Knocking noise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knocking noise
Well that lasted long Sad

Noticed today that once i warmed the car up, i get a knocking noise similar to a snapped belt tap. It only does this above 1500-2000rpm though which is odd.
My initial ideas are loose/damaged spark plug, cracked exhaust manifold/leak or bad small end bearing (not to convinced on this one as if it was, it would be there from cold and any engine speed). Any ideas?

It only does it when warmed up and above 1500-2000 rpm, is a similar noise to a tapper but does not get louder with rpm, only faster and sounds like its coming from the back or left hand side of the engine.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Are you sure its not the take off plate still catching the bonnet? Sounds daft, but the easiest place to start...
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(08-03-2014, 06:47 PM)Grant Wrote: Are you sure its not the take off plate still catching the bonnet? Sounds daft, but the easiest place to start...

Considering it does it when the bonnet is up, I'm doubtful lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Put a screwdriver on the engine and listen, like a stethoscope. This helped me isolate a duff waterpump.

Tried with the aux belt off? Sound like a sticky tappet? How many hours has the engine lasted? Get a video up if possible, stan on gti6 can probably tell you.

My original rallye engine tapped only when warm, but did get marginally louder iirc.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(08-03-2014, 07:14 PM)Niall Wrote:
(08-03-2014, 06:47 PM)Grant Wrote: Are you sure its not the take off plate still catching the bonnet? Sounds daft, but the easiest place to start...

Considering it does it when the bonnet is up, I'm doubtful lol

lol fair enough.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by: