioning something other than money! Surely the job itself is far more important than the wage? And then second to that is living in an area you're going to like. Wage comes way down the list for me, I just need enough to survive, and having lived on less than £6k a year for the last three years at uni, even minimum wage would satisfy that wish!
Don't get me wrong I wouldn't take a 25k job over a 22k if I hated what I was doing but there's plenty of companies out there that could give the money Im after and a job I like.
I've lived on the 6k a year too for 4 years don't forget, just feel like I should be living a bit better off after uni that I was in uni. 20k after tax and expensive housing isn't much

(20-06-2014, 10:16 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Have you considered trying to get in on a public sector civil/structural engineering job? Most local councils in london have them and the chief one on any council earns a fair whack although its not the money you'll get designing bridges and skyscrapers and shit its at least a start to get experience.
Havent yet, only really started looking for jobs. Will give them a go as have heard council engineers do quite well Tongue
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
The money is definitely down south. I work for a company based in Leeds and 90% of our work is around the M25, M4 corridor area. We travel down Monday stay in B&B's through week and home Friday. Earn twice the money I would up here but hardly see the GF and young un.
Thanks given by:
We are not moving to sheffield...end of.
French Wench
Thanks given by:
(28-06-2014, 10:30 AM)LadySteve Wrote: We are not moving to sheffield...end of.

Just out of interst how come you're against Sheff?

I've got my heart set on moving to Clowne when we are in a position to do so (Will be at least 4-5 years yet) but keen to know your thoughts?
Thanks given by:
My brother started with a company in Aldershot, worked for them in Leeds for a few months and then moved to a company inside the M25, worked on projects in London, and New York, and now covers pretty much anything south of Birmingham.

It did take about 100 letters of application in his final year iirc, and from that he had about 4 interviews.

Take your time, find a number of companies that you are interested in working for and try and find an "in", get involved in any groups/forums in the area of work and get networking.
Thanks given by:
(28-06-2014, 02:04 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:

I take it you've never been to Sheffield then Jordan.
Thanks given by:
(29-06-2014, 05:55 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(28-06-2014, 02:04 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:

Yes many many times, Clowne is a stones throw.
Thanks given by:
Just as an update:

Got an interview for Hyder Consulting in York. Seem to have a much better policy on benefits such as cycle to work and pensions also this website
http://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Salary/Hyder-...E24984.htm
suggests they would have a better starting salary and as a multi national company there's some good future potential Smile
Also with it being in York there's alot of cheap housing/cost of living nearby

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(29-06-2014, 06:04 AM)JJ0063 Wrote:
(29-06-2014, 05:55 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(28-06-2014, 02:04 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Just out of interst how come you're against Sheff?

Yes many many times, Clowne is a stones throw.

I currently live in Doncaster which is literally a 30 minutes drive to sheff door to door, so im close enough to it as it is. Although there is some nice parts granted, Its mostly a shithole, and Im against it because I know EXACTLY why steve keeps suggesting sheffield to me, and it isnt because hes found a job there -_-
French Wench
Thanks given by:
(29-06-2014, 07:44 PM)LadySteve Wrote: .....Im against it because I know EXACTLY why steve keeps suggesting sheffield to me, and it isnt because hes found a job there -_-

Oooh sounds juicy, do tell Smile
Thanks given by:
HE KNOWS!!
French Wench
Thanks given by:
Favourite strip club?
Thanks given by:
HAHA nothing so sordid
French Wench
Thanks given by:
Yes it's a thread revival but do one as I am now a member of the employed community Big Grin

Had an interview on friday for a place up in Bury and got the call today from the recruitment agency confirming they want some of this sweet ass!
£23k starting with bupa health care & pension along with a 4 year training course to help me become chartered Big Grin

Start on the 8th of September so need to get house hunting, soooo pumpeeddd

Thanks given by:
Nice one Steve. Smile
Thanks given by:
Congrats mate Smile
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Congrats babe x
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Mate that's brilliant! So glad to have you back in't north, even if it is wankashire x
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Happy to be going back Big Grin Already spotted a nice 2 bed flat cycling distance from the office.
So glad I held off from the london job

Thanks given by:
Don't depress us southerners by telling us what the rental on that flat is.

Well done on the job mate, £23k straight out of uni with bupa health care aint at all bad.
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2014, 03:28 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Yes it's a thread revival but do one as I am now a member of the employed community Big Grin

Had an interview on friday for a place up in Bury and got the call today from the recruitment agency confirming they want some of this sweet ass!
£23k starting with bupa health care & pension along with a 4 year training course to help me become chartered Big Grin

Start on the 8th of September so need to get house hunting, soooo pumpeeddd

nice one steve! now you can part ex that thing for a proper rover Tongue
joke a side, I am progress of bettering my self too, hoping to move on.
Thanks given by: