fuel non starter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fuel non starter
Been driving. Stopped for 5 minutes then came to start and it was turning over but not starting.

Its got diesel in but I put another gallon in and still nothing. I've removed the hose going to the fuel filter and there's nothing coming through when I start it. Could this be a failed fuel pump?

Why would it just stop? Incidentally it was making a weird noise under the car just before I stopped. Not sure if that was related.
Thanks given by:
In tank fuel pump (aka low pressure or lift pump) or failed fuel pump relay are the obvious candidates.

If you were getting a nasty noise from the fuel tank area then I'd say it's more than likely the pump - they can and do fail. If you hit it then it might come back to life briefly, but it will need changing.

If it is the fuel pump, then check the fuel filter housing for swarf from the pump breaking down. If there is any, clean the filter housing, flush the fuel lines and fit a new filter.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
LP pump failed, or fuel pump relay as above. Take bench up at the back, listen for LP pump priming, check the voltage on the pins is over 11V with ignition on. If nothing there it's your relay, if there is >11V it's your pump.

When my LP pump croaked i'd just finished my 60 mile drive home and was pootling to the chippy at 30mph.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Could be an immobiliser fault if it had been running fine until now, lift pump failures usually show signs of wear before failing completely.
Thanks given by:
How easy is a fuel pump swap?

I've seen the brown relays are a tenner on eBay so I could start with that. I'm not electrically minded so all the bits about testing voltage is confusing. I'm guessing lift pump is part of timing belt?
Thanks given by:
Its the high pressure pump that is run by the timing belt.

The lift pump (or low pressure pump) is under the rear seat on the drivers side. Very easy to change, just remove the fuel lines and electric plug then unscrew the large black ring around it and it just pulls out of the tank....try not to dribble diesel on your carpets though, it stinks for ages lol!
Thanks given by:
Do you have a part number or link to one?
Thanks given by:
When you say remove fuel lines and electric connectors can you clarify where I remove these from?

Also do you have a part number or link to a LP pump?
Thanks given by:
Lift the drivers side rear seat base and underneath you'll find a round black plastic cover. Underneath that is the low pressure lift pump, and you'll see the wiring connector and two fuel lines.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Cheers. I'm struggling finding the part on eBay though. Any ideas? Is it a Pug part?
Thanks given by:
Not many on there now, were loads when I had one for sale lol.

For reference, this is the LP pump.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-306-2-...19c83e8e21

Edit - One on ECP - http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peugeo...511&000148
Thanks given by:
Jeez. What about a second hand one?
Thanks given by:
If you can find a good 2nd hand one it should be about £40. Although obviously it's a gamble with used parts.
Thanks given by:
Or you could custom fit an uprated one check in the guides section.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
I done this, if your not tuning the car far you can buy my motor and use your own housing? If your going to stage 2 it then theres very little point buying mine.
Thanks given by:
I fitted a new one to my car thinking it was at fault but it's not, so I have a second hand one from my car in garage doing nowt if you want to buy it.

My other half is at excape Leeds on Sunday if you wanted to nip up there to meet him, or I can post it to you.
Thanks given by:
It's ok I've got one now, but thanks. Im certainly hoping this solves it. Once it's fixed it's going on ebay anyway. Found another 406 coupe and will be returning to the fold
Thanks given by:
It was the lift pump, fitted a new one from ECP in the end and it fired up straight away. The old one was slightly dislodged and wouldn't full compress, hence the problem.

Peugeot planet picked up intermittent faulty with low pressure fuel pump so it was spot on. There was also a high pressure pump fault for no pressure/leak but I assume this was caused by the faulty lift pump.

Cheers for everyone's help.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel pump drawings none starter problem mspdan 75 24,808 20-01-2015, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Poodle