Setting up audio

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting up audio
I've got a little 8" 200W thing to go in the car that i was given for free, along with a 500W amp....just need to get myself a new wiring kit, and then the motivation to build an enclosure for the sub in the cubby hole in the boot. Wink
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
how shallow is the 8" sub and whats the model of it? I can spec a box size and so if it will be worthwhile in the cubby hole or not.

I got a 10" bassface sub i run in but wanted back to pioneer champion series Tom. Aslong as you pay postage can have it for a tenner. box on ebay I got and using for the pioneer 10" is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-WEDGE-ROUND...2565cee9fa if that helps
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
The sub is 100mm deep, and its a SoundLab L042. A quick google shows a purple variant of what ive got, which is slightly odd, but as i said, it was free, and gave a fairly decent sound in the DT. Not after window rattling bass, just something to take the hard work away from the components. Wink

EDIT: Also, the idea of using the cubby hole as an enclosure came from Ian (Slam Wagon), as he's sone the same in his estate, and ideally i need to maintain as much room in the boot itself for all my work gear. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Have you measured up the cubby hole?
Thanks given by:
Not as yet, but i've still got the box for the sub if all else fails. Wink Its only a little box, but if i can mount the speaker in the cubby hole, then that'd be perfect. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I'd personally be wary of the cubby hole cause you'll have to fibreglass it and still make sure the box isn't to small for the sub. To maximise space in my estate I mounted amps on side and then have 1 10" sub in a box.
Thanks given by:
Meh, was just gonna use a bit of 12 or 18mm MDF and see what it sounds like really. Wink As i say, if all else fails, it can go back in its original box, and i'll just have to deal with losing a little bit of space from the boot. lol
Thanks given by:
I thought about this last night and I may do this is mine in regards to a sub;

Cut a baffle out of mdf and line it up with my amp rack on passenger side. Fibreglass back of box and use cubby hole to mount the 5 & 1/2 inch deep champion series. Need to do some measurements but if it works can maybe start doing them
Thanks given by:
Hey just to chip in.
The cable you are using as speaker cable is actually signal cable designed to be used to make your own RCAs.
You can tell as it has a thin inner core and an outer shield which would usually be used as ground.
It will work as speaker cable but is far from ideal.
It is meant to handle mW (milli-watts) not 50+W from an amp.
Thanks given by:
(04-07-2014, 06:18 PM)Jama Wrote: Hey just to chip in.
The cable you are using as speaker cable is actually signal cable designed to be used to make your own RCAs.
You can tell as it has a thin inner core and an outer shield which would usually be used as ground.
It will work as speaker cable but is far from ideal.
It is meant to handle mW (milli-watts) not 50+W from an amp.

Oh really, that does explain why it has 2 seperate cores, they're both joined together atm lol
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
The outer is shielding not rca. If it was it would have the signal cable in middle with insulation around it
Thanks given by:
(04-07-2014, 07:59 PM)Kwik Wrote: The outer is shielding not rca. If it was it would have the signal cable in middle with insulation around it

RCA was just an example of a signal cable.
Looking at the picture of just the cable, it looked to have an inner copper core with a white insulator between that and the screen. Normally representative of a signal cable.
If it were plain speaker cable it should just be be a large bunch of copper (ideally) strands per cable.
Thanks given by:
Some speaker cables have extra shielding around them. Dunno why but I have encountered them a few times over the years lol
Thanks given by:
Its a silver strand core with a white/clear insulation then copper strand then the outer insulation...

Also just won some bargain rear speakers on ebay, 5 quid for the win!!!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Just zoomed in on pics after reading what you just put.

May be worthwhile putting in proper speaker cable lol
Thanks given by:
Anything you reccommend? Seem to be able to pick up about a million different varieties Sad
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
How far is your runs?
Thanks given by:
(05-07-2014, 06:19 PM)Kwik Wrote: How far is your runs?

Thats a very personal question....how do you even know hes got stomach problems?! Wink lmao
Thanks given by:
Lmfao of speaker cable lol
Thanks given by:
Riiiiiight........ Big Grin
Thanks given by:
From the center console down to rear footwell, over to door pillar under rea seat into spare wheel well, lets say 5 meters to be safe...
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10m-Speaker-Ca...564af31aab
Thanks given by:
Do you want it right away or you willing to wait for it to be delivered?

If you want it straight away maplins and code n20ap will be more then enough
Thanks given by:
Oooer thanks mate Smile will be able to go maplins tomorrow now and get some Big Grin
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Forgot to say i done this one sunday, naturally the stanley blade attacked me, but apart from that it went well. No change in sound quality, i dont think anyway, but that wire is good stuff.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
That's cool that's the one I used to recommend when I worked for them cause it is a good balance of bang for buck. 20metres should be more then enough and 15 amp can carry a fair amount of current
Thanks given by:
i miss my audio..... i really do Phoenix gold, with infinity reference series speakers all round, and a Rockford Fosgate sub (powered from the amp), with a nice kenwood head unit..

all in a skoda favorit hah. sounded sublime, 2 tonnes of dynamat and some nice o2free speaker wire/power line..
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Were those infinity speakers the ones that had a dark greeny coloured cone ? Lusted after them back in the day...

Must get my audio fitted !
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Estate audio upgrade pdg 8 3,281 21-05-2016, 08:24 PM
Last Post: pdg
  Audio setup - help LewisG 70 25,461 13-01-2015, 04:43 PM
Last Post: Ruan
  Running audio cable? JTaylor2005 9 2,450 14-12-2014, 12:17 AM
Last Post: JTaylor2005