The Sixxer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Sixxer
Hey there.

So I've been thinking for a while about whether to have a track car, whether to save my Fiesta and use that for that for track or buy another Evo and have a fast car for the road.

After many months of trying to decide I was offered a Peugeot 306 GTI6, I know many hate them, and tbh I aint a massive fan of them.

But when I was thinking about having a track car this was on my list of possibilities.

List

Clio 1*2
205 GTI
306GTi 6
BMW E36 328i

I ended up with the GTI6 mainly due to it coming from a friend, and picked it up for a cool £450 with a rebuilt engine with 30k on it.

The GTI6 is a very capable car, its got 182 performance at a fraction of the cost, and the engines are pretty solid, also another good point is that parts are laughably cheap. Just sourced some KW v2 inox coilovers which new are about 600-700 for a mere 300 with about 10,000 road miles.

So anyway. The car.

Day 1

Upon Arrival

[Image: IMG_5951_zps96aa817a.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5954_zpsd4f40cb5.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5952_zpsc688bbfe.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5953_zpse92fcc2b.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5955_zpsb86de7a0.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5957_zps74e28340.jpg]

I started stripping the interior pretty much as soon as I got it, bar from giving it a quick wash.

It isn't much progress but the car didn't arrive until late afternoon, so I did the best I could with the time I had available to me.

[Image: IMG_5959_zps9ad427c1.jpg]

Its just literally the rear half thats been stripped.

------------------------------

Now a few may ask what my plans are for it. Well simply the plan is to use it, I get sick of people building 'track cars' and tbh most of them never get to see the track and end up breaking them because they either get bored, or run of time, money or patience. This isn't going to be one of them projects, and wont be chasing magazine features, this project is for me to enjoy and if I had big plans and want to get a mag feature I certainly wouldn't a Peugeot 306.

I'm going in with the attitude of if it isn't broken dont fix it, and when it does break only then replace/up rate the part.

For now theres only going to be the basic stuff getting done, but don't expect it to be amazing attention to detail and then dont expect it be **** either.

News Update

Yo,

Just to keep you guys informed, I've still got the car, only thing ive done is stripped it out, but I have been collating parts for it and waiting for a some more stuff to arrive, and become available from a car being broke for spares.

The plan is to get more or less everything I need to build it, and just do it all. Reason im doing it this way, is because of if I change my mind or if somethings comes up I could just sell the parts off and dont have to bother about taking them off the car.

Anyway heres a teaser.

[Image: 576602_10151717519081837_1348768503_n_zps4b164fde.jpg]

[Image: 11194_10151717520091837_1889166_n_zpsd517aad3.jpg]

The updates should come thick and fast when progress starts, if all goes to plan.

Aiming to get its first outing hopefully this year.

Day 2

Please excuse the lack of detailed photo's, but we had a job on.

Cage.

Some minor teasers.

Made some progress today in a relatively small space of time.

[Image: 1476557_10151781260631837_1696547461_n_zps6d8e7239.jpg]

[Image: 1379879_10151781261791837_1119965617_n_zpsd0682c1e.jpg]

Fortunately for me the donor car is sat right next to my car Smile So pretty got **** all to mess about with.

Day 3

So progress over the xmas period has been pretty much 0, but yesterday was the first day back on the car.

Oh and the time had come to tackle the rear beam........oh wow. We started at 9am, and by the close of play it was still putting up a fight.

We had a 10 tonne puller which wasn't fully working properly, in the end we had to call in reinforcements by the means of the a sledge hammer.

And it still didn't shift it. So we got to buy a new puller and wait till next time to sort it, which will then make way for my new KW inox v2s.

Only constructive thing we did was take the terribly hideous tow bar off, and finish off bolting the cage in as I had ran out of bolts.

Done
  • Fit Cage
  • Remove old exhaust
  • Remove tow bar
  • Strip car

To do
  • Lower rear beam
  • Fit new exhaust
  • Fit new suspension
  • Fit new discs and pads
  • Fit braided lines
  • Fit seats and harnesses
  • Look at all belts and pulleys
  • Full service and full system fluid flush (say that when your drunk)
  • Grease steering column u-joint

So that's basically the list, as you can see I have not gone for any dramatic mods but then that's not to say they wont come at all.

I've done what NEEDS doing as of now, with added safety for piece of mind.

I want to learn the car, learn the craft, and learn driving properly, and THEN I will look into improving the car my way, and suited to me. Rather then go balls deep.

