Dr_Jekyll & Mr_Hyde Estate Project

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dr_Jekyll & Mr_Hyde Estate Project
(01-07-2017, 04:51 PM)dr_jekyll Wrote:
(01-07-2017, 04:36 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: rear window slot for switch box?
Someone on the same wave lentgh!
Was my original thought as im not wanting big switches on show. Do actually have working elec rears tho. Got a ph1 center console tray so cant hide it in rhe center and refuse to chop it up as its the only one ive ever seen with no key pad.
Been thinking about using the ash tray just behide the rear window switches and fitting a stainless plate inside with the two momentary switches (mom/off/mom) so it can just be closed up and hidden.
Hardest thing to hide will be the iscolator for the system. Need it in plain reach, only thought so far is under my bucket seat.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

can you post a pic of the console area? (thinking cap on)
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2017, 06:45 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote:
(01-07-2017, 04:51 PM)dr_jekyll Wrote:
(01-07-2017, 04:36 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: rear window slot for switch box?
Someone on the same wave lentgh!
Was my original thought as im not wanting big switches on show. Do actually have working elec rears tho. Got a ph1 center console tray so cant hide it in rhe center and refuse to chop it up as its the only one ive ever seen with no key pad.
Been thinking about using the ash tray just behide the rear window switches and fitting a stainless plate inside with the two momentary switches (mom/off/mom) so it can just be closed up and hidden.
Hardest thing to hide will be the iscolator for the system. Need it in plain reach, only thought so far is under my bucket seat.

can you post a pic of the console area? (thinking cap on)
At work atm so this is the best i can do
[Image: a6845b49bd3f4ee47a3e45290128ecd0.jpg]
[Image: a4c6bc1bc03072c0c12be8e59e886a27.jpg]
This is what im thinking of putting it into tho[Image: 6cd14265fa2cbe75a604ed5bdb6048e7.jpg][Image: 742fd9664fd308e91b4a172f42cfafb5.jpg]
Should be nice and concealable then

Still Living For The 306  Rofl

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
205 1.9 GTI (Rust.In.Pieces)
306 HDI Stage 3 Estate (Rust.In.Pieces)
Thanks given by:
Not much to update as pretty much been doing mot work. Noticed the brand new chra's been piping oil out again..[Image: 2e089ce339fa381a1605b36a9578c8c1.jpg]
Stripped it down as ive hard a major boost leak for months anyway that was crying out being sorted.
[Image: a8f255e14cc78ebf4ee647e04d68ef5a.jpg]
Turns out the gasket inbetween the turbo and mani had let by tho pug were certian that they dont exsist for standard units so had to do an ebay buy.
[Image: bf6b19cdb18f948848af1ae4366a9ef9.jpg]
Soo finally bit the bullet after speaking to a few people and made myself up a new torques an4 oil line with a 1.5mm restrictor fitted to see if it help with my oil issue.[Image: 8a9af4cb934263ca1443dea17832976e.jpg]
Fitted it all back up. Unsure atm if its helped as my bodged up wastegate moved under load on its first journey and is not even able to make standard boost with the mbc closed. The amount of coal out the back made me think its not shutting off completley.

Only other thing to be done was brakes all round and handbrake cables. In true fashion one of the rear callipers has siezed again. Seems to be rituall now. Got a sneaking suspision it will bind up and fail just before as it normally does. Needs a new slider kit but cant get my hands on one soon enough

Firgot to mention that a did manage to get a flat floor made. Nothing too exciting but its all baby steps in the right direction. General muck up aswell of how im thinking of laying it out[Image: cc8fcbbe4eb90de0988a2c7311cfba1d.jpg]

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
Don't think i have ever seen a gasket on a 306 hdi turbo between the manifold and turbo tbh. Was it a genuine one you managed to get off ebay?

Im still a bit puzzled to why you seem to have had so many issue with turbos and oil leaking etc. Fairly play for sticking at it all the time and cracking on though.
Thanks given by:
(08-08-2017, 08:26 PM)Frosty Wrote: Don't think i have ever seen a gasket on a 306 hdi turbo between the manifold and turbo tbh. Was it a genuine one you managed to get off ebay?

Im still a bit puzzled to why you seem to have had so many issue with turbos and oil leaking etc. Fairly play for sticking at it all the time and cracking on though.
Mine had one on when i fitted it all up, prob isnt needed with stock cast but i cant speak for how flat the adapter is so just assists.
Tbf it all probably lies with the age of this engine. 240k so shes pretty old, unsure if increased blowby would pressure the oil up a little more but think its deffo a factor to look at. Finally been offered somewhere to swap the engine over. Tempted to try push my luck and see if i can use the chaps shed to build a fresh lump up to. Guys a fairly good family friend and lives a 2min walk from my house. Used to be into cars but dosnt seem to have passed the love onto his kids

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
Is the turbo sitting properly upright?
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
(08-08-2017, 09:20 PM)Danny Wideboy Wrote: Is the turbo sitting properly upright?
Yeah, gravity fed drain, 13mm id, no kinks or bends

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
Hmm. Should it have a restriction in the oil feed that is missing causing too high oil pressure for the seals?
Maybe a scavenge pump could help if not?
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2017, 07:14 AM)Danny Wideboy Wrote: Hmm. Should it have a restriction in the oil feed that is missing causing too high oil pressure for the seals?
Maybe a scavenge pump could help if not?
This waa my exact thought. Thats why ive now made up an an4 line with the torques.co.uk fittings. Starting of with a very modest 1.5mm but already seeing a difference.
Ideally i need a pressure gauge in the line to monitor it and get it set up correctly as all im doing is looking for visual oil.
Biggest concern is that when im pulling 26psi and the rpm of the turbo is at max the restrictor could starve the turbo of oil top end.

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
It's a journal bearing turbo - absolutely no requirement for an oil line restrictor unless your oil pressure is too high, they are regulated to 5bar anyway and rarely hit that when the oil is warm which is fine for a journal bearing turbocharger. Other people have run that same GT2052S without any problems in the past. A ball bearing turbocharger is different and requires a maximum of 40-45psi (3bar) maximum at full engine speed.

There's almost certainly another issue at play if the turbo is known good. Can you get a photo of the drain in place?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2017, 02:27 PM)Ruan Wrote: It's a journal bearing turbo - absolutely no requirement for an oil line restrictor unless your oil pressure is too high, they are regulated to 5bar anyway and rarely hit that when the oil is warm which is fine for a journal bearing turbocharger. Other people have run that same GT2052S without any problems in the past. A ball bearing turbocharger is different and requires a maximum of 40-45psi (3bar) maximum at full engine speed.

There's almost certainly another issue at play if the turbo is known good. Can you get a photo of the drain in place?

Best ive got without laying under the car in the rain.
Running the gt15 oil drain which was its stock setup. 13mm i.d

[Image: 1b1faf9dac07386b9af14dbd9da9e8ac.jpg]

Was talking to lapit at fcs and the other lads he was with racing. Was how the whole subject of restrictors came up. Did a little research and found some of the vag boys were running restrictors with them on there pd engines so kinda though ive got nothing to loose by trying as i needed a better fitting oil line.
Ngl i really think theres somthing wrong with the engine like you say

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
Havent noticed but....Do you run an oil pressure gauge?
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2017, 03:11 PM)mr_fish Wrote: Havent noticed but....Do you run an oil pressure gauge?
Not atm. Tbh not 100% sure where i would fit it. Wether it just sits in the sump or needs to be in a feed

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
Ive seen most on a sandwich plate between the cooler/warmer and the filter.

I wanted to fit one with an adapter off the OEM pressure switch but the heat exchanger pipes are in the way.
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2017, 03:20 PM)mr_fish Wrote: Ive seen most on a sandwich plate between the cooler/warmer and the filter.

I wanted to fit one with an adapter off the OEM pressure switch but the heat exchanger pipes are in the way.
Ive not even seen it down the back. Sandwich plates most likley easier for me as already running a mocal.

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
If you've been running with a boost leak that will cause the chra to leak oil as it'll over-speed the turbo trying to make boost. As Ru says, the restrictors are all for the ball-bearing turbos, hence why vag boys are all over it, because they love buying expensive shinies becauseracecar. The condition of the engine shouldn't make a difference unless it's pushing oil into the inlet, in which case try a catch tank.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(09-08-2017, 05:34 PM)Poodle Wrote: If you've been running with a boost leak that will cause the chra to leak oil as it'll over-speed the turbo trying to make boost. As Ru says, the restrictors are all for the ball-bearing turbos, hence why vag boys are all over it, because they love buying expensive shinies becauseracecar. The condition of the engine shouldn't make a difference unless it's pushing oil into the inlet, in which case try a catch tank.
Brethers to atmostphere to stop the oil as it was spitting alot into the inlet when i first got the car.
Would you say remove the restrictor then?
So far it does seem to have done good, all white/grey smoke has vanished.
Managed to spring another boost leak earlier but believe its just a hose as had to remove one yestoday to correct the opperating angle of the wastegate.

