Throttle position sensor 2 error code ?po221?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Throttle position sensor 2 error code ?po221?
Had my new 306 HDi plugged in today after a few days of the engine management light being on and my local mechanic was able to tell me that it was the 'throttle position sensor 2' think i remembered the error code correctly as po221 or p0221 - could be mistaken.

Does anyone have any experience with this and could recommend anything to me before i make the costly decision to replace the sensor on a whim.

Thank you, nollafnhoj
Thanks given by:
check wiring, if ok, replace sensor.
Thanks given by:
(15-01-2014, 08:15 PM)welshpug Wrote: check wiring, if ok, replace sensor.

Please can you elaborate? Sorry, this is my first HDi and dont have a clue yet.

Where, how and what to use would be great...

Thanks
Thanks given by:
The sensors do go but I wouldn't replace it with a new one as second hand ones can be had working from here for a few quid.
Thanks given by:
thanks again for helping chris, appreciate it.

so you think replacing it is the only option?
Thanks given by:
As long as the wires look fine and unbroken then yeah replce it.

Piece of piss to do, take out the tensioning clip from the throttle outer cable, unplug the wiring, undo the 2 10mm bolts holding it to the side of the air box then push the potentimeter round to give loads of slack in the throttle cable twisting it away from the potentimeter then slide the end of he cable upwards.

refitting is the reverse of removal. Probably a 10 min job, maybe half hour tops if you pay the missus to do it.
Thanks given by:
I'll have a gander in the morning,

I know i'm like a broken record but thank you again for the advice.

Take care buddy

Still no rep button :-(
Thanks given by:
Have a read of this http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-9969.html
Thanks given by:
Thanks a lot mate. Thats helped me understand a lot

this guide is very good and simple to follow. seems like a common problem then. did you ever get p0221?
Thanks given by:
Yep, I've got it now. My car has suffered from it a lot. I'm going to check the main plug for the engine loom as they sometime get water in and corrosion causes all types of problems.

The elm light is on at the moment. The TPS only use to be £70 but now retail at over £400!

When they start to play up properly they the make driving dangerous as the revs hang and you sometimes lose all control over the throttle.
Thanks given by:
(15-01-2014, 09:23 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: The TPS only use to be £70 but now retail at over £400!

Bloody hell dude. Quite a hike! Although i suppose when common problems like this occur everyone wants to cash in on it.

It's weird because since the eml came on its gone off a few times but when its off the car refuses to start!!! turn ignition off, then back on, eml comes back on - but then fires up no problem.

Thanks again for the info, take care buddy
Thanks given by:
I am on my original, only problem I encountered was the plug pins went green with oxidation and brought the code up. Had usually given itself away idling at 1100 sporadically. Since I made a waterproof boot for it out of a rear numberplate plug boot its never returned. It gets dripped on when you open the bonnet by the watertrapped in the bonnet badge honeycomb.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
I would test the wires first though, for the sake of a couple of minutes you may as well. Just check the relevant ecu pin and earth for continuity using a multimeter. Iirc there's a labelled ecu plug diagram in the guide section.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Multiple HDI ECU error codes allye 16 2,789 29-06-2016, 04:01 AM
Last Post: Paul_13
  Throttle Position? JTaylor2005 11 2,233 22-06-2016, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Ruan
  Haynes error - HDi Headbolt torque error Poodle 23 15,390 26-10-2015, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Poodle