Quick Stage 2 Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick Stage 2 Question
Im running stage 1 atm, would like stage 2, is it essential to fit intercooler to my hdi or can i get away with it, if i drive it nicely? does the intercooler actually cool the charge temperature down that much?
Thanks given by:
Yes you need an intercooler, else you'll cook the turbo and possibly melt things. I seem to remember ethanhp1991 tried this, see his project thread for the outcome lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ah ok then ill have to fit one! just thought id ask thanks poodle
Thanks given by:
Yes the intercooler makes a MASSIVE difference, especially when the boost is turned up. There's a reason why we stop at stage 1 power levels without an intercooler, you hit a brick wall that just wont go any further without smoke/high EGTs.

For my dissertation on HDI engine tuning I found that on a stage 1 with standard boost you could get intake temps up to over 100C in fitfth gear. With water methanold injection I think it was something like 60C, and with the intercooler (off the top of my head) I think it was something like 40, but that might be off a bit. With hot air it's just not dense enough to deliver the required charge of air.
Thanks given by:
Bloody hell!! Does make a massive diffrence, well I've put a post in the wanted section for intercooler and the various bits need to fit one so if anyone's got bits in there shed I need to fit one, I need bits lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  water pressure (a very quick question) Magenta Sunset 34 7,399 12-04-2017, 11:24 AM
Last Post: welshpug
  Quick question. bashbarnard 3 1,342 04-06-2015, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard
Sad quick exhaust question davec495 5 1,308 10-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Last Post: cully