Light stalk loom...any help?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Light stalk loom...any help?
Exclamation 
So I thought id finally wire up the lights on the boost gauge (as the dash is half stripped anyway) to suddenly realise that ive never piggybacked anything onto the stalk before.

So other than confusion to which wires are which, my volt-meter has decided to vanish...so I cant even check the feeds...

so my question is this, which wires do I piggyback for
a) 12v constant
b) 12v switched - when head lights come on
c) best ground to use in same area
Thanks given by:
a) You don't want a 12v constant otherwise the gauge is always live and will drain the battery. Take a 12v switched from the stereo switched if you don't want to fit a proper switched live or tap into the ignition switched although personally id rather do it properly.
b)12v switched for lights - take this from the dash dimmer switch to the right of the wheel. If you don't have one, remove the blanking plate where it should be and you will find a connector with 4 orange cables. 2 on each pin. connect to any of these.
c) There is a earth point behind the throttle pedal.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(23-03-2014, 10:21 PM)Niall Wrote: a) You don't want a 12v constant otherwise the gauge is always live and will drain the battery. Take a 12v switched from the stereo switched if you don't want to fit a proper switched live or tap into the ignition switched although personally id rather do it properly.
b)12v switched for lights - take this from the dash dimmer switch to the right of the wheel. If you don't have one, remove the blanking plate where it should be and you will find a connector with 4 orange cables. 2 on each pin. connect to any of these.
c) There is a earth point behind the throttle pedal.

Thanks mate, I knew id get a quick answer on here Smile
the 12v constant is for the memory function on the dial (same as the stereo) so I suppose I could tap into the memory cable on the back of the head unit?
Thanks given by:
AH ok i see. Yeah you could do then as it will be a very low current draw so shouldn't cause any issues.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Here is the actual instructions.....not easy to understand lol!

[attachment=14575]

so im assuming that
Purple - switched source (so only illuminates when headlights are turned on)
Orange - dimmer source
Yellow - memory constant source
Black - ground

was just thinking to twist together the purple and orange, and conecting to light switched source, as im not bothered about the dial dimming. Hence my original question of just the 3 points lol.
Thanks given by: