Rainsport 3 Confusion!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rainsport 3 Confusion!
Hi guys,

I know a few of you have got these now, and I'm slightly confused about them.

Had a pair fitted earlier (only bought a pair from camskill) but now I look at them, they don't look right! They're are no directional markings, just inside/outside on the sidewalls.

The wheels in the pic are as they would be on the car (ie left is left, right is right, faces outwards) and the tread pattern looks as though its backwards on one. The V, even though its only half a V should surely start at the middle on the road surface to throw the water outwards. Confused

[Image: IMAG3006_zpsd170f97e.jpg]

Anyone else had this problem? I expected to get one of each side as I only ordered 2.......but as said there are no side or direction marks as far as I can see.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Is there a rotation marking on them? If not, and its only outside and inside markings, i wouldn't worry.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Some tyres dont have rotation markings. Just inside and outside.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Well I can't see a rotation marking (that's what I meant by directional) but that doesn't mean there isn't one, might be just me being thick! lol

It's just that I understand why the V pattern is good for wet roads, and it seems pointless the way it is there that's confusing me.
Thanks given by:
(13-02-2014, 07:23 PM)Tom Wrote: Some tyres dont have rotation markings. Just inside and outside.

correct and then they are not sided like i suspect these ones aren't.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
The left one should be obvious. This is why I still prefer the rs2.
Thanks given by:
Hmm, apparently they are asymmetrical, and not directional, so can be fitted to either side as Niall says.

Seems odd to me, but at least I'm not the only one lol....

http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic...2&t=516778

Sam, the RS3 is supposed to have better wet grip (sharkskin technology lol), better dry grip (hence the asymmetric pattern) and be quieter.... If they live up to their rep should be better all round than the RS2 but we'll see. Smile
Thanks given by:
I find it very odd how they are assymetric. I want the ayer to go to the outside of my wheels not to the center. Oh well.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, it seems the water on the right tyre is actually directed into the wide bands and straight out the back. Whereas with a fully directional V pattern you'd get water from both sides being pulled into the middle with no escape.
Thanks given by:
How odd. That would throw me too - but let's not forget that they were developed and tested by people much more intelligent than us...so they're probably just fine the way they are!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Yeah you're right, I've done a bit of reading into them this evening (should've done before starting this thread in hindsight Itwasntme ) and there are various reasons behind the design. Just hope it's been worth it....
Thanks given by:
Ive said in another thread about these tyres, I had a set of avons (on the car I bought) that were 99% the same thread pattern and they were epic in all weathers. When It came to replacing them it was £100 per tyre + fitting...for 15" tyres i thought it was slightly expensive !
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
I'm sure they'll be fine, but that would annoy me I think lol
Thanks given by:
Yeah, that's common - Dunlop SP Sport 01s are the same - threw me as well when they turned up - WTF'd a bit!

Lots of tyres these days are "Asymmetric" but not directional..
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I had a mind f*ck moment in the tyre fitters and asked him a few questions about mine lol.

Indeed one does force water 'in' whereas the other forces it 'out'.

These are pretty good in puddles I must say, id be tempted to fit the out one on the nearside if your bothered (not sure what way mine are tbh) as this will be the most often water repellant one.

Its strange how I can drive fast through water with them on lol!
Thanks given by:
I've got them on my vectra estate and they are fapping amazing driving through puddles, it just goes straight lol.

As said tho as long as outside is outside then job done.

Btw they SEEM better than rs about shoulder wear, I've done about 4k miles on mine in 6 weeks or so, not exactly hanging about, and some lane driving and they seem to be wearing well
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2014, 02:44 AM)mcglynn Wrote: id be tempted to fit the out one on the nearside if your bothered (not sure what way mine are tbh) as this will be the most often water repellant one.

Think about that mate.....they'll be the same either way round! lol

(14-02-2014, 07:16 AM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: I've got them on my vectra estate and they are fapping amazing driving through puddles, it just goes straight lol.

Btw they SEEM better than rs about shoulder wear, I've done about 4k miles on mine in 6 weeks or so, not exactly hanging about, and some lane driving and they seem to be wearing well

4k in 6 weeks!? You need to stay in more lol...

I must admit, theres been loads of standing water about the last couple of days, and I've got RS2s on the Vec C, one with just under 3mm tread, and they are still awesome through the water! So if that's anything to go buy the RS3s should be even better....
Thanks given by:
Haha tom they wont, believe me Smile

One side will point water out the way and another will point it in the way Wink
Thanks given by:
Yes but swapping them over will have no effect, turn the picture upside down to see what I mean (though not if you're using a desktop haha).
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2014, 08:03 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(14-02-2014, 02:44 AM)mcglynn Wrote: id be tempted to fit the out one on the nearside if your bothered (not sure what way mine are tbh) as this will be the most often water repellant one.

Think about that mate.....they'll be the same either way round! lol

(14-02-2014, 07:16 AM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: I've got them on my vectra estate and they are fapping amazing driving through puddles, it just goes straight lol.

4k in 6 weeks!? You need to stay in more lol...

I must admit, theres been loads of standing water about the last couple of days, and I've got RS2s on the Vec C, one with just under 3mm tread, and they are still awesome through the water! So if that's anything to go buy the RS3s should be even better....

Blame the Mrs and ebay! haha been to Blackpool 1 day, Leicester the other day and to Newbury both times to see our mates, plus a trip to Scotland to see family which is 1k mile round trip with running about lol plus back and forth work etc ha
Thanks given by:
Haha f*ck life!

Mind f*cked yet again, good man for pointing that out haha! Apologies for the doubt :p
Thanks given by:
Well I'd hate to have your fuel bill then lol! lol

(14-02-2014, 08:12 PM)mcglynn Wrote: Haha f*ck life!

Mind f*cked yet again, good man for pointing that out haha! Apologies for the doubt :p

Lol, no worries, I thought exactly the same yesterday and physically swapped them round, before realising it was exactly the same! lmao
Thanks given by:
Having just looked at your pic again, could they be trying to reduce the amount of spray coming out from the side of the tyres into oncoming traffic? Whilst, obviously, soaking any pedestrians on the path. lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Best way to find out which way they go if theres no markings is find the DOT code on the side of the tyre, which is the week and year the tyre was made.

for instance if it was made on the 15th week of 2013 it would be 1513
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2014, 08:50 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Having just looked at your pic again, could they be trying to reduce the amount of spray coming out from the side of the tyres into oncoming traffic? Whilst, obviously, soaking any pedestrians on the path. lol

No as they are sold throughout Europe with traffic driving on both sides of the road.
It's just cheaper for them this way.
Everything comes down to $$$
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2014, 08:50 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Having just looked at your pic again, could they be trying to reduce the amount of spray coming out from the side of the tyres into oncoming traffic? Whilst, obviously, soaking any pedestrians on the path. lol

(14-02-2014, 11:05 PM)tigerstyle Wrote:

No as they are sold throughout Europe with traffic driving on both sides of the road.
It's just cheaper for them this way.
Everything comes down to $$$

Exactly this...only need one mould design. And when they're sold there's no issues with people getting sent 3 lefts and a right for example... The asymmetrical pattern does have various other advantages for handling and noise reduction though so not totally down to cost.

Plus Uniroyal is an American brand, so it'd be wrong for their own roads lol.
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2014, 11:18 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Plus Uniroyal is an American brand, so it'd be wrong for their own roads lol.

German/Belgian I think: http://www.uniroyal-tyres.com/generator/...ry_en.html

I think the american Uniroyal is a different company (just coincidence with the name)

But 'Euro' Uniroyal are owned by Michelin now anyway, it's all marketing, oh and $$$ of course Wink
Thanks given by:
I was made aware that when I ordered my uniroyal tyres they came from continental?

May have crossed wires but the guy in the shop said that (manager at the fitters)
Thanks given by:
(15-02-2014, 01:31 AM)mcglynn Wrote: I was made aware that when I ordered my uniroyal tyres they came from continental?

That may be more correct than Michelin like I thought!
Thanks given by:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/who...brands.htm

There you go, we were both right haha!

Continental owns them in Europe and Michelin own them in USA.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Uniroyal Rainsport 3 MY95 91 23,675 15-02-2014, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Toms306
  Rear beam mount confusion JJtheHITMAN 25 5,736 16-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Last Post: JJtheHITMAN
  Wheel Nut confusion... silestanix 6 2,514 19-03-2013, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Parksy87