New car, dont really expect anyone to care as it is not french but here it is anyway

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New car, dont really expect anyone to care as it is not french but here it is anyway
Weight spoils a car completely. Look at Golfs, mk1/mk2 were under a ton and amazing to drive, mk3 got heavier and wasn't as good to drive, mk4 is heavier still and bloody horrible...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
I don't agree tbh...hated the pov 106 that weighed nothing - slid/jumped all over bumpy B roads and brakes just locked when you touched them as there wasn't enough weight over them. Plus going over the Orwell bridge on a windy it'd be all over the place! lol

It's always a compromise though, as with everything. Lightness is good for racing on a perfectly flat, smooth track......but not in the real world imo.
Thanks given by:
That 106 was f*cked Tom, you admitted it! My 106 GTI was the best handling car I've had, plenty of grip, sharp steering, good ride, handled rough roads well, plenty of feedback, plus it could hit 60 in 8 seconds with only 120bhp.
Thanks given by:
Lol Tom your talking about a basic spec 106. It was never going to handle well. It has the worlds skinniest tyres for a start (And i bet they were budgets) and cheap soft suspension. If you have ever driven a GTi or a 106 with GTi spec suspension, as Liam says you would know that they handle very very well. Better than a 306 id say!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I did go to look a sundance gti actually, but it needed too much doing to it.
Thanks given by:
(07-01-2014, 05:52 PM)Stephen Wrote: I did go to look a sundance gti actually, but it needed too much doing to it.

I would still love one of them but unfortunately they are all either wrecked or cost far too much. If you buy one that needs paintwork, good luck getting paint that matches!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Yeah this one needed paintwork as well as many other things, would of been a good project and i would of only had it as a second car but just too much work really
Thanks given by:
I have never driven anything that handles like a well set up 106. It almost gets to the point where you're sure it's not possible to go around corners so fast haha
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(07-01-2014, 05:49 PM)Niall Wrote: Lol Tom your talking about a basic spec 106. It was never going to handle well. It has the worlds skinniest tyres for a start (And i bet they were budgets) and cheap soft suspension. If you have ever driven a GTi or a 106 with GTi spec suspension, as Liam says you would know that they handle very very well. Better than a 306 id say!

Fair enough but this isn't about handling - it's more about grip.

Yes the tyres were skinny but if there was enough weight to keep them in contact with the tarmac there'd be a lot more grip. The 306's were the same at the rear without a full tank or a boot full of crap....except the one with the Koni (solid) rear shocks lol, that jumped even worse! Might have something to do with the rear beam too tbh....the cars with proper suspension deal with the same situation better... lol

Maybe it's personal preference as well.... I prefer something with a bit of weight for daily driving, don't expect everyone to lol.

Not gonna say any more on this this though, just spamming Stephens thread, sorry Stephen lol.
Thanks given by:
Haha spam away mate i dont care

I enjoy driving my mondeo to be fair and thats a big car
Thanks given by:
To be fair even my mates old 1.1 106 with standard suspension handled pretty well, I think the issue is that yours was knackered Tom lol

Stephen I'd 10000% recommend a 106 GTI if you don't do much motorway, if you do I'd give one a miss though because they are HATEFUL on the motorway.

In fact, scratch that, I'd buy a Saxo VTS which is the same car at half the price Wink
Thanks given by:
See I've only driven a VTS which I thought handled well, my black xud that bigcheez now owns handled epic as it was the right height, but I still prefer the handling of my vec over all of them.

Yes you can sling small cars into the twisties easier but there's something about the vectra, once you get used to the fact it is a big car, they handle brilliantly, they grip like no car ive ever driven & I hope for once Tom will agree, I know I've got very wide wheels and it's on its arse but I have driven quicker round bends in this than I have ever dared in any of my other cars! Which surprises me for it being such a big car.

It's never slipped its arse out, never experienced under or oversteer.

I think the weight of a car (within reason!) doesn't have much of an impact if it's got the right set up & the right driving style.

Anyway back on topic fair play for doing something different Stephen, blinkers are never good!
Thanks given by:
Surely this has to be your mums car or sister maybe? I can't think of any reason a straight guy would even consider it!
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
Good for you
Thanks given by: