Cooling fan, no low speed.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cooling fan, no low speed.
Righto lads and ladies, My friend Ryan with the phase one six only has a high speed fan on his radiator. Or should i say the fan only comes on at 105degrees and thats pretty darn hot. I had a look at the relays and they looked ok, i think i tested them but i cant remember. He only has physically one fan there (isnt is AC models that have 2?) But yeah i think thats it. How do we go about sorting it? Or what does the ecu go off to trigger the different fan speeds?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
You'll need to get a lower temp rad switch.
It's behind the passenger headlight and screws into the rad
Thanks given by:
(01-03-2014, 09:37 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: You'll need to get a lower temp rad switch.
It's behind the passenger headlight and screws into the rad

Does the '6 not have a low speed and high speed fan setting?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Just one speed setting on mine, although they are aftermarket fans.
Thanks given by:
It may be the same set up as the 205.it'll have a high/low speed resistor and they're all buggered.
Just get a lower temp rad switch so the fans come on earlier
Thanks given by:
Bump. We were talking about this the other day, he wants to put a switch in but i think it would be better if we could get the factory set up working properly, anyone got a '6 that knows whats spose to happen?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I had this. Bottom loom connector will be corroded, and the series 12v fan positive is broken (you can check voltage, theres an faq). When stage 2 kicks in at 105 the relays change to engage parallel fan operation, the second live switching in starts the second fan. I ran a separate 12v to the relay from the battery with a fuse inline, still worked 5 years later.

Guide: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5185.html

My issue with pic: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119690
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Hmm i forgot about that loom connector! Will have to get in there and see how it looks! Thanks bud will report back with whats going on.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
if its non ac then it will have or should have a resistor for the low speed which is clipped where the second fan would sit.
Thanks given by:
Looking at this now, its non ac so has one relay and one fan and only high speed setting. Attempting to run a switch so its manual but its not going so well either.

The resistor in the fan cowling had no resistance when checked with a meter across any of the pins, does that mean its fooked?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by: