screw or don't screw that's the question!?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
screw or don't screw that's the question!?
Hi guys, I was just looking for some advice on my ph2 '99 D-Turbo(lucas) from some of u pros!Here's my cars story.. 130k current miles f.s.h and totally standard un-modded engine and fuel pump.I have receipts @90K miles for a 2nd hand engine,gearbox etc etc being fitted by citoren in edinburgh as well just says removed damaged engine so i'm guessing timing belt snapped on them bills for over well over 1k haha. the shell is a good 1 too.

The problem is..she burns a bit of oil (4L in 12 month exactly), u can smell it faintly when u open the car door to get out after a drive or when its sitting not moving while running. I am almost sure its the valve stem seals that worn out..the turbo seems ok (is there an easy way to check for a fukd turbo) there's no smoke coming the oil dipstick hole, even if u screw the lid off...the oil also a bit smells burnt. The car runs fine has never broken down or gone above 90c' ever. It starts 1st turn every time apart from sometimes after its up to 82c' occasionally it will miss the 1st turn but always starts within say 3,4 seconds anyway, don't know if this is related. The only real blue smoke out the back is when u start it after being left to go properly cold.. it just chuggs out blue smoke sounding like its hunting a bit.. but if u drive it till its even a bit warmer this is basically not seen again while driving unless u say drive around a town at 30 then the 1st bit of foot going out the road it will kick out a puff of blue smoke then as well.. its not burning a lot of oil as i said so what do uz think?? cud i screw it on the turbo it has to say 110-115bhp and last or will it just go pop? what should i do with it don't want to waste my £ because i'm brain dead with cars!![/u] Doh
no smoke no poke... so they say!Puke
Thanks given by:
Is there oil in the intake pipes (like take the intercooler off and see if it pours out). if so its probably turbo.

Fact is if its burning that much oil I'd be worried that your engine might be about to run away on its own oil soon.

I'd be tuning it, doesn't matter how broke the car is I'd always tune it.
Thanks given by:
(30-04-2014, 07:16 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Is there oil in the intake pipes (like take the intercooler off and see if it pours out). if so its probably turbo.

Fact is if its burning that much oil I'd be worried that your engine might be about to run away on its own oil soon.

I'd be tuning it, doesn't matter how broke the car is I'd always tune it.

thanks for the reply dude.. i will have a look at the turbo to intercooler pipe when its running at try revving it etc?? id easy be up for getting a new turbo on it just have to determine weather or not its the turbo 1st if possible.. looks like itl be getting screwed then X0
Thanks given by:
You sure it's not just leaking oil? Rocker cover gasket etc?
Thanks given by:
cheers sam! yeh it does leak like literally 1 drop of oil every time i park up from a journey hard to see where but if u look right under the car at the front bumper u can see a wee drop of oil on some rubber looking pipe maybe a u-bend bit, inline underneath the turbo area. I did have the rocker-cover gasket changed when i 1st bought the car a year ago, it did work for a wee while but not for that long and it wasn't all that bad as before.. 1 drip! would a very slightly leaky rocker cover gasket cause the blue smoke to come out of the exhaust tho..? i'm putting it to a garage 2 morrow so ill get them to have a spy on it. if it passes it m.o.t!! haha last year passed with 0 advisories (yes 0) so im shitting it for tomorrow haha
Thanks given by:
Tune it.

My advice would be to try advancing it.

Won't fix the oil leak but might help with the smoke/hunting.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(01-05-2014, 11:43 AM)silverzx Wrote: Tune it.

My advice would be to try advancing it.

Won't fix the oil leak but might help with the smoke/hunting.

hey that makes sense! I had never actually thought of it that way.. i am just away to fit a boost gauge then get it tweaked.. thanks for any1s help... has helped me alot!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Main Fuel Screw and Idle Speed ally406 6 1,680 28-05-2022, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Martin306
  Bosch pump fuel screw broken Forby 0 1,475 12-03-2019, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Forby
  Radiator bleed screw/ tap vanished, possible better solution simonh 4 1,399 09-05-2017, 10:06 AM
Last Post: simonh