Tuning for economy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tuning for economy
I've just taken ownership of a '99 Meridian with 169k miles on the clock to replace a Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 CDTi which I was using for my commute to work each day - about 55 miles of A roads each way - and the Corsa was regularly returning 64mpg brim to brim running on BP fuel with Millers additive.

What can I do to the 306 to squeeze a little more out of it ? I'm not interested in out and out power as my commute has no overtaking opportunities to speak of so I spend most of the journey pootling along at 55-60mph.

A remap has been suggested - is there anyone that can do it in Wiltshire/Dorset - and what else can I try aside from making sure the boot is empty, tyres are up to pressure and the car is well serviced ?
Thanks given by:
You have asked about economy in the XUD section...but speak of a remap?

So do you have a HDi or XUD?

If XUD, bosch pump and veg for epic cheapness

If HDi, a remap with fuel economy in mind can be done.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
It's a 99 car so I'm guessing XUD - in which case I guess the remap question is irrelevant ?

When you say veg oil, are we talking straight out of the supermarket or used/filtered and is it straight or do I mix it with diesel ? I'm browsing through the forum as quickly as I can to try and get the answers...
Thanks given by:
'99 could be either as that was the changeover year

XUD's are the older mechanical indirect injection diesels, whereas HDi's are the newer electronic direct injection common rail diesels. If you look under the bonnet, XUD's will have a big intercooler on the top (assuming it's a turbo of course) whereas HDi's will have a plastic cover and lots of wiring underneath it.

Look on the V5 if you're not sure - 1905cc with be an XUD whereas 1997cc will be an HDi
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2014, 11:53 AM)powerandtorque Wrote: XUD's will have a big intercooler on the top

It's one of them...
Thanks given by:
Either buy veg from supermarkets (75p per litre in ASDA at the moment on a special) or search for a waste veggy supplier and filter to one micron ideally through socks sold off ebay that work a treat.

I pay around 30 pence per litre for WVO which equates to around 150mpg at pump prices, not many crs out there that will match that, as for economy, my XUD driven steady runs at about 40-44mpg,

You need a bosch fuel pump to run veg oil, mines been on 100% oil since like June last year, no problems yet.

Cheers
Thanks given by:
Thanks Andy, sounds like a worthwhile investment if I don't have a Bosch pump already !
Thanks given by:
Definately, mine had a lucas but darren from here changed it for me, i cudnt believe how much better it runs on a bosch compared to lucas, plus can run veggy, when you start to run veg carry a spare fuel filter + tools to change in emergency as they'll clog up pretty quick the first few tank fulls as it pulls a load of crap from your tank, lol I had to get to a motor factors with a max speed of 40 on the flats and barely making ground up hills as it caught me out.

Cheers
Thanks given by:
I've run 100 or more litres of veggie through now and I've not blocked a filter. Still carry a spare though
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2014, 05:05 PM)pugmanxud Wrote: I've run 100 or more litres of veggie through now and I've not blocked a filter. Still carry a spare though

yeah once it's cleared the crap out it doesn't block up fast after that . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Oh right. Could it be restricting power at all sshould I change it as a matter of course
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2014, 05:20 PM)pugmanxud Wrote: Oh right. Could it be restricting power at all sshould I change it as a matter of course

no mate, you'll feel when it starts to clog up, like i say, once the crap is out they don't really block up much faster than normal . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  xud9te super economy set up? unclebeast 14 2,752 30-06-2014, 06:48 PM
Last Post: toseland
  De-tuning a xud for economy? Andy annear 18 2,492 20-03-2014, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Tom
  Fuel economy tips WiNgNuTz 30 6,645 04-10-2013, 12:01 PM
Last Post: silverzx