Heater Fuse Issues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heater Fuse Issues
Hi guys, Im having some trouble with my blower fuse blowing on my 1.9TD Meridian, if I switch the blower on the motor will blow and then the fuse will pop after about 5 seconds, so i tried unplugging the blower motor itself and the fuse still blew. I disconnected the A/C and the blower stayed on for longer with no blown fuse, I then started to get smoke coming from the centre console and the fuse blew after about 10-15 seconds Doh

I took the control panel off and saw that one of the pins on the plug had burnt, a diode had split and there was what appeared to be staining from the smoke on the white plastic that the circuit board sits in.

Could this split diode/ burnt out connector be causing the fuse to blow?
Or would there be a short somewhere on the blower loom that caused the diode/pin to get too hot? I have a new control panel on the way but don't really want to put it in if its just going to get ruined again! Any one know how to get the blower loom out? access seems pretty minimal on the drivers side, passenger side is ok, would it be a dash out job?

Any light shed on the subject would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Phil Smile
Thanks given by:
Anyone??
Thanks given by:
at a guess the burned connectors has blown the diode and popped the fuse
the diode is a protection diode it will work without it but ,the electronic switch on the board is probably fried

i would go and try a new/secondhand control panel Wink
Thanks given by:
Cheers pal Smile Is it possible that a short has caused the connector to burn or can it just happen?
Thanks given by:
loose connections burn plugs
shorts will pop fuses
Thanks given by:
Nice one, cheers buddy! will try my new control panel when it gets here and update! Smile
Thanks given by:
Cut the diode out and it works!! Although the circuit is now unprotected, but it will do temporarily. It's not actually on the road yet as I haven't even passed my test but its nice to be able to see out of the windscreen for the first time since i've had it! Smile Cheers again mate, great help!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Heater blower issues Dturbo john 5 2,626 13-03-2018, 01:53 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  Heater Blower Issues MY95 7 3,231 06-03-2018, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  Heater blower issues Michaelc5086 4 1,523 28-01-2016, 08:52 PM
Last Post: Michaelc5086