Cleaning Oil From Concrete...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cleaning Oil From Concrete...
Can it be done?

Had a pretty major fail at my Nans, which resulted in probably half a litre of 12k old dirty diesel oil on the floor. Which I then made worse and spread it around the garage and driveway with a broom and hose. Dodgy Did use washing up liquid and bleach (and god knows what other chemicals Nan mixed into the bucket lol! Confused ) but is seemed to make no difference.

I was doing car stuff at Nans on the proviso that I didn't make any mess, and had managed to break cars, change gearboxes and remove and refit an engine without making mess, until now. Rolleyes

Anyway, I'm going on...TLDR - what can I use, if anything, to clean oily stains from concrete? I do have a pressure washer if that'll be of any help, but don't think it will be without some sort of chemical....

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
Barbeque/patio cleaner.

But chuck loads of salt and flower on it first to soak it up
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Bit late for soaking up... This was last weekend lol, not had a chance to do anything about it since though!

Hadn't thought of barbeque or patio cleaner though, hmm....
Thanks given by:
Any decent engine De greaser, use it on my garage plenty of times lol, 5l of gunk was about 15 quid, poor loads on it, let it soak, washed it off with jet wash, put more on and scrubbed it and jet washed again
Thanks given by:
I have tried a foam degreaser which cleans engines well but that seemed to make no difference here either. Sad
Thanks given by:
TFR will do it, decent stuff! I used to use it, made by a company called JennyChem
Thanks given by:
I take it that's traffic film remover? Quite a few on ebay but not by that company it seems. Sure that's strong enough for this? Could obviously use any left over on cars whereas I'd have no use for any left over patio cleaner...
Thanks given by:
Ive used it before, just need to give it a good scrub and pressure wash too, but also depends on the surface, is it literally concrete? not tarmac etc?

Just find the strongest stuff you can, patio cleaner will probably be cheaper tbh
Thanks given by:
the trf i use has lifted the tar black colour out the path where i wash my car so carfull with that stuff neat Wink
Thanks given by:
(26-04-2014, 11:33 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: Ive used it before, just need to give it a good scrub and pressure wash too, but also depends on the surface, is it literally concrete? not tarmac etc?

Just find the strongest stuff you can, patio cleaner will probably be cheaper tbh

Ah ok, yeah its concrete, grey with lumps of stone in it lol...

Don't wanna buy something cheap that doesn't work though.

(26-04-2014, 11:42 AM)cully Wrote: the trf i use has lifted the tar black colour out the path where i wash my car so carfull with that stuff neat Wink

That sounds ideal then haha. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
The cheapest shitty washing up powder you can find.
Sprinkle generously on the oil.
Then get boiling water to mix it.
Leave it for a bit
Then give it a brush and wash off with water
Thanks given by:
Jeyes Fluid worked for when I dropped oil on a drive I was borrowing from a friend.
Dilute it 1:1 with water or use neat if you have enough.
Brush it generously over the oil
Leave it for a while
Give it another application really scrubbing.
Leave it a while then scrub with fresh water.

Doing that twice got rid of all traces of oil and it was a fair amount.
Thanks given by:
Doesn't look half as bad in the pic, its splattered up the drive as well! Confused

[attachment=15747]

Now there's too many options lol Sad
Thanks given by:
TFR will easily get that out
Thanks given by:
Wet it, sprinkle washing up powder on, leave it to soak for 5 mins then scrub with wire brush and rinse :-)
Thanks given by:
I always find caustic soda is ideal for removing heavily grind concrete flooring,just make sure you wear the proper rubber gloves and don't get this on your skin,stiff yard broom to work the soda into the stained flooring and hose down.
Thanks given by:
Haven't read the other replies but you can actually buy driveway cleaner that is designed for spills etc.
No idea how good it is though.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
TFR! We had some green stuff at work would clean anything. One of the lads soaked his rocker cover in it for a week, wasn't much left of it when he rinsed it off.
Thanks given by:
Squirt washing up liquid on the patch, leave it a few minutes the rinse it off with water and a brush.

The washing up liquid lifts up the oil.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I went through half a bottle of washing up liquid lol, it made no difference. Will get some TFR...
Thanks given by:
Echo what others have said about washing powder, it's cheap too
Thanks given by:
FFS, how can I make a decision when people say both is good haha. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Pinch a bit if washing power from by the washing machine. Try it on a small patch and see if ut works. Then decide
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Another vote for washing up liquid, a good scrub boiling water and another good scrub then repeat. You will go through a fair bit though.

If not brick acid allegedly works well
Thanks given by:
Wash powder, bit of boiling water to make a paste, scrub it in and leave it a while before rinsing off.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Washing powder.

Make sure it's biological. Biological powder eats the oil.

I tipped 5 litres of oil all over the drive a few years back, mopped up the worst with paper towel etc and literally got an entire box of cheap crappy wash powder from Lidl/Aldi and sprinkled it all over it, boiling water and scrub - you'd never know it happened.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Hmm, no washing powder (liquid tabs ftl!) but did find some patio cleaner, and took the jetwash down tonight. I think it's shifted some of it tbf, but wont know really until it dries!
Thanks given by:
i use DAZ on any of my oil spills on the hardstanding behind the parents place, leave it to soak up a bit, sweep the majority off, and as above, boiling water and scrub / powerwash, cleeeeaan
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
+ 1 on washing powder.

Dad's landy's always leaking, plus I always cover myself and the floor in old oil when I do the oil change.

Boiling water, washing powder and a strong broom does the trick. Then just rinse it away.
Thanks given by:
Get some washing powder and mix it with boiling TFR? lol
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  invisible concrete post Fooby 10 1,924 30-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum