Crap in oil!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crap in oil!
Evening chaps, just wondering if anyone could tell me what is causing my oil to look like this?
[attachment=14640]

[attachment=14641]
I first suspected a head gasket failure, as my coolant level is also dropping, the light comes on every 100 miles or so after a top up, although it doesn't look like the usual 'mayo associated with head gaskets. I haven't lost any performance, it still lights the wheels up in 2nd if it is a bit damp! Also the last oil change was about 1000 miles ago.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Phil
Thanks given by:
Points to headgasket I'd say, some oils mix differently and may not produce a white mayo gunk.
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
Bugger, not what i wanted to hear haha! well i'll see whats what in the next couple of weeks, if it is the head gasket it will be getting scrapped!
Thanks given by:
If it's just the HG then don't scrap it. There's less and less 306's on the road and they're good cars, they just need some TLC!
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
Yeah my oh wants a 306
Thanks given by:
Well, im not sure what i will do to be honest, i am tempted to do the HG, if i do i will probably spend a bit more on it, do cambelt while im there, whip a bosch on and maybe even a td04, or i may just sell it as spares/repair. Not sure yet though!
Thanks given by:
Does kinda point to the headgasket, does it smoke white/grey?

Could be a blocked breather?
Thanks given by:
Hopefully will eithrr fix it or it can get fixed would be a shame to see it get scrapped
Thanks given by:
Thats either head gasket or the result of the car being driven a mile or two to the shops everyday of it's life.

Considering it's using so much water it's probably head gasket.
Thanks given by:
Just had a look over the car, the crap is only in the top of the cap, the oil in the sump looks fine, so could be the breather as mr.fish said, gonna whip the breather off and blast it out with the compressor and see what that does. There are no other things that point to the HG, no pressure in top hoses, no oil in coolant, no power loss!

Cheers for all the help guys!
Thanks given by:
I'd clean it out best you can blow breathers out keep driving it, if it Dosent come back happy days if it does probably headgasket
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
I was coming here expecting to see someone had had an actual crap in your oil... #devo
Thanks given by:
I have the exact same problem and symptoms
No pressure it top hose, no mayo on radiator cap or in the bottle, oil comes out sump just black as expected,
I left my intake pipes off when i replaced my blown turbo a few weeks ago and the breather pipe is full of that stuff, iv put the hose into a bottle to catch the crap coming out
Water and oil are definitely mixing somewhere as when i clean the tube out it is very wet and water sits on top of the grey stuff in places it can
Thanks given by:
Yeah mine had a bit of water sat on top before, not coolant, just plain water, will have a look at weekend when i have some new clips for the breather!
Thanks given by:
Have you got an oil-water heat exchanger fitted (between the oil filter and block)?

These can fail and allow oil and water to mix, giving mayo problems but no other HG failure symptoms.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
I don't think so, i will have a look after i have finished work, cheers!
Thanks given by:
Maybe there is a crack in the head or something??

Those breather pipes connect the head and the block, it looks like it's catching the water vapour there and preventing it getting any further into the sump.

Maybe do like LolBen and fit a catchcan to trap the water.
Thanks given by:
Doesn't that breather come off the oil cap and into the inlet?
Thanks given by:
Yeah the oil filler has a pipe connecting the head to it and a pipe connecting it to the intake before the turbo. I noticed when replacing my turbo that the rubber than connects the plastic pipes to the turbo itself had split almost completely in two, could that have had an effect which could lead to this as there's no suction to pull heat through the filler?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Running like crap! Mal 5 1,606 04-04-2014, 10:57 PM
Last Post: Mal
  Running like crap td_dan 6 1,318 27-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Tom
  Crap in coolant tank (not oil?) 306Puggy 0 921 21-05-2013, 08:01 AM
Last Post: 306Puggy