Gearbox mounted turbo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gearbox mounted turbo
Does any one have any pictures of a g/box mounted turbo setup, im thinking about doing it to my hdi? Also does anyone have and parts or ideas that might be useful?
Thanks given by:
There was a thread a little while ago, same question asked, and loads of pics of gearbox mounted setups...try a search and see if you get anything
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I didnt think there was.much point on a hdi unless you going huge power? You can mao them with minor mods and clutch to good power. I thought it was more of an xud thing
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
I was planning to put a bigger turbo on due to the standard one failing, i guess that it means i can easily run 22 psi boost and be fairly reliable doing it, 20psi is the max on a k15.
Thanks given by:
Here was my set up [attachment=16466]y[attachment=16465][attachment=16464] let me no if u need more pics have loads lol
Thanks given by:
looks good mate, did i take much making the pipe from the manifold to the turbo? did the exhaust run ok and how did you do it?
Thanks given by:
If you want to see it on a dq 10 engine have a look at brynllwog (sp) project thread.
Thanks given by:
Have you got a link uberderv, i cant seem to find it on the search
Thanks given by:
http://www.nosmokenopoke.com/forum/showt...-HDi/page6

I Can only find it there^^^^^^^
Thanks given by:
You can get a decent upgraded turbo down the back on a hdi which would be good for 200bhp...
Which is more than your standard clutch will manage
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
So what turbo would you all recommend to fit then? Thanks uberderv for the link
Thanks given by:
Apparently the turbo off a 120d is a goodun, it's a 3rd gen VNT so will require some special mapping.
Thanks given by:
A VLKR would be wonderful...but a simple GT1749/52s would be a simple ish swap and would see very good gains without having to find some random turbo for £300 off a 120d and without having to control it and you can find them for about £70-100
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(26-05-2014, 05:02 PM)Piggy Wrote: A VLKR would be wonderful...but a simple GT1749/52s would be a simple ish swap and would see very good gains without having to find some random turbo for £300 off a 120d and without having to control it and you can find them for about £70-100

You saying not to go VNT with ecu control?
Thanks given by:
Here is my setup this is on a xud and a boost can not sure how you would do it on a hdi

[Image: 98AF9A1A-DCBA-46C2-B653-B8A921E060B3_zpsyfacsdmf.jpg]
[Image: mike_sig_zpsd438fb98.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Where do you pit the battery?
Thanks given by:
(26-05-2014, 07:59 PM)pugmanxud Wrote: Where do you pit the battery?

In the boot!
Thanks given by:
Aaah!! I am leaning towards box mounting my td04 purely so I can go vnt sooner or later. Fab work will be easy for me
Thanks given by:
I shouldn't bother with the gt17s, they're too small or laggy to be worth it imo. VNT would be ideal if you can find someone to map it, pro_steve does vnt control these days.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
looks good mate, did i take much making the pipe from the manifold to the turbo? did the exhaust run ok and how did you do it?

Didnt take me that long and the pipeing wasnt than hard ether my point is is ur going for a bigger turbo u are goin to want people to be able to see its so that why i went gear box mount lol :-) bt is up to u like :-)

[attachment=16477] [attachment=16476]
Thanks given by:
(27-05-2014, 05:48 AM)Poodle Wrote: I shouldn't bother with the gt17s, they're too small or laggy to be worth it imo. VNT would be ideal if you can find someone to map it, pro_steve does vnt control these days.

Laggy!?

GT1749s I wouldnt ever say was laggy!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
That relocation pipe above looks like a right radge :S
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
(27-05-2014, 01:59 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: That relocation pipe above looks like a right radge :S

Who cares if it works!
Thanks given by:
I know they're not exactly precision engines, but that's going to introduce some resistance to flow!
Thanks given by:
(27-05-2014, 02:19 PM)Sambarker Wrote:
(27-05-2014, 01:59 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: That relocation pipe above looks like a right radge :S

Who cares if it works!

What he said lol

Exactly the style I would be going for if I was to G/Box mount...random bit of exhaust bend...does the job
Thanks given by:
I specifically mean the join from the straight to the pipe that goes to the hotside BTW, the rest seems perfectly functional Tongue
Thanks given by:
I specifically mean the join from the straight to the pipe that goes to the hotside BTW, the rest seems perfectly functional Tongue

Lol the pipe in the pic was just a tester its a lot better nw lol and works fine :-)
Thanks given by:
(27-05-2014, 01:53 PM)Piggy Wrote: Laggy!?

No, but it's probably too small to be worth upgrading to, on the dci engines she's on full blow by 2k rpm. The 1752 on the saabs will be laggy as it's designed for a larger petrol engine.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(28-05-2014, 05:42 AM)Poodle Wrote:
(27-05-2014, 01:53 PM)Piggy Wrote: Laggy!?

No, but it's probably too small to be worth upgrading to, on the dci engines she's on full blow by 2k rpm. The 1752 on the saabs will be laggy as it's designed for a larger petrol engine.

Remember though laggy =/= high boost threshold...

Two very different things... I've got a 1752 on my DT atm, once you've got it above 3k rpm, you can poke the throttle and the turbo is instantly there, anything below 3k, just not enough gas flow... That's a high boost threshold...

Conversely a T25, starts spooling from about 1400rpm, but takes an age to build to full boost - that's lag. Every time you get back on the throttle, it takes an age for the turbo to spin up to speed.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
So is lag just due to the inefficiency of the turbine/inertial/friction losses? Obviously boost threshold is a design feature, as a turbo has a set operating range.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gearbox Mounted Turbo TommiePuglet 22 6,583 06-10-2017, 06:15 AM
Last Post: TommiePuglet
  air filter mounted on turbo? mattydturb 2 956 16-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Jonny81191