MPG...in the real world...for GTI6/S16/Rallye boys

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MPG...in the real world...for GTI6/S16/Rallye boys
Full tank in my 1.6 16V Astra MK4 I got 150 that was HAMMERING it, driving it normally I got about 250 from it, that was straight through pipe, cone air filter, re-mapped (even though it didn't make a difference just seen fuel use DROP)

With Tinie's car she can get 200 miles from £25 and that's a 1.4 8V 306 (with her driving) with me driving it I barely get 100 miles from £25, I just drive around in second and third when driving it around town and then motorway it's normally 3rd and 4th, lol

I'd hate to see what it'd be like if I had a GTi-6, I'd be stopping every few miles to fill the tank, lol oh well like stated on here before, don't buy a GTi-6 for MPG cause you'll be disapointed for sure!
Thanks given by:
(26-02-2014, 01:41 PM)JethroJay Wrote: Full tank in my 1.6 16V Astra MK4 I got 150 that was HAMMERING it, driving it normally I got about 250 from it, that was straight through pipe, cone air filter, re-mapped (even though it didn't make a difference just seen fuel use DROP)

With Tinie's car she can get 200 miles from £25 and that's a 1.4 8V 306 (with her driving) with me driving it I barely get 100 miles from £25, I just drive around in second and third when driving it around town and then motorway it's normally 3rd and 4th, lol

I'd hate to see what it'd be like if I had a GTi-6, I'd be stopping every few miles to fill the tank, lol oh well like stated on here before, don't buy a GTi-6 for MPG cause you'll be disapointed for sure!

yeah as you've just proved if you drive like a twat all the time you probably not going to see anymore that 300 miles out of a tank.But you don't 400-450 is achievable which is'nt half bad.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(26-02-2014, 01:41 PM)JethroJay Wrote: Full tank in my 1.6 16V Astra MK4 I got 150 that was HAMMERING it, driving it normally I got about 250 from it, that was straight through pipe, cone air filter, re-mapped (even though it didn't make a difference just seen fuel use DROP)

Is there a reason why you drive everywhere in the wrong gear? lmao
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(26-02-2014, 04:31 PM)RetroPug Wrote:

Is there a reason why you drive everywhere in the wrong gear? lmao

Hang out you havent got a licence have you jethrojay? Huh

Oh and i have no idea what MPG me and ozone managed lol

I know that there was plenty of spirited driving, it was 110 miles each way and we used just under £40 of fuel @ £1.31 a litre.

Anyone with a brain wanna do the maths? lol

Most economical performance car i have owned is the Mk1 Clio 16v / Williams as it has a twin butterfly throttle body Big Grin quiet when you need it too be and endless amounts of BWARP when you want it Wink
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
The gti6 doesn't seem half that bad on fuel mixed driving, sat in 6th on the motorway I'd reckon 40mpg is easily achievable.

My 16v 106 can go as low as 10 mpg if you're reenacting a stage of the monte Carlo rally, but on a trip to the Xmas meet in Milton Keynes it returned 32mpg, not great but for a 1.6 16v on a short ratio box and running incredibly rich I was pleased lol

Worst car I can think of in terms of 16v pugs, 206gti 180. Could not get more than 28mpg on a run, constantly having to thrash it to get anywhere due to the rather strange vvc system Peugeot decided to use on those engines
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(26-02-2014, 06:56 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Oh and i have no idea what MPG me and ozone managed lol

I know that there was plenty of spirited driving, it was 110 miles each way and we used just under £40 of fuel @ £1.31 a litre.

Anyone with a brain wanna do the maths? lol

Don't need a brain when you have internet. Wink 32.7mpg, though it doesn't sound overly accurate lol.

Topped up the 1.8 today, 78 miles....£14.35 (127.9/l) = 31.6mpg. Undecided Havent driven overly hard or in traffic either, just some B road and dual carriageway. Dodgy Oh dear.
Thanks given by:
Round by me fuel economy is about the same whatever you drive as its all up hill and stop start, loads of braking, loads of speeding back up etc.

In a small engined diesel (206 1.4 HDi for instance) you struggle around everywhere and it ends up being worse!

In a large engined small (ish) petrol car (306 rallye for instance Wink ) i can cruise everywhere at a steady speed in 6th gear without labouring the engine or having to rag it Smile

Hence why i got rid of my 'economical' focus TDDI and switched immediately back to petrols!
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Lol, its not the same round here tbh. My averages are roughly this so far...

1.4 306 - 45mpg
1.8 306 - 35mpg
Golf TDI130 - 55mpg
Mapped Golf - 60mpg
106 NAD - 65mpg
1.8 Avensis - 42mpg
Hdi estate - 50mpg
Vectra 150 CDTi - 47mpg

So diesel is more economical than petrol for me...but I agree with the 1.4HDi lol, learned to drive in one and it was shocking on fuel as it took so much to get it to speed.
Thanks given by:
It boils my piss all the "people" who go on about how wonderful 1. 2 corsas and the like are, "so cheap to run and cheap insurance" etc etc

Reality, you have to rag the shit out of miniscule petrol engines just to do the same road speed as everyone else, I actually think woefully underpowered cars are far more dangerous than 800bhp 180mph rockets, purely because they struggle to get up to speed when joining motorways etc

I guarantee that anyone with control of their feet will be far better off in a big engined car, better mpg, less dangerous to other road users etc

Tax has ruined driving for everyone :-(

Rant over haha
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I agree.

However the latest generation of little engines are epic, fords 1.0ltr turbo for instance in the festa, 125bhp and 60+mpg. That'll do.

Still prefer my 150bhp+ 2.1, 55mpg and 35p a litre fuel though!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(27-02-2014, 05:14 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: It boils my piss all the "people" who go on about how wonderful 1. 2 corsas and the like are, "so cheap to run and cheap insurance" etc etc

Reality, you have to rag the shit out of miniscule petrol engines just to do the same road speed as everyone else, I actually think woefully underpowered cars are far more dangerous than 800bhp 180mph rockets, purely because they struggle to get up to speed when joining motorways etc

I guarantee that anyone with control of their feet will be far better off in a big engined car, better mpg, less dangerous to other road users etc

Tax has ruined driving for everyone :-(

Rant over haha

Agreed!

My sister has a 1.0 12v Corsa as her first car....and man is it slow! Doesn't appear to be overly economical either, but she doesn't brim to brim so haven't worked out the mpg properly. Plus, being a post Y reg petrol, the tax isn't even cheap! It's about £140 a year iirc...same as a Golf TDI of the same age that has 150bhp and does 55mpg. lol

As for slow cars being dangerous, they really are, and it was one of the things I really hated about the 106 NAD. Joining motorways, overtakes and trying to get out of other peoples way (when lorries move across the dually without looking for example!) was near impossible. Had so many more near misses in that car than I did the 180bhp Golf!

It's not the tax that's killed cars, its the emmsisons regs! They impact everything else. Sad

Also agreed with Piggy though, some of the very latest small petrol engines are epic, small boosted petrols are the way forwards imo.
Thanks given by:
Tom my ex had 1.2 16v on 51 plate it was £90 for 6 months tax and used loads of fuel.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(27-02-2014, 05:22 PM)Piggy Wrote: I agree.

However the latest generation of little engines are epic, fords 1.0ltr turbo for instance in the festa, 125bhp and 60+mpg. That'll do.

Still prefer my 150bhp+ 2.1, 55mpg and 35p a litre fuel though!

Or similar technology in their 1.6 engine with 170-180bhp or so from memory, which still gets bloody good MPG being turbocharged etc.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Vehicle tax being based on emmissions makes absolute no sense whatsoever! just another reason to scam money out of people.

For example you could buy a prius and do 60k miles in a year paying precisely f*ck all!

Or you could buy an immaculate gti-6, drive it too the mot and a show each year and pay over £200 for the privelidge!

Should be more relevant like back dated from each MOT based on mileage covered or something to that effect
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(28-02-2014, 01:35 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Should be more relevant like back dated from each MOT based on mileage covered or something to that effect

As if clocking isn't already rife.

The simplest solution is one that already exists and is used - fuel duty. More miles you cover, the more fuel you use, the more tax that you pay. The bonus being that this also means that foreign registered vehicles also pay their share of VED and gets rid of a whole layer of DVLA bureaucracy into the bargain.

(you veg oil burning boys obviously win in this situation!)

Remember that in this country we're quite lucky with our VED levels - you should see the eye-watering amounts some European countries charge compared to us.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
I know what i wrote was just an idealistic world idea but you grasp what i was trying to say Smile

Irelands tax is incredibly horrendous! Incorporating VED into fuel duty is the only real solution! Veg / electric bummers win then so still has an emissions element Tongue
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Just to update this, as I said I would....

I've been driving pretty hard, not for economy at all, and the red light has just come on at 405 miles....#I know the red lights aren't totally accurate but I can't imagine getting half that unless I drove in 2nd everywhere. lol
Thanks given by:
I managed 525miles on the last 45litre fill Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(17-03-2014, 08:11 PM)Piggy Wrote: I managed 525miles on the last 45litre fill Smile

But you don't have an XU petrol... Confused

That's pretty good anyway though!
Thanks given by:
(17-03-2014, 08:26 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(17-03-2014, 08:11 PM)Piggy Wrote: I managed 525miles on the last 45litre fill Smile

But you don't have an XU petrol... Confused

That's pretty good anyway though!

I know...Im gloating lol

...but im comparing I guess...is it really worth me getting something with petrol bwarps if they are "ok" on mpg, when maybe they aint all that good, I can get those mpgs and still have gti power/more torque
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
It's not really about the power figure though.

I've actually found the 1.8 good fun, it's not quick, and it doesn't even hold the road that well (Vectra could take certain corners much quicker!) but the revs, the linear power band rather than a 'lump' of torque, lack of lag and the noise just makes it a completely different drive to a diesel. The mpg is the only downside though, which is why I'll be going back to diesel again shortly lol.

At the end of the day though, its down to personal preference....
Thanks given by:
Basically, if you drive sensibly, a gti-6/rallye with all sensors working correctly etc. will give you okay MPG, on the motorway 38-40 is possible.
As soon as you don't drive it like an old lady it is very shit.

That about sums it up. lmao

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Lucky to see over 24mpg in the Datsun-200. I would be happy with 30+ in a 6. They were never built for economy.. Tongue
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't say it's very shit to be honest. I would say it's a typical hot/warm hatch, if you thrash a petrol it always has more of a detrimental effect on fuel than a diesel.

I stick by the fact that if you buy a petrol to worry about the MPG then there's no point. But as long as I can afford it I'll always have one, because it's worth it.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  gti6 rallye ac pump advice please thomson 2 1,345 18-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Last Post: thomson