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
I've just noticed the wastegate actuator angle!! Is that supposed to actually work lol!?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2017, 10:54 AM)Ruan Wrote: I've just noticed the wastegate actuator angle!! Is that supposed to actually work lol!?
That was an experimental lash up over a year ago that worked and has actually lasted some how! Always planned to re do it but when i went back to it i just couldnt see how id fit anything else down there! Its opperating on a gt15 actuator as i couldnt fit the 52s one down there. The actuall bracket on the cold side had to be shaven off to clock it correct and miss the bulkhead.
With this dodgey setup it boosts 1bar dead with the mbc shut off

Would be intrested to see how frostys got his to fit. Just struggled to get my head around the limited space.

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
Might be why your turbo keeps busting as well that wastgate if it isnt operating correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Hmm fair one. May have to re evaluate it

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
yeah madness, just need to rotate the wastegate tab 90 degree so it isn't just fighting itself close. or weld another tab on at 90 degree
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2017, 01:57 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: yeah madness, just need to rotate the wastegate tab 90 degree so it isn't just fighting itself close. or weld another tab on at 90 degree
Dont mean to sound retarded but could you sketch up what you mean? That pics showing the old oil feed but gained some room from the new one

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2017, 01:59 PM)dr_jekyll Wrote:
(10-08-2017, 01:57 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: yeah madness, just need to rotate the wastegate tab 90 degree so it isn't just fighting itself close. or weld another tab on at 90 degree
Dont mean to sound retarded but could you sketch up what you mean? That pics showing the old oil feed but gained some room from the new one

At present, that will be holding it either open or shut to some extent. The wastegate is supposed to move either left/right.. crude paint drawing.. arrow on the actuator is the way it will be moving on/off boost, which as you can see means it won't be opening or closing the wastegate flap atm

[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2017, 02:12 PM)Midnightclub Wrote:
(10-08-2017, 01:59 PM)dr_jekyll Wrote:

At present, that will be holding it either open or shut to some extent. The wastegate is supposed to move either left/right.. crude paint drawing.. arrow on the actuator is the way it will be moving on/off boost
Ahhh right im with you. The actuator isnt actually run off axis. The stroke is still almost perfectly linear.
The L bracket you see attatched to the wastegate arm was needed for the additional clearance.
To try prevent it twisting on the wastegate arm it was drilled and ground to as closer tolerance i could without it binding on the arm when moving.

Its actually holding it shut with preload in that picture. Preload is set at max which relates to 1bar of boost pressure

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:

you want your actuator arm to be at this angle to the wastegate tab

yours is straight on

be like trying to open a door by pushing along the edge when its closed - rather than on the face of it
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2017, 02:24 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: you want your actuator arm to be at this angle to the wastegate tab

yours is straight on

be like trying to open a door by pushing along the edge when its closed - rather than on the face of it

[Image: 0e012c4897a89656190d41a382cb4cf9.jpg]

Ahh ok think im with you. This prob shows how it sits abit better

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2017, 02:50 PM)dr_jekyll Wrote:
(10-08-2017, 02:24 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: you want your actuator arm to be at this angle to the wastegate tab

yours is straight on

[Image: 0e012c4897a89656190d41a382cb4cf9.jpg]

Ahh ok think im with you. This prob shows how it sits abit better

reveals all yah, should be fine!
Thanks given by:
Yeah that makes sense now, oil line was hiding where it connected in the other pic
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Lol phew, yeah, OK!

Was going to say!!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up 306 estate. Daily that became a project danmartin123 2 2,874 04-03-2016, 05:02 PM
Last Post: danmartin123
  Cully's Stage 1 HDI Estate ongoing Project cully 38 22,763 11-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Project Daily Wagon! Y418AKH HDI Estate JamesG 44 15,466 06-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Last Post: JamesG