Not really much point posting a pic, but #becauseracecar

[Image: Untitled_zpsfbdf13be.jpg]

GOODIES

[Image: 1507119_10151859091396837_1925027799_n_zps4b23caf5.jpg]

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Day 4(Half day)

Hey guys, not much point in posting pictures of this particular day as there was not much to see, and its just gone over the ****ty stage of the build so to speak.

The rear beam has finally been taken off, completely rear greased, and lowered on KW V2's, the tube was in absolutely immaculate condition for a 120,000 mile car, looked more like a 40,000 miler, but it was a complete tard to do and took a total of 1.5 days, 2 10 tonne pullers, some extreme heat and a sledge hammer to do. Not fun.

So hopefully now the good stuff will come, so its on with fitting the new parts.

Done
  • Fit Cage
  • Remove old exhaust
  • Remove tow bar
  • Strip car
  • Lower rear beam

To do
  • Fit new exhaust
  • Fit new suspension
  • Fit new discs and pads
  • Fit braided lines
  • Fit seats and harnesses
  • Look at all belts and pulleys
  • Full service and full system fluid flush (say that when your drunk)
  • Grease steering column u-joint

I estimate about another 3 full days before she is ready for the track.

Just need to get some 888's / or AO48's ordered.

Day 5(half day)

Was pretty much on my own for most of it, didn't make as much progress as I would of liked as the front suspension put up a bit more fight than I was expecting tbh.

But the new KW's are finally on, I had some more other bits I should of done first, but its nice to see some shiny bits on the car, most of the stuff I've done isn't really worthy of any pictures tbh. I rebuilt the rear beam..........but thats it, I didn't paint/powder coat it or anything, as there's no point to me.

Anyway, after a bit of a struggle with the fronts, I need 2 new pinch bolts and 2 new drop links as I pretty battered them in my rock ape ways.

So parts will be on order Monday ready for next Saturday, which should see the brakes being put back on with some new fluid. And i'll be running the following setup.

Standard calipers
Brembo solid discs
m1155 fronts
m1144 rears
ATE Superblue Dot4

Will see how this setup fairs, but will possibly upgrade to brembo 4 pots / kad 6 pots or something similar.

I also want some new wheels, maybe some black pro race 1.2's, but I just cant bring myself to get them, my standard cyclones can do the job, so why change them? I could spend the money else where...like paying for a track day / fuel and just generally using it.

Pics, again very boring but not a lot to show, but the eagle eye theres some minor tell tale signs of other happenings in the unit, see if you can spot them.

[Image: IMG_6025_zps2a671fe7.jpg]

[Image: IMG_6026_zps1a533c79.jpg]

My bargain almost brand new KW's

[Image: IMG_6024_zps985da8c4.jpg]

Cage shot

[Image: IMG_6027_zps1f08fd49.jpg]

Messy, unfinished interior

[Image: IMG_6028_zpse0cb69c0.jpg]

Day 6

Well yesterday saw the completion on the front suspension with 2 new drop links as the old ones were butchered, again ive not replaced them with any aftermarket ones.

I want to see what the car handles like with near standard parts obviously other than the KW's I've fitted and possibly some AO48's.

Also fitted the new braided lines on the rear brakes, with new brembo solid discs coupled with some m1144 pads.

Went to fit the fronts only to find out that the discs that I had been sent were the wrong size! Sad
Thanks given by:
Fairplay, seem to be cracking on
Good work so far
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Awesome work

I'm yet to test out my A048's but heard they're better that r888's.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Looking really good,keep up the good work ThumbsUp
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the club and looks like some good work is going on there!
Thanks given by:
Day 7

Well, yesterday day saw the most productive day in a while and was a good come back after 3 weeks off.

We rectified some small problems that occurred, copper piped up some new rear brake lines as the original ones were corroded and leaked fluid.

No need to replace lines all the way through, because the lines are actually made of steal, and the rest of the lines were perfect, so we bled the brakes, and did a pressure test. Pedal feels awesome and bled perfectly first time.

We also put the exhaust on, and fired it up for the first time, tbh for a 1997 Peugeot it actually sounded pretty sick, we did actually find a small crack but upon start up I dont think it we cause us any problems.

During the week I had a bit of spend on my hands to buy some final parts needed.

[Image: 1098327_10151945442206837_425122407_n_zps7cd40da2.jpg]

OMP Subframes
Side Mounts
Roll cage padding
Passenger foot rest
Thanks given by:
Quick progress! Looks great Smile

When you planning on having this machine on track?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(02-03-2014, 11:11 AM)Grant Wrote: Quick progress! Looks great Smile

When you planning on having this machine on track?

Hopefully will have done my first by the end of the month
Thanks given by:
Nice to see someone do a track car from the right direction for a change. Wink

Looks good so far, will be keeping a close eye on this one. Will you be posting videos and info from your track days too?

