Another what car thread...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another what car thread...
You don't need to get a BAM, they're not the be all and end all. They're all very similar. The only real difference is 20mm wrist pins over 19mm, but that's not the only engine to have them. AGU has a large port head so is good for going BT (mine's AGU), but they're the earlier engines which you don't get in S3s. All 1.8Ts have forged cranks and pistons, it's the rods that go.

All S3s will map the to the same regardless whether they're 210 or 225.

Possible power figures on stock internals vary greatly,but 350 is definitely pushing it.
Thanks given by:
Browsing ebay pistonheads autotrader etc, come across this one i like...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...?logcode=p

Theres plenty more i like but i havent got them open atm. Trying to find a standard/reasonably standard one. Even though one someones already started modding might save me some money.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/u...iment=true

Couple other nice ones there. The full history is something i really want. A replacement clutch would be nice around 100k aswell. Cambelt goes without saying, they're 70k i think.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Were you ever familiar with Iain on theywhoshallnotbenamed? He went 306 XSi > GTi6 conversion > Gen 6 Celica > Audi S3. He is happy with his but it's not problem-free and from what he says it's pretty uneconomical to run, but he may be able to offer some pointers.

Curts 1.8T looks stunning IMO, doesn't carry the heavy 'not-really-a-Quattro' drivetrain about and is probably just as quick 90% of the time wouldn't you say Curt?

Obviously the S3 has the bodykit, fancy seats, bigger brakes etc but is it really worth the extra weight and costs (not least insurance?)
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
I'm happy with mine for the most part, and I'd say has more useble power more of the time with the smaller turbo and minimal lag. Once it has the KO3S and accompanying mods it'll be significantly quicker than a standard S3 and probably close to a mapped one.

Haldex does have its benefits when it comes to the fact that if the grip is there, all the power will be going to the front wheels. But when it needs it, you do have 4WD and the extra grip that goes with it. You can also get Haldex controllers to change the split of power and remap the specific ECU to what you want.

It's not just a body kit however, the S3 has wider wings and quarter panels which is what gives it its look. There's many other things as well, which makes them pretty desirable.

Most things are very different on the S3 compared to A3, but the brakes are easy to convert. All you need is carriers and discs. Although the general consensus is that it's not a worth while upgrade and to go for Cupra/R32 Brembos.

I love my A3, but I will be getting an S3 one day.
Thanks given by:
Looking here there and everywhere for a nice one of these still, found one on ebay, and the guy had the cheek to say hes not open to offers, so back to looking around. Cant sort my insurance until 29th of this month so im in no rush, just going to carry on saving and looking around Smile
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Months soon disappear. Trust me, it'll be the 28th and you'll think 'oh shit' and buy the first dog you see. Not that that's from experience or anything.... Dodgy
Thanks given by:
Im going to be prepared :p Having second thoughts on what to buy constantly, the seats with the 1.8 turbo engine are way cheaper than an S3 Sad
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Octy VRS will be cheaper too. Depends what you're after though, personally I like good spec and a good interior....the lower VAGs won't beat the Audi for that... However if you're not fussed by that, go for once of the cheaper cars with a cheaper interior...
Thanks given by:
Nothing in the range looks as good or will be as quality as the 8L. The benefit is there's less chance of anything else going missing as I'll have to steal an S3...
Thanks given by:
(03-06-2014, 09:25 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Octy VRS will be cheaper too. Depends what you're after though, personally I like good spec and a good interior....the lower VAGs won't beat the Audi for that... However if you're not fussed by that, go for once of the cheaper cars with a cheaper interior...

DONT get an Octavia. Utterly shite cars.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(03-06-2014, 10:23 PM)THE_Liam Wrote:
(03-06-2014, 09:25 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Octy VRS will be cheaper too. Depends what you're after though, personally I like good spec and a good interior....the lower VAGs won't beat the Audi for that... However if you're not fussed by that, go for once of the cheaper cars with a cheaper interior...

I said they were cheap (comparatively), not necessarily good. Tongue

I'd still go for the Audi myself lol, the extra cost really does show.
Thanks given by:

I wouldn't agree with that. My old one was a right trooper. Just would not give up and believe me if you saw how i treat my cars, you would be surprised lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(03-06-2014, 10:26 PM)Niall Wrote:

I wouldn't agree with that. My old one was a right trooper. Just would not give up and believe me if you saw how i treat my cars, you would be surprised lol

Wasn't yours a mark 2?
Thanks given by:
(03-06-2014, 10:26 PM)Toms306 Wrote:

I said they were cheap (comparatively), not necessarily good. Tongue

I'd still go for the Audi myself lol, the extra cost really does show.

Lol it really doesn't. The interior of my Octavia was basically the same as a Audi A4. Same engine as the older ones. Your paying for a badge.

(03-06-2014, 10:26 PM)THE_Liam Wrote:
(03-06-2014, 10:26 PM)Niall Wrote:
(03-06-2014, 10:23 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: DONT get an Octavia. Utterly shite cars.

Wasn't yours a mark 2?

Yeah good point. Ive never been in a Mk1 in all fairness so don't know what the quality of them was like.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Shite, everything breaks and costs 4 grand to fix, and they smell like stale glue.
Thanks given by:
Lolvo S60r? Great car to be honest. Massively capable!
Thanks given by:
Ah, I was also thinking mk1 (neighbour had one), don't know about the mk2 interior. I doubt they got the dual zone electronic climate and stuff like the newer Audis do though?
Thanks given by:
(23-05-2014, 05:05 PM)MrsMidnight Wrote:
(23-05-2014, 04:12 PM)Curt Wrote: Another car that I think you should try would be a Celica GT-4, if you can find a decent one in budget. Cracking cars, I will own one.

These are pretty epic, mate had one and the acceleration was nuts and could hold its own in the corners. That said he blew two engines and then broke it for parts in less than a year

EDIT: From Midnightclub, f*cking Emma.. ¬_¬

3S-GTEs are sadly an amazing engine destroyed by poor design.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(03-06-2014, 10:34 PM)Pebbles167 Wrote: Lolvo S60r? Great car to be honest. Massively capable!

Amazing car, love it, would have one in a heartbeat...

Insanely expensive to run, maintain and fix... You will more than likely have Haldex issues and the blocks crack for fun being based upon the 2.5l rather than the T5 block.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Yep, haldex issues are a big problem. So too is the 2.5 engine.

Possibly a 2.4 with a modest bit of work would be better? (in terms of cost/performance mix) No 4wd to go wrong and a tougher block? Smile
Thanks given by:
Aye so back to a T5, bet you FourC won't be working properly after 100k or so either... But sadly to get a T5 handing like a 3k e46 would cost you another 3k and you'd still be roasting the inside wheel out of every corner...

2.4 vvt me7 on a getrag box, in a 240 saloon... Now we're talking...
Thanks given by:
Liam, I know you had a bad experience but you had bad luck. You can't tar them all with the same brush, and they're all essentially the same car underneath so it's not just Octavias.

Oh and Audis are built better than the alternatives... I do have some experience in this area.
Thanks given by:
Older Audi S4's are silly cheap now, 6 cylinder turbo, not exactly 'nimble' but, they serve a purpose....

[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by: