The dog rough estate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The dog rough estate
(14-03-2014, 10:19 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote:
(14-03-2014, 10:08 PM)JamesG Wrote: Which wires were they colour and number?

Only thing needed is the little bits that stick out of the rear shelf so I can repair this one and also passenger rear arch bud if
Possible Wink

I'm not sure on numbers or colours, it was starting to get dark and mrs had dinner on so I was in a bit of a rush.

I'm going to be chopping it off, getting another rubber bit and loom from the scrappies tomorrow and repairing it properly. I've also noticed the N/S mirror doesn't go up and down, might be because of this??

I'm going to get a liner from a hatchback and modding it to fit. Would you do the same, shall I get you one too?

I'll pass on the hatchback idea bud I'll wait till I can source an estate replacement one will turn up and don't do what I did when I replaced the door looms and I cut every single wire LOL'!

[Image: tenyhuvu.jpg]
[Image: ForumSignature.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That's fine mate, I don't mind a bit of soldering.
Thanks given by:
Its worth it in the end to have everything working Wink
[Image: ForumSignature.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah, it sure is.
Thanks given by:
Got lots done today on the car.

Spent 2 hours this morning at the breakers yard getting bits.

I fixed a few bits, mainly cosmetic bits but I hope the glow plug relay helps with the starting as it takes a couple of turns for it to start then it should.

Bits done today;
Replaced the glow plug relay.
Replaced rear and drivers seat.
Replaced drivers seat belt.
Replaced drivers door seal.
Replaced the light stalk.
Replaced instrument cluster.

I didn't get any photos today but the interior is looking a lot more presentable now.

Tomorrow I'll be cleaning the engine and sorting out the leak on the inlet tract.
Thanks given by:
So you can see in the pic below the rubber donut that goes on the turbo inlet side is broken.

[Image: DSCN8526_zpsfdaf3757.jpg]

The engine and box look pretty leak free.

[Image: DSCN8534_zpsfa592b1d.jpg]

Both P bushes are split, I've got some new wishbones to go on so that will be sorted soon.

[Image: DSCN8532_zpsabf8279d.jpg]

What is the point in having larger pipe if they are going to reduce it that much when it goes in the box.

[Image: DSCN8544_zpsb08e5591.jpg]

GMax gas dampers fitted on the back but N/S doesn't damp at all, so both need replacing.

[Image: DSCN8546_zps6d1bfffd.jpg]

Fitted replacement seat Smile

[Image: DSCN8551_zps585ed5fa.jpg]

Tonight I replaced the drivers side loom as there were some locking issues and some other wiring related issues.

The loom taped up.

[Image: IMG_20140318_200648_zpsxjze3nkr.jpg]

Dodgy bits of taping

[Image: IMG_20140318_200822_zpsfln4y6n3.jpg]

Some wires that weren't connected that caused the N/S mirror not to work and the locking issues I had.

[Image: IMG_20140318_200930_zpsanqkopeq.jpg]

Crappy soldering that just pulled apart, also notice how black the copper is. I think this was the cause of my drivers electric window working really slowly. I think the bad joint was causing high resistance and burning the wire and not enough power to get throught the window motor.

[Image: IMG_20140318_201016_zpsusys75go.jpg]

Night shot

[Image: IMG_20140318_201526_zpsxc6qnaxr.jpg]

My finished loom all soldered properly and covered with heat shrink.

[Image: IMG_20140318_215807_zpsrzgo6xau.jpg]

I've still got a locking issue but now it's with the deadlocking, I can deadlock from the drivers door but I can't then undeadlock it but the remote central locking all works fine now. The N/S mirror works and the driver window goes up and down quickly.

I've got a strange issue with the interior light, it doesn't turn off when the doors are closed so I think I might have got a couple of wires wrong in the rush to complete the job. I will look into this tomorrow.
Thanks given by:
Definite dedication!

I do like seeing the updates...keep it up!
Thanks given by:
Thanks, it's not the most trilling of project threads at the moment. I just need to get it to a better standard before I can do anything interesting.

I've still got no radio or speakers in it. They are on a bit of a low priority at the moment.
Thanks given by:
Damn, that's clean underneath!

Mine doesn't hold fluids as well as that. Sad
Thanks given by:
Yeah it's surprising for a car in its state on top, the amount of miles, amount of previous owners (6) and the lack of service history (two stamps in the book lol) to be so dry beneath.

Update time

The car now has remote central locking and it all now works as it should, interior light and deadlocks all working well.

I didn't get chance to swap the FPR or do a leak off test.

Driving it to work tomorrow and hope it starts ok in the morning. I might try swapping the FPR in my lunch break.
Thanks given by:
Well it took two attempts of cranking for it to start this morning but it started.

Here's a video of it on PP2000 when I tried to start it.

http://youtu.be/X8AB3Lmm3Pc

I think the pump might be weak so I will be swapping this out as soon as I can with the R70 on I've got.

I did a leak off test in my lunch break.

[Image: IMG_20140320_131518_zpszuemvxgc.jpg]

To me that looks good but I only did it over 5mins. I thought there should have been more collected?

I also got the the FPR out to see what that was like.

[Image: 9bbe3d87-7d1d-4cd6-8f7c-629c44876f12_zps22820693.jpg]

As you can see it was filthy.

I gave it a clean and stuck it in, I was going to put my spare one in but it wasn't the filter tip type.

I shit myself when I took the FPR out as I thought I had lost the large O ring but later I realised from the photo there was a gasket on the outside of the unit and I don't think there was an O ring fitted. As I didn't realise this till later I fitted a the O ring off the spare one I had.

I also crimped and fitted the cable I got from the breakers so I've got a proper quick release battery clamp that actually clamps on to the battery terminal.

[Image: IMG_20140320_132159_zpsmbctwacy.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140320_132204_zpst2ybzky9.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140320_141321_zpsiwix6xbk.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Christ what previous life has this car had. Definitely looking up for it though!
Thanks given by:
It hasn't had any love that's for sure.

The paint work is in the worst condition I have ever seen. It desperately needs a wax, the paint feels really chalky. But that's a bit lower on the priorities at the moment.
Thanks given by:
I've not had chance to get anything done on the estate the last couple of weeks as I had to get an old kart ready to race for the start of the season last weekend.

The point of me getting this car was to use it instead of my hatchback for karting but this car was no where near ready to take on long journeys. So last week I had to take the hatchback.

A couple of shots of the karting.

That's me in the yellow kart.

[Image: 1381460_689785821082197_4197925346291398062_n.jpg]

[Image: 1535578_689787554415357_5466576827157310752_n.jpg]

The class is a classic series, 90's karts. I came 3rd in the final out of seven karts and I'm 3rd in the championship after the first round.

The next race is the second weekend of next month and I hope to get the car done for then.

Back to the car.

So today, I went over to pick up some bits from Chris (C.A.R.) that he kindly donated, he's old dampers, springs and old rear axle.

The plan is to use his dampers and when I get chance to raise the rear his springs so the car when done will be the same height as a Dturbo trim car.

The old axle will be stripped down and hopefully rebuilt with new bearing, seals and arm stubs. I'm using it as a practice axle.

UPDATE TIME

All I got done today was the drivers side damper and wishbone.

Boy was it a pain to get the ARB clamp back on.

The three year leaking damper!
[Image: DSCN8721_zpse773fc54.jpg]

The split ball joint and notice the missing ball joint shield.
[Image: DSCN8724_zps46fcc894.jpg]

New v old.
[Image: DSCN8726_zps8ada5910.jpg]

The crap P bush.
[Image: DSCN8729_zpsdea6de9f.jpg]

The Meyle P bush
[Image: DSCN8730_zps8079f7ab.jpg]

[Image: DSCN8731_zps2f714f6c.jpg]

Replacement damper and new wishbone fitted.
[Image: DSCN8734_zps19260430.jpg]

Tomorrow I'll be fitting the other side and the rear dampers that I took off my hatch back.

I've got lots of bits on order at the moment, timing belt kit, water pump, aux idler, aux tensioner, clutch kit, clutch cable and I'll be taking the engine out next week to clean the back of it, fix the inlet rubber on the turbo, remove EGR, clean up the bulkhead and fit the bits I've ordered.

I almost forgot to mention I stuck a stage +1 on it also but it's not made that much of a difference so the must be some serious issues with it. The good thing is that it's not cutting out so I guess the HP pump is ok?

There was a bit of a noise coming from the lift pump this morning so I'll be replacing that with a known good one I have.
Thanks given by:
Today I did the wishbone, damper on the passenger side, the rear discs and pads only to find more problems.

The dust covers for the pistons on both calipers are damaged, the sliders need greasing, the mounts axle at the front need replacing and the dam axle is shot on the drivers side!

What have I done to deserve this car?

I think the biggest plus on the car is that there is hardly any rust under the car unlike my well looked after hatchback.

After replacing the wishbones I've now found the tires scrub a lot more on the arches. Next weekend I'll be putting higher springs in so that will cure that.

A little tip when doing the passenger strut, ball joint or wishbone to stop the drive shaft popping out and pissing oil over your drive. If you tie a strap around the hub then around the front cross member or aircon pipe that will hold the hub in the right place while you work there.

[Image: DSCN8736_zps32a24ba4.jpg]

I also noticed someone hadn't put the front pads in right, the anti clatter springs weren't pushing against the top of the caliper. Instead they were going through the hole.

See what I mean.
[Image: DSCN8741_zps8f843b01.jpg]

Fixed
[Image: DSCN8743_zpsf2670525.jpg]

Looks like someone had been driving with the brakes on, the back of these pads look like they've seen a lot of heat.
[Image: DSCN8744_zpsac95a164.jpg]

Crappy mounts.
[Image: DSCN8745_zps3da2c2df.jpg]

Tears in the dust cover.
[Image: DSCN8752_zps33b629ab.jpg]

You can see the pads aren't wearing evenly.
[Image: DSCN8750_zpsa6f7d25d.jpg]

New pads and discs fitted.
[Image: DSCN8760_zps0affdb32.jpg]

I broke a trox bit trying to get the disc screw out, both sides were seized in there and I had to drill them out in the end.
[Image: DSCN8762_zpsaf4b00b9.jpg]

I also swapped the lift pump to try cure the starting issue. To my surprise when draining the old pump I found it to be full of sand!
[Image: IMG_20140413_175858_zps0zuzmkdp.jpg]

Well the pump didn't cure it Sad

The other things I now think it could be are HP pump, starter -spinning too slow (but I've been able to start a HDI on an almost dead battery before), timing or a dodgy FPS.

My money is on the HP pump. We will see next week when I replace it and I'll be able to check the timing then also.
Thanks given by:
This car has had a seriously hard life!
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Sand in the fuel!? Not sure how that could even happen tbh!
Thanks given by:
(13-04-2014, 08:32 PM)Ricky Wrote: This car has had a seriously hard life!

It sure has.

The only thing that keeps me going is I can see potential in it and I look forward to the time I can do fun things with it like audio and power mods but first I need to get it to a good starting place.

It's getting there and next week I should get a big chunk of the list done.

Inside the car it isn't to minging now. The damp in there was horrible, after every drive i felt like I needed to wash my hands when I got out of it. I still need to wet vac the carpet and go over the seat with upholstery cleaner, it'll get there.

(13-04-2014, 09:03 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Sand in the fuel!? Not sure how that could even happen tbh!

I know, but it's there.

Could the car have been a flood damaged vehicle, god only knows.
Thanks given by:
Some more bad news, the spare good axle I bought last year isn't any good. I was checking it over today and the one side the arm is seized solid so I can't fit that this week.
Thanks given by:
I had a drive in the estate this evening and the front feels so much better but the tires are rubbing a lot more on the front of the arches now. I think the new P bushes on the wishbones are pushing the wheels forward.
Thanks given by:
>> sand in the fuel is more than likely that it has at sum point been running on "blend".. not that i kno anything about that old game!
;-)
Thanks given by:
What do you mean by blend, Bio?
Thanks given by:
red i suspect.. allsorts of shit gets into the fuel when it gets transported in farmers /builders drums ..
its clearly not red now but it could of been running on it in the past ..
Thanks given by:
Today I've found that the front has dropped 20mm more so the front and the rear are sitting at 560mm from the floor to the top of the arch. I think the HDI Dturbo dampers must have different seating positions for the springs or the shoulder that sits on the hubs.

So I've got the engine and gearbox out today.

Tomorrow I'll be:
  1. Removing the EGR
  2. Replacing the high pressure pump
  3. Replacing the water pump
  4. Replacing the timing belt
  5. Replacing the Aux belt tensioner
  6. Replacing the Aux belt
  7. Welding the top mount cup
  8. Trying to slacken off and torque up clutch cover bolts (some monkey has over tightened them)
  9. Replacing the fork bushes
  10. Clean up and regrease the release bearing slide tube
  11. Replace the clutch cable
  12. Replacing the rubber donut gasket on turbo
  13. Cleaning up the bay a little and back of the engine
  14. Install engine and gearbox back into the car
  15. Replace the drive shafts

Not much to do then.

Here are some photos from today.

Just to note, we had an engine crane but we chose to use a 10 ton gantry crane to lift the gearbox and engine, a bit over the top I know but it had to be done for our amusement.

[Image: DSCN1065_zps1fc92d4a.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1068_zps4471e241.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1070_zps521d06fd.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1072_zps61d5ddc4.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1073_zpsd00c2ab4.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1074_zpse75eb57b.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1076_zps5823f8bf.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1077_zpsc4df588a.jpg]

The cracked top mount cup.
[Image: DSCN1904_zps19ca76dc.jpg]

It had to be done, the compulsory someone in the bay shot.
[Image: DSCN1906_zpse4b2fec0.jpg]
This is how I left it today.
[Image: IMG_20140419_182000_zpsshzehy6c.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140419_182011_zpsldc0kphc.jpg]
Thanks given by:
How did you get the rad out? Confused

I haven't been able to remove the bottom hose from the rad on any of mine lol! Ended up just having to lay it to the side still connected lol.
Thanks given by:
(19-04-2014, 08:54 PM)Toms306 Wrote: How did you get the rad out? Confused

I haven't been able to remove the bottom hose from the rad on any of mine lol! Ended up just having to lay it to the side still connected lol.

My god, how many have you taken apart? I just pulled the wire clip up then twisted the pipe to break the seal and then pulled. It was a bit crusted up with shit but it came off ok.
Thanks given by:
Well 3 in the last few months. lol But more previously. I just cant seem to break the seal, and end up damaging either the rad or the pipe in the process. Have take to just cutting the pipe if is a breaker now!
Thanks given by:
This is how they looked after splitting, pretty crusty.
[Image: DSCN1952_zpsf629f8a0.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1943_zpsf8055ea8.jpg]

So today I;

Gave the engine and bay a bit of a clean.

Before
[Image: DSCN1924_zpsc279caaa.jpg]

After
[Image: DSCN1992_zpsc48edc1e.jpg]

[Image: DSCN2012_zps3fcaf4e1.jpg]

Before
[Image: DSCN1953_zpsee04000e.jpg]

After
[Image: DSCN1961_zps0505ab4e.jpg]
I only gave it a quick degrease and blast.

Took the EGR off, I kept the cooler bit on as I didn't have a barbed 17mm double end connector or the old style water hoses.

The EGR pipe was almost blocked with the amount of shit in it.

[Image: DSCN1974_zps3d054422.jpg]

To my surprise I found a Gates cambelt kit installed, I replaced that with a SKF kit.

[Image: DSCN1971_zpsbdaea017.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1982_zps18e52435.jpg]

The water pump was also done, I wasn't going to but glad I did because the pump was in classic dog rough style, plastic vanes had broken off, only four of the eight vanes were left.

[Image: DSCN1981_zps73b1a52b.jpg]

New aux belt, tensioner and I did get an idler but it wasn't right. The crank pulley looked pretty new so didn't replace that.

[Image: DSCN1989_zps39e808c1.jpg]

[Image: DSCN2017_zpscc6fdabd.jpg]

The HP pump was replaced, bit of a shitter on this as the old pump had nice quick release connectors on it and the replacement pump had the barb type so tomorrow I need to make up some new pipe work for the return and the feed to the pump.

The rubber donut gasket was also replaced.

[Image: DSCN1932_zpsffe40bc2.jpg]

Old v new
[Image: DSCN1958_zps9fe7ecc8.jpg]

I've noticed the cambelt covers are the new style ones that are made in better less brittle plastics, they are 2005 parts.

[Image: DSCN2002_zps7baf821f.jpg]

Someones tried to bodge the thermostat housing to stop it leaking, it looks like the wrong size stat was in there. The new one I got was slightly too small to. I had an old one that fits right so hopefully that will sort the leak.

Looking back on the day it doesn't feel like I got a lot done.

Tomorrow I really need to get the car back together.

I'll add more photos tomorrow night.
Thanks given by:
Mmm, nice lol.

As for the stat, did you use the rubber seal that comes with it? I've had to re-use the rubber seal in both HDis as the stat didn't fit with the new seals supplied! Confused

Seems like you got quite bit done tbh though, its just that you have a few things almost finished (HP pipes for example) that make it seem like not much was completed... Good luck for tomorrow!
Thanks given by:
Thanks Tom. The stat seal was ordered seperately as I knew the ones they sent with it are no good. Bit pissed of I got it from cp4l £3 something when I could have got one from pug for £1 something.

Just hope I can find the right bit of pipe for the pump.
Thanks given by: