Hammer time ... no wait MOT time, err same thing!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hammer time ... no wait MOT time, err same thing!
Alright ladies I think this has come up before on that other forum but anyways!

Right so got a new car as some of you might have seen (getting some actual pictures up in a bit) anyways the basic point is it wont pass its MOT at the moment, theres a bulb gone and windscreen is cracked. However I don't know what else might be an MOT fail so my idea was to have it MOT'd even with the fail items, then I'll find out everything that needs doing to it then can just get it retested in a week for free.

However I'm not sure about the new MOT rules, but if a car fails its MOT are you technically still allowed to drive it on the old one!?!?

Cheers,
1st - Diablo 306 1.9 N/A Diesel - Failed Gearbox
2nd - Diablo 306 1.9 N/A Diesel - At 225,000 miles the engine fell out
3rd - Diablo 306 Sedan 1.9 Turbo Diesel - Rust bucket
4th - Cherry Red 306 Sedan 1.9 Turbo Diesel - Crashed 6 days after buying, Bah!
Thanks given by:
This is the mazda 6?
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Megamonkey Wrote:Alright ladies I think this has come up before on that other forum but anyways!

Right so got a new car as some of you might have seen (getting some actual pictures up in a bit) anyways the basic point is it wont pass its MOT at the moment, theres a bulb gone and windscreen is cracked. However I don't know what else might be an MOT fail so my idea was to have it MOT'd even with the fail items, then I'll find out everything that needs doing to it then can just get it retested in a week for free.

However I'm not sure about the new MOT rules, but if a car fails its MOT are you technically still allowed to drive it on the old one!?!?

Cheers,

You can still drive it on the old MOT but you are advised to get all the issues fixed, it says that on the MOT certificate itself
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Midnightclub Wrote:
Megamonkey Wrote:Alright ladies I think this has come up before on that other forum but anyways!

Cheers,

You can still drive it on the old MOT but you are advised to get all the issues fixed, it says that on the MOT certificate itself
They changed them then because my mate had his car.mot'd 3 days ago and still had a month to run on his "old" mot. Obv he could drive it home and so on but it viod his current mot even thoigh he had a month on it
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
According to the DVLA:

"An MOT certificate is valid for 12 months. However, of your vehicle fails the test within this period and you do not rectify the problem, then technically you are driving an unroadworthy vehicle and if stopped, subject to a £2500 fine and 3 points. However, once the problem is rectified, then the original MOT certificate is still valid and you do not need to have the car retested."
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
I can take a picture of my MOT certificate if you want? I only had it MOT'd last week

EDIT: Article by confused.com with info from VOSA: http://www.confused.com/news-views/blog ... failed-mot
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If you took your car to be mot'd at 11 months and it never failed, you never were allowed to still drive it for the rest of the month. It's always been illegal however they had no way of enforcing it. Now they do so I really wouldn't do it.
You can still drive it home though. That's always been ok providing you don't detour a stupid way from your house lol.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Yeah this is the Mazda 6 ...

If you could midnight that'd be good.

Tho however as I understand it, its a no because even without an MOT fail sheet its stilll not allowed to drive a car with a fault ... its basically that law that state you have to keep your car well maintained condition?? Which is a bit harsh for anyone that doesn't know anything about cars as they can get fined if they have something wrong and haven't noticed it!

EDIT - To be fair if they found something serious on my MOT I wouldn't drive it and would get it fixed/scrapped depending on the cost right away ... what I was thinking of is have the MOT this weekend, fix everything in the week and MOT it again the weekend after. A bulb is an easy fix ... the windscreen will take a little bit of time ... just really wanted to know if there was anything else wrong, I suspect there isn't anything serious but you never know
Thanks given by:
It's within reason tbh. As your taught when you do your test, you should.check fluids and bulbs daily (although I'm sure the only person that does this is Tom with his pre flight check sheet) but anything more than that and they can't really do you unless its something blatently obvious.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Niall Wrote:It's within reason tbh. As your taught when you do your test, you should.check fluids and bulbs daily (although I'm sure the only person that does this is Tom with his pre flight check sheet) but anything more than that and they can't really do you unless its something blatently obvious.

Meh, I usually check every couple of weeks anyways otherwise you'll spend all your time checking which is daft!

Another quick question while I'm at it ... does the new MOT include for warning lights, as my Airbag warning light is on (apprently it flashes when your battery is on its way out, which it is and if theres a problem with the system). I know ABS and stability control now have to be tested, just wondering if that was too!
Thanks given by:
I thought it was always the case that the only place you could drive a car with no MOT was t a MOT center for a pre booked appointment or to a garage to get any issues fixed (providing its safe to do so)
Thanks given by:
Yep all warning lights are a failure now.

And dum, you are allowed to drive a car onto another garage or home if it fails.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Niall Wrote:Yep all warning lights are a failure now.

And dum, you are allowed to drive a car onto another garage or home if it fails.

Bugger,
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oh well, time for a smile ROBCAT 1 1,668 24-07-2019, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  If I had £1 every time someone said.... ginge191 23 7,838 29-08-2017, 08:06 PM
Last Post: 7057sam
Thumbs Up Long time no speak sam 18 3,233 05-06-2017, 09:00 PM
Last Post: sam