Just to check, the front discs should be 283mm, it's possible a previous owner whipped the brakes off to sell as they're fairly sought after.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah I usually document my track days anyway, got my new go pro at the ready!

The disks are sorted now with the correct size 283mm
Thanks given by:
Awesome, will look forward to seeing those go up! Hoping to get into track days myself next year, it's all about the moolah though, apparently saving for a house is more important lol. Rolleyes
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(03-03-2014, 06:42 AM)Poodle Wrote: Awesome, will look forward to seeing those go up! Hoping to get into track days myself next year, it's all about the moolah though, apparently saving for a house is more important lol. Rolleyes

Tbh, it is more important! Angel best thing I ever did! Im the other side of it now where my mortgage has come down after the struggle of the first 2 years out the way.

But I went a bit mental and couldn't resist buying an Evo 6, which was 500hp.................not the most sensible buy. So I've now toned it down with a little GTi6, hopefully be back in an evo this year or next!
Thanks given by:
(03-03-2014, 06:42 AM)Poodle Wrote: Awesome, will look forward to seeing those go up! Hoping to get into track days myself next year, it's all about the moolah though, apparently saving for a house is more important lol. Rolleyes

I keep getting told this.

Just ignore it :p
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Woah that's some fast progress.

Should be pretty awesome when it's done.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Shes home!

[Image: IMG_6507_zps8a7919db.jpg]

[Image: IMG_6512_zps9a2779c3.jpg]

[Image: IMG_6517_zpsfb24da20.jpg]

[Image: IMG_6518_zps44352e75.jpg]

I do have planned upgrades, but these will only come at a time I feel the car 'needs' it. The main thing first and foremost is learning how to drive the car properly and get some worth while seat time.

I think sometimes people can overlook this and just expect to get the most out of there car straight away, and get caught up with which of there mates are faster etc.

The next step

Is pretty straight forward, book a track day!

I know that I haven't actually documented much of the build so far, but tbh I've sort of got the boring bit out the way, because its basically a slightly 'better' version of the standard car, and so far isn't really that interesting. But I'm hoping as I now update a bit more frequently it will make for better reading and get people a bit more interested in the car and what im doing with it.

Reason for me doing this is for my enjoyment and hopefully gee more people along to enjoy driving their? there? they're? car a bit more then building it, not that the build process isn't enjoyable but im just sort of..............reminding people they were building it for A reason, don't forget.

And...........

A little test of my GoPro. Be warned it is boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygRJoMPDLrk
Thanks given by:
Donnington Park

[Image: Donington-A.png]

So 18-7-14 saw my first track day in the 6 and indeed just driving it, I've had the car a year, and Friday was the first time ever I had driven it over 30mph.

So I was a little apprehensive in going out in it.

The day before was a bit manic as I was stressing about making sure I had everything ready, as this was the first time on a track day where I was 'trailering' my track car.

But with the day looming I lay in bed convincing myself something was going to go wrong, or forgetting something important etc and as usual I couldnt getting any sleep, with excitement nerves etc.

Arising in the morning I was greeted with rain, and upon arriving at the circuit and unloading the car the heaven's opened and it was absolutely slashing it down.

-------

Morning sessions

It was pretty tip toey in the morning seeing as the track was wet and my brakes hadnt even been bedded in, I just set about putting in some laps and slowly winding the pace up as the track started to dry out and I grew in confidence with the car. Was pretty boring tbh so not a lot to report. But just before lunch I was lapping in the 1.30's to 1.35's seems a bit silly timing myself, but I wanted to lay down a reference and something to better after lunch.

Afternoon

After lunch the track was bone dry, and I went out for a few quick laps without my trusty passenger, came back in altered tyre pressures and stiffened up my KW's.

I was just trying to get some laps in and carry on learning the car, what gears to use in which corners, as this is my first time on track using a 6 speed box, where as in my old white fiesta I knew what to use and where to use it.

By late afternoon I was getting in the groove and dialling in some quicker lap times, unfortunately these weren't recorded as my gopro battery died. I was hitting low 1.27's which I thought weren't to bad.

Anyway after shifting through my gopro footage, this is the only video thats slightly worth posting, just before lunch this was so weren't my fastest or most confident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBVHN3QM788

Final Thought

There's plenty of room for improvement, car and driver.

Need more seat time.

PS- any advice with the contrast settings etc with the gopro, cant see the track at all.........
Thanks given by:
Haven't looked at your video, but would guess it's down to the metering mode used on the gopro. Change it to spot entering and you should see some better results!
Thanks given by: