Upgrade 1.4 8v to 1.6 8v

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade 1.4 8v to 1.6 8v
Hi all, sorry that I haven't been on here for ages and ages. I still have the 306 and at the moment he's still going well!

However, the engine is coming up to 100,000 miles now and I want something more powerful but still love the look of my car. The solution I have come up with is to swap for a 1.6 8v (VTR) engine. I know a few of you will say I may as well change for a different engine like a gti, but for ease and keeping cost down this is what I'd like to do, along with a fast road cam.

So my question is...if I buy an 8v engine then is it just as simple as swapping out my 1.4 motor for the 1.6, then give it a remap to make it work?!

Or will I need to change looms, driveshafts etc? I know I will need the 1.6 injectors and fuel rail/pump etc.

If anyone can help me it would be great! Found a cheap engine that I need to buy tomorrow if I'm going to get it!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
i'd have thought if you'd get the ECU from a ready running engine combined it shoudl be a matter of plug and play. mounts should line up fine, gearbox may be a concern though..?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Be alot cheaper to get a 1.6 ecu than get the 1.4 one remapped. But i guess you need mapping because of cam.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Odd coincidence lol, was just talking about you in a spotted thread! Tongue

Why a VTR engine? A 306 1.6 silver top is the same iirc, and will have the same engine loom, so you could literally just plug and play with that. I'm not sure if the engine loom on the saxo would be the same or not tbh.

TU gearbox's are the same in both btw.
Thanks given by:
Ye if I don't go for the new cam then an unlocked vtr ECU would be the cheapest and best option. My friend who works for Peugeot thought it would all be fine but wanted to double check. What about driveshafts?
Thanks given by:
1.4 to a 1.6 seems a bit pointless to be honest there isnt alot of difference. you can buy a dt for peanuts these days
00' 106 Indy - Moonstone - Sold
97' 106 XT 1.6 - Mayerling Green - Swapped
95' 306 P1 DT - Onyx - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Silver - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Onyx - SORN awaiting scrap
Thanks given by:
drive shafts will be the same and it should be a plug and play conversion well it is in a saxo when I did my mates I got it kind of running on the 1.4 ecu but it ran like crap did it just to make sure the engine was ok then threw a vtr ecu in and its still going well now its even on the 1.4 box haha
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2014, 07:48 PM)Foxy-jim Wrote: Ye if I don't go for the new cam then an unlocked vtr ECU would be the cheapest and best option. My friend who works for Peugeot thought it would all be fine but wanted to double check. What about driveshafts?

Your current drivesahafts should fit fine, I had a 106 1.6 gearbox on my 1.4 with the original shafts so I think they're all interchangeable on TU engines.

Not sure if the ECU would have to be unlocked, couldn't you just use the BSi usit from the donor car?
Thanks given by:
I would assume the ecu should work as they both should have immobilisers fitted if not its really easy to unlock it
Thanks given by:
It's a 25 bhp increase from 1.4 to vtr. Would my ECU handle running a 1.6 after being remapped?
Thanks given by:
I would just bang a vtr ecu in then you know they will work together properly
Thanks given by:
Ye good idea, will have a look about!
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2014, 07:56 PM)kierangent Wrote: I would assume the ecu should work as they both should have immobilisers fitted if not its really easy to unlock it

The ECU is coded to the immobiliser box (BSi) and the key fob chip though, so without being unlocked, it would need these parts from the donor car for it to work.

I'm not sure how well the ECU's on these remap Jim, no-one really does it on 306s, probably get better info from 106oc/saxp tbh. It will need remapping for the cam anyway though.
Thanks given by:
So it might be an idea to use my ECU for immobiliser etc. will ask them now.
Thanks given by:
yh so it will need unlocking then the ecu's arnt too bad to remap by brothers make had a 106 quicksilver with a vtr engine and a newman ph3 cam and it made 110 on the dyno after a remap went like mad for what it was
Thanks given by:
My ECU will need unlocking?
Thanks given by:
Your current ecu will be fine, and to be honest mines running with the 1.4 ecu and manifold and still pulling fairly well till I cba to find a unlocked 1.6 ecu
Thanks given by:
Ah decent. I've got a 4-2-1 manifold on mine ATM so will hopefully be quite nippy!
Thanks given by:
Spoke to a mapping firm near me and they said " that the 1.6 engine ( given that mine will be crammed and have a 4-2-1) can be mapped to run on the 1.4 ecu, although to get the best performance you'll need a 1.6 inlet and throttle body"
Thanks given by:
Got the inlet and throttle body fitted on mine already!
Thanks given by:
just put it on bike carbs and megajolt lol
Thanks given by:
Haha I wish, although I don't have the knowledge to do that really!
Thanks given by:
yh suppose would sound beaut tho what about throttle bodies
Thanks given by:
Would anyone know if I would need to change my alternator or power steering pump as we'll? Or are they transferable from my 1.4?
Thanks given by:
Same parts
Thanks given by:
Don't waste your time. Drop in a Gti engine or the one out of the c2
Thanks given by:
Has anyone actually completed a 16v 1.6 306 at all??? I've heard many people say they will but never seen one
Thanks given by:
I thought about the 16v but the engine is more expensive and im trying to do this on a budget!
Thanks given by:
I would definitely go for the 16v if you can, it's a fantastic engine that often pulls more than factory power on the dyno as standard, I would have thought for the price of a VTR engine, remap and cams you'd easy get a 16v...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
You wont get a decent remap cheap. If you get a 16v 1.6 you can use the original ecu which means you won't have to remap and then the remap money goes towards the 16v. Simples.
Thanks given by: