Snapped Belt Damage?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snapped Belt Damage?
Not the DTurbo, don't worry. Tongue

Basically been offered a HDi with a snapped aux belt which took out the cambelt as well (this is getting common now Undecided )....thinking about getting it for the right price as I have a spare engine anyway.

Just wondering if it'd be ok to just swap the heads (valves did hit pistons apparently) or if the bottom end is likely to be damaged so better to swap the whole block/head assembly? My spare one is stripped back to just block so would have to re-fit manis/ancillaries if I put the whole lump in.

I cant see a valve being strong enough to break a piston (just maybe dent it a little) or bend a rod so just gauging opinions really. Smile

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
For selling it on?

I think if you have a known 'borked' engine but one bare one which is fine (seemingly) then the hassle of swapping the ancilliaries over would be worth it. Last thing you want to do is to replace the head (pressumably gaskets etc. symultaneously) and find it knocking from the bottom end.

Maybe worthwhile investing in an engine stand? That way you could dress the good engine - the knackered one can sit on a block of wood or something!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Selling on? Nah, I need another 306 ornament to decorate the front garden. lol

Yeah you're right though, better safe than sorry I guess. I don't mind swapping the stuff over, just didn't want to do it if it was completely wasted effort.

And probably not a stand, but I will have to get a crane. Keep watching ebay/gumtree for a cheap local one but none so far.
Thanks given by:
You will probably find the damaged engine has no more than a few snapped rockers, because of the design the valves dont tend to bend and most certainly it wont have caused bottom end damage
Thanks given by:
If you have a spare engine chuck that in

Whip the rods out of the f*cked engine sell them if there good and scrap rest
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2014, 03:00 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: If you have a spare engine chuck that in

Whip the rods out of the f*cked engine sell them if there good and scrap rest

Yeah I was intending to sell the rods if I went with that option. Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post